PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just spent £50 on a Morrison's delivery, making £75/150 so far :eek:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've now spent £173.23 out of our £450 budget which is more than I was hoping to spend by this point. I think the aim for next month is to nip top up shops in the bud! Hopefully I'll still come in on budget. We've already got the alcohol and treat items for Christmas we just need to stuff for the main meal.
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Monthly budget will aim for £300 £143.30/£300
    To include all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff, cat food and cat litter, non alcoholic drinks.
    NSD will aim for at least 15 7/15

Happy birthday madammin:p

Spent my £50 morries stamps ( +£1.50) today that my dm gave me but they nearly didn't accept them all as some of them were dated 2017. I had firm words with the customer service person :mad: and after several phonecalls later they were accepted. My DM bought them in January this year so it was morris's fault for giving her out of date ones.

Then went onto to spend £48.30 or so in Aldi where I now do most of my grocery shopping.

So quite an expedition today! Plus vcar parks chocca! Didnt expect that on a tuesday morning:eek:.
    Took me even longer as after watching the banned icy land xmas advert I am making a huge effort to avoid anything at all that contains unsustainable palm oil, quite difficult to find. Fortunately there are alternative goods that do not contain any palm oil.

So well stocked up now. Meal plan done for next 6 days. Hopefully no top up shops needed till next week......they play havoc with our NSD says don't they :(:D
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 December 2018 at 6:29PM
    We arrived back from New Zealand on Saturday morning and, although I've pushed myself to function like a normal human being, the jetlag only left me today. Fortunately, I could work from home for Monday and today.

Please can you revise my GC budget, Elsie? In the end, there sas £35 to bring forward from last month, so our December GC budget is £155 not whatever I thought it was going to be. (Edited to add: I've just checked and it was £158. No idea what happened to the £3 but there was only £35 in the grocery purse when we got back on Saturday.)

I have three GC shops to declare from Sunday. We made use of Lidl's £5-off-when-you-spend-£40 voucher that someone mentioned in November's GC thread and bought a ham (£24.99), plus two frozen lobster (approx £5 each), as well as some more usual groceries, spending £42.75 after the voucher was taken into account.

We also popped to MrT's, where we spent £29.25, and the local farm shop (for some much needed veg). I can't remember the exact figure for the farm shop - I was a zombie - so I'll put it down as £5, which brings my total spend so far to £77/£155, leaving £78 remaining for the rest of the month.

What's grocery shopping like in New Zealand? We stayed in a series of holiday flats, so I got the chance to wander around a few convenience stores and supermarket. The main supermarket chains are Countdown and New World (both subsidiaries of Australian supermarkets). There's also a smaller chain, which I think is a series of independents carrying the one branding, called "Four Square". Once you take account of the exchange rate, I reckon groceries are slightly more expensive than here. Fresh food items seem to be about the same price, while processed foods are 1.5 to 2.5 times more costly. And I think they have a sugar tax.

The hardest thing to find was squash. Even though I grew up on the "West Island" (aka Australia) where "cordial" is common, the Kiwis don't appear to have much of a taste for it. After scouring every convenience store in Auckland during our first 5 days, I managed to find a bottle of blackcurrant "Mr Thriftee" in Rotorua, which turned out to be highly concentrated and sugar free. You use 1 teaspoon per glass.

You'll have heard the news about the poor girl who was murdered in Auckland? Every shop window, lamp-post and traffic light had "missing" posters for her, when we were there last week. Her picture was everywhere even though, at that point, she'd only been missing for a day or two. The whole city seemed to be looking for her.
    Eeeek.. Need to sit down and go through receipts.. No idea where I am, that said I don't think I've spent too much?!
    The big 40 tomorrow.. Really excited about it, have a week ol nice things planned :)
    Will update everything on weds :A
    Have a good week everyone ;)

Happy Birthday MadamMim! I hope you have a wonderful day and that life only gets better from here on.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £18.35 in Aldi, bits and bobs will try to avoid shops for as long as possible.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • We've spent £13.76 since last post.

£67.76/£200.
    £132.24 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Please can you revise my GC budget, Elsie? In the end, there sas £35 to bring forward from last month, so our December GC budget is £155 not whatever I thought it was going to be. (Edited to add: I've just checked and it was £158. No idea what happened to the £3 but there was only £35 in the grocery purse when we got back on Saturday.)

That's updated for you :D
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    You'll have heard the news about the poor girl who was murdered in Auckland? Every shop window, lamp-post and traffic light had "missing" posters for her, when we were there last week. Her picture was everywhere even though, at that point, she'd only been missing for a day or two. The whole city seemed to be looking for her.
    That poor girl - I have friends in New Zealand on Facebook so I was seeing a lot of posts about it. Really sad that it turned out to be the worst news.

I've spent some of my remaining £40, but haven't added it up yet. Meant to last night but time just ran away with me. Will make an effort to do so tonight as delaying it is what is scuppering me and I lose track of everything!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Thank you everyone for your kind birthday wishes:smileyhea
    Have totted up and added to my sig, £99.12 spent so far.. Not bad considering I had no idea how much I'd spent n where! :T
    Need very little this week and freezer is full, Xmas meats are in there so minimal bits needed for the rest..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • We've spent £47.34 since last post.

We did a big shop so things like coffee, noodles, pulses, tinned vegetables etc.
    A few fresh items, a couple of easy peelers, couple of pears, some milk for OH, 1kg of butter for OH etc but most items are longer lasting items.

£115.10/£200.
    £84.90 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Just been totalling up our spends so far this month, £138.63/£400 which includes a family meal out. I've got an Ice!and delivery coming tomorrow ( my first one) and I'm planning on doing a tesc* shop tomorrow for fresh stuff. I'm going to sit and plan tonight, so I only get a top up early next week and then the main Christmas shop on thurs 20th or fri 21st.
    Feeling optimistic this month!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills