Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lionel hutz
    • By lionel hutz 24th May 19, 8:18 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 2Thanks
    lionel hutz
    Funds investment advice
    • 24th May 19, 8:18 PM
    Funds investment advice 24th May 19 at 8:18 PM
    Since paying off my mortgage I have been putting the money I would have used for that into an ISA. I have saved up 25K but it isnít really doing anything for me and I donít expect to need it so Iíve been researching funds (with some help from on here).
    I am looking at long term, approx 10 years minimum and I am happy to take a risk.
    Your opinions on what Iím going to do would be appreciated....
    Invest 15-20K equally into two funds transferring the current ISA, Baillie Gifford global discovery AND Legal & General global 100 fund (one aimed at smaller companies, one aimed at larger companies).
    I was also going to invest £500 each month using this years ISA into something more lower risk such as HSBC European index or Vanguards FTSE 250 fund.
    Keep the remaining 10K in the ISA for emergencies.
Page 2
    • OldBill
    • By OldBill 27th May 19, 12:56 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    OldBill
    Fidelity Multi Asset Allocator funds give the UK an amount that fairly accurately reflects it's share of global market capitalisation.
    Originally posted by A_T
    Just had a quick glance now & will have to check out more thoroughly later - but it looks like the Fidelity Investment Funds IV - Fidelity Multi Asset Allocator Adventurous Fund Y Acc (snappy title!), or something like it, looks like the product I may go for. It would have taken me weeks to find it.

I've only had a swift sniff at the above for now. If anyone knows of any problem with it, I'd be grateful for your comments.

A_T - I am much indebted to you - please accept a "thanks" vote on the forum.
    • cmondynamite
    • By cmondynamite 27th May 19, 2:02 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    cmondynamite
    Ditched actively managed funds and went ahead with FTSE All-World index fund. Now I can sleep relaxed knowing, that realistically speaking I couldn't have done it any better.
    Originally posted by pioruns
    I really like the look of the HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund Accumulation C, as it has very low ongoing costs. So, thinking of using my full ISA allowance this year on this fund. Does anyone have any experience of this fund ... good or bad?
    • Prism
    • By Prism 27th May 19, 2:29 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    Prism
    I really like the look of the HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund Accumulation C, as it has very low ongoing costs. So, thinking of using my full ISA allowance this year on this fund. Does anyone have any experience of this fund ... good or bad?
    Originally posted by cmondynamite
    You can check the previous performance of funds on Trustnet. This one pretty much follows the FTSE world index exactly as you would expect. So you should get an entirely average world equity peformance considering the low fee. Most passive funds like this simply are - not good or bad.
    • OldBill
    • By OldBill 28th May 19, 6:10 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    OldBill
    Fidelity Multi Asset Allocator funds give the UK an amount that fairly accurately reflects it's share of global market capitalisation.
    Originally posted by A_T
    I'm now pretty certain that this is the one that suits me. It ticks all of the boxes in terms of both sector and geographical diversification, price, etc. Most grateful to A_T for pointing me in that direction.

Interactive Investor looks like the best platform, as I hope to be acquiring another couple of ISAs in the next 2 years, so a flat platform fee looks attractive compared to a %age. I do note, however, that ii is about to revise its fees from next month. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    • Simon.Edmunds
    • By Simon.Edmunds 1st Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Simon.Edmunds
    I'm now pretty certain that this is the one that suits me. It ticks all of the boxes in terms of both sector and geographical diversification, price, etc. Most grateful to A_T for pointing me in that direction.

Interactive Investor looks like the best platform, as I hope to be acquiring another couple of ISAs in the next 2 years, so a flat platform fee looks attractive compared to a %age. I do note, however, that ii is about to revise its fees from next month. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Originally posted by OldBill
    If you aren't trading then don't use ii - they are too expensive as are Hargreaves Lansdown.

Go for x-o or i-web. Both regulated by FCSA and v. cheap. Check first (call them) to see if the fund/ETF/IT you want to invest in can be purchased though.

Your choice of fund needs re-consideration. Low performance for its sector and expensive to run.
    if i had known then what i know now
    • OldBill
    • By OldBill 1st Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    OldBill
    If you aren't trading then don't use ii - they are too expensive as are Hargreaves Lansdown.

Go for x-o or i-web. Both regulated by FCSA and v. cheap. Check first (call them) to see if the fund/ETF/IT you want to invest in can be purchased though.

Your choice of fund needs re-consideration. Low performance for its sector and expensive to run.
    Originally posted by Simon.Edmunds
    Yes, I've had a while to think about it and am graduating back to either:
    (i) Vanguard All-World ETF (VWRL); or
    (ii) Vanguard Global All-Cap.

Bonds - to be decided.

Since it would be good to have everything in one package, it would be interesting to see what BlackRock come up with with the new MyMap series, though, to compete with Vanguard's LifeStrategy:
    https://citywire.co.uk/funds-insider/news/blackrock-undercuts-vanguard-with-launch-of-lifestrategy-rival/a1233396

iWeb for the platform.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

3,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin