PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Notjusta_Mum
    Options
    Hi Mrs M, please could I join this challenge, I have dipped in and out for a while but the food bill has been ridiculous lately!
    Please put me down for £300 this is for 2 adults and 3 teenagers plus their friends who join us at short notice! I would like to do better than this in the long run but spend about £500 at the moment.
    GC/Aug2009 296 spent/300. GC/Sept2009 62/300. £100 Clothes Challenge 100/78
  • kirstenc
    kirstenc Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys, got my first shop in today, total cost of £27.41 plus £9 for the taxi! under budget but still...I hate having to pay for transport!!

I am determined to grow the stuff that weighs the most...would get the bus that way and be saving money all over the place! any tips for starting to grow my own veg??

anyway, couple of the bargains include iceberg lettuce for 15p, and my cooking bacon for £1.13, tons of it!!

Im off to update my sig, and try to find ways of cutting down on the travelling money!
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kezlou wrote: »
    Sorry about that didnt realise.

Okay shortcrust pastry

Cornflake tart:-
    Base just shortcrust pastry
    Mix half fat to flour, so 4oz of marg to 8oz of plain flour. Crumble till it looks like bread crumbs.
    Add in extremely cold water a little at a time till it starts to bind together and try to shape it into a ball.
    Place in a and let it chill in the fridge for about 30 mins or till your ready to use it.

For the filling:
    175g seedless raspberry jam
    50g butter / margarine
    50g caster sugar / granulated
    2tbsp golden syrup
    175g cornflakes

Bake the pastry in the oven till cooked
    While the pastry is cooking make the batter by mixing margarine, sugar together till its looks fluffy.
    Remove pastry, place the batter on top followed by golden syrup, then place the jam on top then the cornflakes.
    Place back into the oven gas mark 5 till the cornflakes look golden brown about 20ish minutes
    Serve hot or cold.

Brill thanks - I am ok with the pastry just wasnt sure what to do with the filling smiley-ashamed001.gif
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Evening everyone

Tonight for tea we had risotto with some leftover cooked chicken from a roast that I'd frozen, some chopped bacon, leftover green beans chopped up small (grown in our garden), spring onions (from the garden) and a tiny courgette also from the garden! DD12 cooked it which was nice for a change.:j

This is the first year I've had a go at growing veg and yesterday I picked two huge tubs full of french beans which I've blanched and frozen along with some broccoli that I've grown too. The tomatoes are still green but we've got loads of carrots, parsnips and lettuces growing well. If you've never grown veg before I'd encourage everyone to have a go as it's saving us lots of money so far.:T

The freezer's starting to look bare and goodness knows what I'm going to do for our evening meal tomorrow. Probably leftovers with everyone having something different!

Good luck everyone.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Anyway, not much to say, except that I'm going to a pampered cheF party tomorrow - has anyone tried/got any products? Website has horrendously expensive products, but you have to buy something don't you? Was thinking of the oil mister as I don't have one, but think it would come in handy.
    xx

Used to be a Pampered Chef Consultant, love the product but I agree some are very expensive! I will say the Stoneware is fab though, it's all I use (I earned mine..)

My very first purchase was the corn on the cob knobs.. fab inventions ( I have noticed this week that lakeland do some very similar and probably cheaper)
    That and the recepie book (small one) are good too, very adaptable!
    x Hope that helps Coxy!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Honey39
    Honey39 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I had my first internet/online shop of the month yesterday, which came to £53.43. It wasn't great, but it *does* include a lot of extra stuff like moisturiser, conditioner, washing powder etc. My full list is as follows:
    • 1 Burgen Soya And Linseed Bread 800g £1.11
    • 1 Punnet Apricots Each£1.49
    • Green Seedless Grapes 500g Pack Each £1.00
    • Tesco Sweet Celery Hearts Each £0.64
    • 1Red Peppers Loose Each Class 1 Each£0.60
    • Courgettes Loose Class 1 £0.35
    • 1Loose Red Onions Class 2£0.211
    • Tesco Jalapeno & Red Pepper Houmous 200g £1.14
    • 1Tesco Celery Fruit Nutsalad 300g £1.09
    • 1Tesco Black & Green Olives With Feta 100g 1.19
    • 1Tesco Finest Potato Salad 275g Each £1.09
    • 1Tesco Salad Selection 400g X£1.00
    • Unwashed Rocket Salad 60g £0.69
    • 1Tesco Chicken & Sweetcorn Sandwich Filler 250g £1.31
    • Grated Parmesan Cheese 50g £0.85
    • Rowan Glen Biological Low Fat Scottish Natural Yoghurt £0.20
    • 1Finest Chicken Chasseur 400g £4.00
    • Tesco Finest Red Cabbage And Apple 300g £2.69
    • Tesco Finest Red Thai Chicken Curry 375g £3.75
    • 2Batchelors Cup A Soup Special Mushroom Granules 4s £2.52
    • 1Tesco Uht Skim Milk 500ml 0.44
    • 1Encona Thai Sweet Chili Sauce 142ml£0.85
    • 1Innocent P / Apple Banana & Coconutsmoothie 1 Litre £2.96
    • 1Marques De Leon White Wine 75cl £2.83
    • Ibuprofen 200mg 16 Caplets £0.32
    • Paracetamol 500mg 16 Caplets £0.20
    • Tea Tree Conditioner 500ml £0.99
    • Large Cotton Wool Padsdouble Faced 50 £0.60
    • L'oreal Dermo Exgentle Eye Make Up Remover 125ml £2.19
    • Dove Body Silk 300ml £4.63
    • Silk & Delicateshandwash £1.03
    • Tesco Value Food Bags 50's £0.30
    • Tesco Value Batteries Aaa 4pk £0.70
    • Cream Napkins 33cm 50pk £0.74
    • Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream 125g £2.49
    I know that seems high, but there is a lot of non-food stuff in there as well. I have a rule that I try not to do any other shopping during the week, although I might do a little light shopping at the weekend for something nice for tea. I try to buy all my toiletries and cleaning supplies and booze online as well in this shop. This will also provide all my lunches for the week as well.

Happy for any tips - there is a lot of expensive food in there, but I am trying to eat healthily as well, and lose weight. Yikes!

Great thread, am really enjoying this challenge.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NDS for me yesterday so pleased with thatsmiley-happy119.gif and just need to do a little shop tonight for bits and pieces like salad, milk, food bags, plasters and other little annoying things! Shouldnt be too much (I hope). Also did a freezer inventory last night (whilst defrosting and cleaning out freezer) and I have enough in there to do me nearly a month - providing I only eat sausage dishes and mince dishes smiley-rolleyes008.gif
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • misscreditcrunch
    Options
    Hi, I need to re-join grocery challenge!!!!!!!!!! have failed miserably in the past and have been way to busy to even look on here for months. We have a household of 9 people at present plus one dog! (and any one else that happens to land on the doorstep and require feeding) i am desperate for some help and advice from all you money savings experts on how to feed everyone healthy foods without spending too much money!!
    :jApril 2011 Grocery Challenge £116.57/£600.00:jone NSD:rotfl:
  • barneydee_2
    barneydee_2 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Xspender you mentioned that you made a lemon curd cake can you post the details on here as it sounds Lush and i would like to have a go making it. Well an other week until payday yesturday i had to hunt around to find enough to get my ouster card topped up so i could get to work, hubby did a small shop £13.44 i am keeping a weekly spreed sheet so i can see where we are wasting money i.e. booze, toilertries, mags(my Downful:eek:),cat food(5 cats plus a few strays) we have got this down to £32.00 a month how much do you spend on cat food, can i do it cheaper? well must dash got to go to work

Dee
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning All,

MrsGibbs1503 - thanks for your comments re: pampered chef. Will see how little I can get away with spending....:rotfl:

Honey39 - You might want to try shifting down a brand from the Finest range - that'll save a bit. Also the prepacked salads/sandwich fillers etc. work out fairly expensive. Definitely worth checking out your local market for f&v and also making your own s/w fillings - nicer, tastier and so much healthier!!

I spent another £5.88 yesterday in MrS on water softener powder, evap. milk, green beans and 2L of pep$i plus some sweets for the children. Have also made a list of things to take to Norfolk to see us through the week breakfast/packed lunch-wise, plus a couple of meals in. Came to £22 so not too bad. Will get these items at MrT later on this week.

When we get back we will still have 7 days to get through so need to leave some money in the pot for that. I have no idea how people spend so little on groceries (£32!?!?!) - I make all of my own food, except for the odd fishfingers/dippers meal when the children have a friend over. I also buy value brands and whoopsies (if they are something I know I'd use) where possible. Still trying to keep to £400 per month for me, DH, DS1(10), DD(7) and DS2(5) plus our spaniel.

Have a good day everyone.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure