Can they revoke DRO from extra money?

I’m only getting Carers Allowance and Universal Credit and sometimes get a bit of extra money from family to help me but there’s never anything left over each month. I just wanted to ask, it’s my birthday soon and will be getting a bit of money. Nothing life changing just a few hundred but would they stop my DRO if it goes in my bank account? It’s only a one of as it’s birthday money but don’t really know how it works. I’ve just read that if you have more than £50 left over each month they can revoke the DRO.

Comments

• Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Could you ask for cash? You can still spend it right :)

I'm in a similar situation myself
  • Hi Annie,

Sorry i didn’t mention it is cash i’ll be getting but i wanted to put it in my account to spend it. I shop online etc
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Debt camel has a relevant article, it seems you can have assets upto 1000£ but much over could mean the OR considering revoking the DRO.

https://debtcamel.co.uk/dro-income-up/
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

I would not worry about it, you are not checked up on, and you are allowed £1000 in assets (cash), the £50 surplus only applies to regular income.

Revocation happens at £1850.

Spend your money, enjoy your birthday, forget about it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I’m only getting Carers Allowance and Universal Credit and sometimes get a bit of extra money from family to help me but there’s never anything left over each month. I just wanted to ask, it’s my birthday soon and will be getting a bit of money. Nothing life changing just a few hundred but would they stop my DRO if it goes in my bank account? It’s only a one of as it’s birthday money but don’t really know how it works. I’ve just read that if you have more than £50 left over each month they can revoke the DRO.

This wouldn't be regarded as surplus income, it would be regarded as a lump sum:
    This applies where a debtor receives a lump sum during the moratorium period after a DRO has been made.

Where a lump sum is received and the value of the debtor’s total property (including the lump sum) does not exceed £1,000 no action will be taken.

Where a lump sum is received and the value of the debtor’s total property (including the lump sum) is between £1,000 and £1,990 the Official Receiver will consider the circumstances of the case and may not revoke the DRO.

Where a lump sum is received and the value of the debtor’s total property (including the lump sum) exceeds £1,990 the Official Receiver will consider the circumstances of the case but it is likely the DRO will be revoked.

Where a DRO is revoked and the debtor remains insolvent the debtor can use the lump sum to enter a different insolvency remedy e.g. bankruptcy/IVA.
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

I would not worry about it, you are not checked up on, and you are allowed £1000 in assets (cash), the £50 surplus only applies to regular income.

Revocation happens at £1850.

Spend your money, enjoy your birthday, forget about it.

Thank you, i will try :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport