Specsavers and their expensive extra options - advice please?

Comments

• kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Specsaver's staff do not get commission.

Not true individual stores decide these commision payments staff are often on a bonus for coatings / high index and the optometritst are monitred on 'conversion' they performance dependent on how many customers are 'converted' to specs.

All varfiocals are prism thined and surfaced anyway so unless you have a massive prescipriton I would query whether you need high index or not. Much more useful for -prescriptions than + prsecriptions.

The quality of the lens is important with generally the more you pay the better the quality of the lens. Some people are much more sensitive to it than others.

For the first time varifocal the danger of going for 2 cheap a lens is that you don't get on with it and then it puts you off varficoals for life which are generally the best option if you can get on with them.

You are taking pot luck ordering varfiocals online unless you are getting them to replicate something already made.
  • Please also remember that all opticians on the high street have to pay rent, high business rates, electricity, staff wages, corporate tax etc which are higher than for online stores. These high street stores have to ensure that their costs are covered or they could close.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Do Asda really include the thinner lenses for no extra cost?

I'm very high prescription and always pay to have them as thin as I possible can. I'm about a -13.

Pollyanna, I'm the same -13 and did not think Asda do the thin lens as Im sure I e mailed them once to check, and they said No, but maybe they have changed now, think I will pop in when Im near to Asda (we don't have one in my town)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pollyanna, I'm the same -13 and did not think Asda do the thin lens as Im sure I e mailed them once to check, and they said No, but maybe they have changed now, think I will pop in when Im near to Asda (we don't have one in my town)

This may help - it shows what they include:

https://opticians.asda.com/info/our-complete-price-on-glasses

Thinner lenses (if required), anti-reflective coating, advanced varifocal lenses - all included in the price (even for the £45 value frames).

It's only when you look at the Asda prices that you realise just how expensive Specsavers has become over the years. Specsavers was cheap once!
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Doc_N wrote: »
    This may help - it shows what they include:

https://opticians.asda.com/info/our-complete-price-on-glasses

Thinner lenses (if required), anti-reflective coating, advanced varifocal lenses - all included in the price (even for the £45 value frames).

It's only when you look at the Asda prices that you realise just how expensive Specsavers has become over the years. Specsavers was cheap once!

Thanks for that. I went to that link and they don't say anything about high prescription or complex lens, except for the disclaimer below. I think they will probably be okay for normal prescriptions, but not higher ones.

Subject to availability. Certain lens brands are excluded. Certain lens options are subject to prescription. The 2 for offer is based on both pairs of glasses being purchased together for the same customer. For full details on all our offers, please ask an Optical Colleague in-store.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My son went to Asda for the first time, this weekend and was amazed at how cheap they were, but did miss Specsavers' larger range. Only Specsavers do the frame he has currently and likes,but he chose the cheaper option.
  • LandM1
    LandM1 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I get my eyes tested at Specsavers but never buy my glasses there anymore. They're expensive and to my mind their frames are really boring. Recently I've bought frames in Italy at very competitive prices and got them glazed locally by the optician that gives the lowest quote. I always get basic varifocals and have never felt the need to get anything fancier. I've never thought about thinner lenses mine seem fine!
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Thanks for that. I went to that link and they don't say anything about high prescription or complex lens, except for the disclaimer below. I think they will probably be okay for normal prescriptions, but not higher ones.

Subject to availability. Certain lens brands are excluded. Certain lens options are subject to prescription. The 2 for offer is based on both pairs of glasses being purchased together for the same customer. For full details on all our offers, please ask an Optical Colleague in-store.

Pollyanna24 - I noticed the disclaimer too, it's annoying we have to pay full price for having complex lens. I remember my local opticians doing an offer for pair of glasses plus free sunglasses with prescription lens, when I asked about it for my prescription they said Sorry not in offer!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I also have varifocals with thin lenses and found that Specsavers are getting too expensive. I read an article a few years ago that said that the extras like varifocals and thin lenses don’t cost much more to produce so it’s another rip off.

I bought some prescription sunglasses from Asda where everything was included, varifocals, thin lenses and designer frames. My OH paid extra for Polaroid lenses for me. They are really good and I can’t believe how clear my vision is with them. When I need new glasses it will be off to Asda.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I also have varifocals with thin lenses and found that Specsavers are getting too expensive. I read an article a few years ago that said that the extras like varifocals and thin lenses don’t cost much more to produce so it’s another rip off.

I bought some prescription sunglasses from Asda where everything was included, varifocals, thin lenses and designer frames. My OH paid extra for Polaroid lenses for me. They are really good and I can’t believe how clear my vision is with them. When I need new glasses it will be off to Asda.

Very much the case. Most extras cost Specsavers a couple of pounds, if that, and most frames around a fiver.

Not difficult to work out from that the potential profits, even allowing for overheads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure