Purchased engagement ring. Certification lost by retailer

Hi just looking for some advice.

I found the perfect engagement ring for my OH in a store but they didn't do it in her size, so I looked online. Found it online with the jewel hut (t h Baker), called up and paid for it (899 on debit card) last week and it arrived last Friday.

The product description clearly stated information such as diamond clarity, cut, grading, etc.. Which would have been from a report from a gemological institute, which these rings all come with, and in the product advertisement it stated the certification would come with it.

I purchased the ring and was happy. When it arrived, it was just the ring. No certification. I've called them to chase this, and they emailed me saying they're sorry but they don't have the certificate. They've left it at that. I've tried emailing them for another resolution, as I don't want to call them because I'd lose my rag with this situation. They've not come back to me again so far.

I'm at a loss. I wanted to propose to my OH on holiday in a few days, so I want to get insurance on the ring. Insurers are reluctant if you have no certification or valuation reports. I also don't know if the ring is genuine due to it coming in a t h Baker box, not the original, and having no paperwork at all.

I've tried contacting a few diamond certification places and they will all take over a week for reports or certificates to be produced, so it will be back a few days into our holiday, and I'll obviously have to pay out of my own pocket for this.

Any advice?

Comments

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Contact the retailer again, saying that they have not delivered your complete purchase and without the certification you would be considering the goods as "not fit for purpose" as defined in the Consumer Rights Act and demand a replacement/new certificate or a full refund.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Contact the retailer again, saying that they have not delivered your complete purchase and without the certification you would be considering the goods as "not fit for purpose" as defined in the Consumer Rights Act and demand a replacement/new certificate or a full refund.

Provided that the ring can be worn then it's not a case of it not being fit for purpose.
    As the advert stated that certification would be provided but wasn't then under the Consumer rights act it's a case of the purchase not being as described.
  • You can take it into a jeweller to be graded - I took my engagement ring into a random London jeweller and they did it in about five minutes for free. It doesn't help with the lack of certificate, but it would tell you if it's genuine and as described.
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mingshing wrote: »

The product description clearly stated information such as diamond clarity, cut, grading, etc.. Which would have been from a report from a gemological institute, which these rings all come with, and in the product advertisement it stated the certification would come with it.

Stating those characteristics doesn't necessarily mean the diamond was certified. Have you checked the price you paid against non-certified and certified diamonds?

Once you know what it is you have most likely paid for either ask them again for the certificate that it was advertised with or accept they made a mistake on the advert and it was not in fact certified. If you're not happy you have 14 days to return the ring for a full refund.

Your comment that insurers are reluctant to cover an uncertified diamond is rubbish. I've never been asked whether my diamonds are or are not certified and never been asked for the certificates for the ones that are.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mingshing wrote: »
    Hi just looking for some advice.

I found the perfect engagement ring for my OH in a store but they didn't do it in her size, so I looked online. Found it online with the jewel hut (t h Baker), called up and paid for it (899 on debit card) last week and it arrived last Friday.

I purchased the ring and was happy. When it arrived, it was just the ring. No certification. I've called them to chase this, and they emailed me saying they're sorry but they don't have the certificate. They've left it at that. I've tried emailing them for another resolution, as I don't want to call them because I'd lose my rag with this situation. They've not come back to me again so far.

I'm at a loss. I wanted to propose to my OH on holiday in a few days, so I want to get insurance on the ring. Insurers are reluctant if you have no certification or valuation reports. I also don't know if the ring is genuine due to it coming in a t h Baker box, not the original, and having no paperwork at all.

I've tried contacting a few diamond certification places and they will all take over a week for reports or certificates to be produced, so it will be back a few days into our holiday, and I'll obviously have to pay out of my own pocket for this.

Any advice?

Just call your home contents insurer. At that value I would expect it to be automatically covered - even if it needs to be specified the receipt would be sufficient. Just ensure that it is insured outside the home. I wouldn't be bothered about the lack of certification - I would just get it tested to ensure it is a diamond.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Provided that the ring can be worn then it's not a case of it not being fit for purpose.
    As the advert stated that certification would be provided but wasn't then under the Consumer rights act it's a case of the purchase not being as described.

Yeah, maybe that's a better way of describing it.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • surely it could be insured to the value of purchase, with the receipt/order confirmation/bank statement as proof of purchase - unless you are saying it is worth substantially more than you paid for it (based on your assessment of the cut, colour clarity etc). In which case, getting it for a bargain price and no authentication certificate would set alarm bells ringing
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • I would 100% getting back onto the jewellers. It was sold as certified and so the certificate should be provided. Did they say who has certified it? There is a big difference between GIA certified diamonds and other labs so its worth checking. Can the jeweller look into getting a duplicate report?. I know with GIA diamonds they often have a number inscribed (not visible to the naked eye) and so a PDF version of the report can be downloaded as a replacement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure