How is universal credit worked out?

Sort of an update and another query about UC. Thanks for your support over the past few days!

My partner and I did a joint UC on Friday. My ESA payments were suspended but the advisor reassured me that he’d keep my claim open so there would be ‘no gaps’ and I’d be enetitled to additional income on UC.

When we applied for UC, they barely asked us any questions on the online form. It’s lead me to wonder how they will calculate our claim? I always assumed they’d ask my partners earnings and hours that he works per week, but they didn’t ask anything about his income.

Of course, I mentioned that I am in the support group for ESA when we applied for UC online and nothing much was said about that either other than I couldn’t keep claiming ESA if we got UC. I already knew this and I’m pretty sure it was just an automated message.

We were also offered an ‘advanced payment’ of up to £1,000. Again, I’ve no idea how this was worked out. The online form said that the amount of ‘advanced payment’ we could borrow wasn’t an indication of how much universal credit we’d get. But surely it was an indication because most couples can only claim up to about £400 for an advanced payment. So why were we entitled to more? We applied for a £500 advance and it goes into my partners bank tomorrow.
On my journal it says “advance payment approved. Type of advance - benefit transfer.’ Is this relating to my ESA?

So my question is how does this all work? We provided no information about my partners working hours or earnings yet they’re telling us they will have worked out our universal credit by the 15th July.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    They will not ask you about your partner's income etc. He has to claim also and will be asked those questions. Your two separate claims are then linked to make a joint claim.

The advance payment is just that - an advance payment of UC. It is nothing to do with your ESA. The advance payment is an interest free loan which will be repaid by deductions from your future UC payments.

There is information about how UC is calculated here https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Calculating-Universal-Credit

You will be entitled to the standard couple allowance. Because you have been in the ESA Support Group you should also get the LCWRA element.

If you have children you will get a child element.

If you rent your home you will be entitled to a housing element.

If you get daily living PIP your partner can be treated as your carer if he looks after you 35 hours/week. If this applies you would be entitled to a carer element.

Deductions from the maximum amount will be made for any earnings and for joint savings over £6,000.

You and your partner will both have to attend the JobCentre and agree Claimant Commitments if you have not already done so.

Very important that you check your UC online journal frequently to see what the DWP require you to do in order to progress your claim.

If you think DWP do not have all the relevant information either ring them or post information in your journal.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Was it contributions based ESA you were on or income related ? Is your husband starting a new job ? You will get an extra LCWRA element on your Uc of £336 a month but you may need to chase it up. ESA and Uc don't always communicate the information between them. It can take a while to be added.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure