I am not fit to work - would they accept these reasons?

gloryninja
gloryninja Posts: 35 Forumite
edited 25 June 2019 at 5:27PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hello!

I have recently applied for universal credit for the first time and i have mentioned that i am unable to work due to Depression and Drug addiction therapy .

I am 26 years old , got a full BSc degree and graduated back in 2015 and for most of my life i have always worked until early 2017 when everything started to go bad.

Many things lead me to a very bad drug addiction problem which i am currently getting support for. I am on a methadone treatment and i have found it very difficult to get back to work.

I have actually got hired in two different jobs where i literally quit 2 weeks later due to my health causing a problem. I am not a lazy person and if i was healthy enough to work, i will do anything to go back to work but in my conditions right now, it is very difficult to do so.

I have a doctors sick note for Drug addiction therapy and on anti depressants for my depression and methadone for my addiction.

Under UC, am i eligible for medical benefits ? I will be seeing my coach/worker soon who will see if i am unfit for work etc but i know how many people assume drug addiction is not a good enough reason and sometiems even shunned but with advice from my GP who provided me the sick note and quitting 2 jobs in less then 6 month due to my health, is that good enough to prove that i am unfit to work?

I am not taking drugs daily anymore (but still do just not daily) since i am on methadone and it is a process for me to get back to a healthier state which i am dying to get too but right now, i am not able to get a job under my circumstances and afraid that they wont take me seriously for depression or drug addiction.

any advice?

Comments

• Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You will need to complete both a paper assessment and a face to face assessment. You will need to meet the criteria to show you have limited capability for work, or limited capability for Work Related activity.
    Have a look at the descriptors, or better still, get CAB to help you with the form.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/getting-universal-credit-if-youre-sick-or-disabled/
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's not your work coach that will determine whether you're fit for work or not. For this your work coach will refer you for the work capability assessment. Once this is done you'll receive a work capability assessment, which you'll need to fill in and return with all your evidence to support your claim.

You'll most likely need a face to face work capability assessment and you'll be asked questions about your daily life and how your conditions affect you. They will assess your ability to do any type of work. Once the assessment is complete they will write a report and return it to the DWP with recommendations in it.

A decision maker will look at the report and make a decision. Once this is made you'll either be found fit for work, have limited capability for work, or limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) if the decision is LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent in your first fit note.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/Ill-Injured-or-Disabled/Universal-Credit-Capability-for-work-assessment

https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I'm not familiar with how UC works, but if somebody is claiming to be unable to work due to illness won't they have to provide a medical certificate (Fit Note) from their doctor?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with how UC works, but if somebody is claiming to be unable to work due to illness won't they have to provide a medical certificate (Fit Note) from their doctor?
    They already have one. Lots of people still call them "sick notes" but it's the same thing of course.
    gloryninja wrote: »
    I have a doctors sick note
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    They already have one. Lots of people still call them "sick notes" but it's the same thing of course.

‘Fit Note’ being government speak for ‘sick note’ as expressed in the language of us ordinary people given that the purpose of the note is to state why one is not fit!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    ‘Fit Note’ being government speak for ‘sick note’ as expressed in the language of us ordinary people given that the purpose of the note is to state why one is not fit!

I thought the purpose of calling it a 'fit note' was so that the doctor could state what the person was able to do?
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    If your depression is being treated and you are using methodone to come off the heroin then what exactly is the health issue that stops you being able to do any job at all?
  • ikcdab
    ikcdab Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i think the answer has been given correctly above. You need to apply for the LCW element of UC - you do this by completing a form that asks you to describe how your illness affects you. This will be assessed and you will be interviewed. You score points for how closely you match the descriptors. If you score enough points you get it, if you don't then you don't. All you can do is apply and see what happens. You should ask your doctor to provide evidence to support your claim.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's not about the label but about the impact it has on you. So you will need to be specific about the reasons you were unable to continue with the jobs and how you meet the descriptors, as above.
    Saying "I'm on methadone" and "I have depression" isn't enough to get you anywhere.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    It's not about the label but about the impact it has on you. So you will need to be specific about the reasons you were unable to continue with the jobs and how you meet the descriptors, as above.
    Saying "I'm on methadone" and "I have depression" isn't enough to get you anywhere.
    Indeed. I’ve friends with depression anxiety and a bad cocaine and alcohol habit who manage to be high performers twelve hours per day in the city.

As you say, the labels are irrelevant, the OP needs to explain what it is that is stopping them working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure