Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Options

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rainmac wrote: »
    French knots, they are my pet hate!!! :mad: Never managed to conquer them properly, good luck with your cottage - post a pic when your done!!!

I'll have to research how to do them when it comes to it. Is there anything else I can do instead of the french knots? I noticed at the weekend I have another kit which is bears in tutus. All around the edges of the tutus its all french knots. I thought about maybe sewing beads or sequins on instead, do you think that would look ok? I thought it might stand out more.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Shelly

I use beads in place of french knots on some kits.. things like flower stamens, or like you are thinking of -around the tutu -i think it looks better...
    But my pet hate is backstitch :eek: .... the photostitch pics may have a lot of -1 stitch in this colour..1 in that but at least they don't use back stitch :T . I have to say that i pick and choose which bits of backstitch i put on as a lot of kits put too much on and it ens up loooking messy...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Seed beads are a great replacement for french knots and soooo much easier!!! :rotfl:
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • rainmac
    Options
    Nicolefury wrote: »
    I haven't cross stitched for years, but I've just bought a basic kit of ebay to ease me back into it. If I still really enjoy it, I'd like to make some semi big things for christmas pressies.

I made my mum a cross stitched decoration for the Xmas tree last Xmas. Just found a design I liked and stitched it, added a bit of wadding and another peice of aida for the back and stitched around the edge, adding ribbon at the top to hang it. It looked lovely when I'd finished (even if I say so myself!) and intend to do some more this year :D
  • Nicolefury
    Nicolefury Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    My kit arrived this morning...turns out its all backstitch! Going pretty well though, nearly finished!
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • Nicolefury
    Options
    dsci0044de2.jpg

It's not perfect, as you can tell by the picture on the front of the kit, but I'm pretty pleased with it as its the first thing i've stitched in about 6/7 years!
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • rainmac
    Options
    dsci0044de2.jpg

It's not perfect, as you can tell by the picture on the front of the kit, but I'm pretty pleased with it as its the first thing i've stitched in about 6/7 years!

I love it! Pooh's expression is great :D What are you going to do with it, frame it, give it as a present?
  • Nicolefury
    Options
    I might turn it into a birth sampler with the left over thread - my nephews due in the next few days, so it could be a real nice gift :)
  • rainmac
    Options
    I might turn it into a birth sampler with the left over thread - my nephews due in the next few days, so it could be a real nice gift :)

Brilliant idea!
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a look on e-bay today to see if there were any bargain kits to be had. Sadly not but I did come across a kit I would love to have a crack at. Its got the heads of a Tiger, Lion, Leopard and Cheetah in a row but its on black aida. Now I love big cats, especially Tigers but the black aida worries me a bit. I assume its harder to sew onto black material, am I right? I am tempted to buy the kit but obviously don't want to waste my money.

Reading that back, a though occured to me. I guess I could just go buy a small piece of black aida and just do a few stitches on it to see what I think :confused:

Your thoughts ladies would still be appreciated though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure