Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• Some advice please..
    We were on a flight from New York to Heathrow and should have got a connecting flight then to Manchester, however because of the flight leaving New York was delayed by approx 48 minutes it meant that we missed our connecting flight to Manchester. The earliest the airline could find an alternative flight was almost 8 hours later. We booked all flights as a package holiday through BA online. Have we got any chance of claiming under the EU compensation rule and if so how to go about it? Thanks in advance.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What was the reason for the 48 min delay in New York?
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some advice please..
    We were on a flight from New York to Heathrow and should have got a connecting flight then to Manchester, however because of the flight leaving New York was delayed by approx 48 minutes it meant that we missed our connecting flight to Manchester. The earliest the airline could find an alternative flight was almost 8 hours later. We booked all flights as a package holiday through BA online. Have we got any chance of claiming under the EU compensation rule and if so how to go about it? Thanks in advance.
    What's the flight number for the NYC to LHR leg?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Some advice please..

Yes, you are due compensation for your delay, so long as the delay was not due to an EC. I doubt it was.

Apply for EU261 compensation via the BA website and see what they say.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Yes, you are due compensation for your delay, so long as the delay was not due to an EC. I doubt it was.

Apply for EU261 compensation via the BA website and see what they say.

Good luck.

Why are you so sure that they are due compensation, so long as it was not due to EC?
    Are you sure it was a BA flight? It could have been an AA flight booked through BA.
  • How do I find out out what the delay was? I have run the details through 'Bott & Co' solicitors and it confirms that I am probably due 600 Euros per passenger, but they take £180 per person and other costs if required.
  • Tyzap
    How do I find out out what the delay was? I have run the details through 'Bott & Co' solicitors and it confirms that I am probably due 600 Euros per passenger, but they take £180 per person and other costs if required.

You can diy and it costs nothing.

Apply for EU261 compensation of €600 p/p directly via the BA website, lets see what they say😀

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 20 June 2019 at 8:35PM
    I would like some advice please as BA has denied my compensation claim.

Flying home from JFK, my flight pulled back from stand more or less on time, but as it was tugged it hit the plane next to it (not as dramatic as it sounds, didn't feel/hear anything). Plane carried on taxi way but was called from stand. We spent some time holding, then returned to the stand. We were on the plane for approximately 4 hours before being let off.

That our delay was longer than 4 hours is not in doubt. We have however had our request for compensation denied by BA on the grounds that these were circumstances beyond their control, ie aircraft damage. This is in spite of the fact that we were advised by the staff at the airport to make the claim!

I cant see anything on the CAA website that classes this as exempt. The only thing I can think of is that the tug was operated by a third party, but wouldn't that be under contract?

The plane next door was stationary at the time. There was bad weather in the area at the time, but this was not the cause of the delay and this was not part of the response by BA.

TIA for your help.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Tyzap
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    I would like some advice please as BA has denied my compensation claim.

Flying home from JFK, my flight pulled back from stand more or less on time, but as it was tugged it hit the plane next to it (not as dramatic as it sounds, didn't feel/hear anything). Plane carried on taxi way but was called from stand. We spent some time holding, then returned to the stand. We were on the plane for approximately 4 hours before being let off.

That our delay was longer than 4 hours is not in doubt. We have however had our request for compensation denied by BA on the grounds that these were circumstances beyond their control, ie aircraft damage. This is in spite of the fact that we were advised by the staff at the airport to make the claim!

I cant see anything on the CAA website that classes this as exempt. The only thing I can think of is that the tug was operated by a third party, but wouldn't that be under contract?

The plane next door was stationary at the time. There was bad weather in the area at the time, but this was not the cause of the delay and this was not part of the response by BA.

TIA for your help.

IMO this type of accident is ‘inherent within the operation of an airline’ and as such they should pay compensation.

Inform them you are not happy with their assessment of the situation and ask them to reconsider. If they will not budge, ask for a referral to CEDR who will independently adjudicate on your case.

It’s a similar situation to mobile steps damaging an aircraft. In that case the law says compensation is due.

Good luck.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Many thanks Tyzap. I'll do just that.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback