MSE News: Warning over new compulsory car insurance rules

Comments

• kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    How long before the insurance companies insist on them being told if you are towing a trailer or caravan? If you don't they refuse to pay up in the event of an accident..... it'll happen.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • Fire & theft cover only carries no road use is very cheap and you can increase cover when required to drive... !
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Fire/theft cover won't be enough when continuous insurance comes in - that will be for continuous third party minimum rta insurance.
  • It has been in force since 4th February.

The Road Safety Act 2006 (Commencement Order No.6) Order 2011, introduced it.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    So you keep saying!

Nevertheless it isn't!
  • Why not? is the legislation wrong?
  • MSE_Guy wrote: »
    My ignorance about the difference between a motor caravan and a caravan. Corrected.
    The next money making manchine will be registering caravans with number plates insuring them, mot certificates all round for every body to get a slice of the cake like they do aboard
  • Right I'm just after some clarification, I have a car and a bike, when my bike insurance ran out last June, I waited till the middle of July to insure again because I didn't have the money, it was taxed in June for a year (£15). If I do something like this, this year I risk being fined by the government? Even though the bike is down the side of my house chained to the wall?

Is this supposed to reduce the number of uninsured drivers, the people who currently don't give a damn about the law already; in that they drive around uninsured anyways, and one ammendment to the law isn't suddenly going to get them to change their ways.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Right I'm just after some clarification, I have a car and a bike, when my bike insurance ran out last June, I waited till the middle of July to insure again because I didn't have the money, it was taxed in June for a year (£15). If I do something like this, this year I risk being fined by the government? Even though the bike is down the side of my house chained to the wall?

Exactly.
    It still requires insurance if taxed, even if it's in a condition that it will not run and is in a secure private space.

Hmm.
    I wonder what the insurance company would react to if your declared modifications were that you'd removed the engine.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    The subheader on the 'new car insurance rules' stating 'unless kept off-road' is very dissapointing, and may tend to make people who keep their cars off-road skip the rest of the article, as they will think it doesn't apply to them!

SORN is what's meant of course, but for those not keeping up, they could easily think they're fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure