Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You were up very early (or late) by the way Carboot. Couldn't you sleep?
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I think the new memories and ideas is a good thing. Creating your own plans and keeping busy will hopefully help too.

This Christmas will be hard, but hopefully having your family around you will help. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 9 October 2018 at 11:44AM
    Options
    You were up very early (or late) by the way Carboot. Couldn't you sleep?

You're very observant:rotfl:

I didn't go to bed at all last night. I heard during the evening that my friend's husband was failing fast and her brother (who has come to stay with her for a while )was there with her and phoned me to tell me. He didn't want to leave her on her own, the end could come any time or not for a couple of days so they had no idea how long they'd be wearing the same clothes, undies etc. that they've had on since Sunday. He wondered if I could call at her house and collect some fresh clothes. toiletries etc for the two of them. She leaves a key hidden in her garden so I had no problems getting in.

Seemed strange sorting through an elderly gent's undies, I don't even know her brother:eek:. He had only brought a big suitcase full of clothes with him anyway so it wasn't too much of a problem deciding what to take for him to change into.

I stayed at the hospital a while so the brother could go and get a snack and drink and then I felt very restless and went for a long drive instead of coming straight home. It's 17 miles to the hospital anyway but I took a long detour into the countryside and had the world to myself at that time of night. Well, except for lots of rabbits that is. The lanes were full of them, startled by the headlights and scuttling back into the hedgerows. I needed to keep my wits about me:rotfl:.

When I eventually got home it was already 2.30 a.m. so it didn't seem worth waking OH up by going upstairs (which creak badly and he's a very light sleeper:(). I very quietly made myself a pot of tea and some toast, put the halogen heater on which I think is reasonably inexpensive for electric heating, and came on here for a while. Then I tried to settle down in the armchair to read some of my book. Couldn't really concentrate on it though, I had to read several of the pages more than once:o.

No news from the hospital yet but they know I'm on standby should they need me for anything.

Your idea of starting new traditions is a really good one:T. I hope you can find somewhere really special to walk, it will give you a happy memory of this Christmas/New Year period.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think making new traditions will help you, as doing the same things you've always done but without your Mum will make it all harder.

We always go to the seaside on New Years Day. It's always lovely and fresh and the sea air makes you feel good. We don't go out on NYE though.

Sorry about your friend's husband carboot x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You must feel exhausted Carboot. What a stressful time for everyone. It's lucky they have a good friend like you.

I like the idea of going to the seaside on new year's day Jwil. That could be a nice new tradition. You must have to wrap up warm!
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Do any of my lovely diary readers have any Christmas or New Year traditions that they always do? I'm looking for new ideas so that we can do things that won't remind me my mum isn't here.
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've had lots of Christmasses away from home and hubby has worked lots of shifts on Christmas day and over the holidays so we are a bit short on traditions tbh. Be nice to hear what others do though. Hope you can start some new nice traditions too.
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2018 at 4:26PM
    Options
    National Trust places don't open on Christmas day, Boxing day, or New Year's day unfortunately:(. But we could go to one or more in the lead up to Christmas as some of the local ones will decorate their gardens with lights etc, and that is something we never did with my mum for some reason.

On Christmas day DH has suggested our walk could be timed for after breakfast/present opening, and then coming home to a cook a late lunch. This would minimise time I would spend sitting around feeling sad about my mum. I suggested maybe playing cards or a game or something after lunch, as it's hard to imagine a tv programme or film that could occupy my mind at the moment. We could perhaps do the same thing on Boxing day, but go for a walk in a different place, obviously!

On New Year's day I quite like Jwil's tradition of a visit to the beach. I could see if my aunt and uncle were around and maybe they would fancy going with us to swell the numbers, unless they're away for Christmas and New year visiting their children.

On New Year's eve we always had my mum and stepdad around our house for a meal and to see in the New Year, or we would do the same thing at their house. So New Year's eve will be very tricky, especially as my stepdad will be away this year. DD1 suggested inviting friends around for a meal on New Year's eve, which could work. It would depend if anyone was available.

DH thinks it's too soon to think about Christmas, but I think if I have coping strategies in place then I won't dread it so much.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry, HH, can't help with any traditions or things to do at Christmas. There's only OH and I and we don't 'do' Christmas as such any more. I cook a nice turkey dinner though because we both love it and it's the only time of year we have it. I buy a free-range locally reared one and it lasts us all week. I always make mince pies too but we have them lots of other times during the year as we love them. Other than sending a few cards to friends and family who would be upset not to receive them we do absolutely nothing else to mark Christmas or New Year. We may go for a walk but we do that anyway lots of normal days. It's different if you're surrounded by family and have children living with you, even though they're grown up.

I've spent most of the day worrying about my friend's brother. I'm sure he's showing signs of dementia, he's so confused. I'm not sure he should be driving. He completely forgot the arrangements for going straight to the hospital when he drove down the other night and went to my friend's house instead to pick her up and take her there:eek:. It threw him into a panic when the house was in darkness and he got no response to ringing the bell and hammering on the door. It was so late and there was so much noise that the next-door-neighbour went over to see what was happening. It was a miracle he happened to be at home as his house is for sale and temporarily up for rental so he'd called back for an overnight visit to check on things between tenants. He hadn't a clue where my friend had gone as he wasn't back when she was trying to arrange a lift to the hospital and phoned me so he didn't even know my friend's husband had been admitted. The brother (John) unloaded his stuff from the car and said he'd go in the house to wait until she came back:eek:. Where on earth he thought she could possibly be at that time of night I've no idea. He had no key though. The neighbour knew about the hidden key in the garden and they both went in to look round in case my friend had had a fall or something and was lying injured or worse. Sounds a nightmare scenario to me. Then, suddenly, John remembered what he'd been supposed to do, jumped in the car and set off at a scary speed without even switching the house lights off or locking the door:eek:. The neighbour, luckily was still there and did it, remembering to put the key back in its hiding place. Good job he did as I'd have never found it if John had put it somewhere. The neighbour told my friend what had happened when he popped into the hospital on his way back home and she was really concerned and told me how worried she's been about her brother for a while now. That poor lady has so much on her plate at the moment. I wish I could do more to help her.

Then, just as suddenly as John seems to lose all sense of reality he becomes completely lucid again. When he phoned me to ask me to take the clothes and stuff in he was perfectly coherent. I'm going to have to keep an eye on things as if the worst happens and my friend's husband passes away her brother will be around a lot 'helping' her. I don't want to be seen as interfering, I'm not family after all, but I can't just forget about it and say 'it's none of my business' can I ? My friend's son and family live abroad. He knows how ill his father is, I'd have expected him to have made arrangements to come home by now. I sound such a busybody, don't I? Not a nice characteristic to have:o
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You're not a busybody at all Carboot, you're just worried about your friend. As you're not a relative there is a limit to what you can do, but if you keep an eye on the situation and be there there to help your friend, then I'm sure she'll be grateful. I'm not sure you can do much apart from that.

Bear in mind you've had no sleep Carboot, so your worries will be magnified by the fact that you're very tired.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure