Santas challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    So good to be back, feels like a comfy pair o& slippers...

We’re in mad house mode, Sept last yr we had a flood in the kitchen, this time from the loo, (luckily clean water side), had plumber out, just our couple holes in the ceiling... drain out, ur be fine...
    Did that..30 mins later, we heard a clang... the ceiling had collapsed..

Insurance job, as it was under 1.5k they sent me a cheque to sort myself.as we were planning on doing kitchen; next yr, why have it redecorated, found a lovely plasterer.

So we said can u do hall stairs and landing and front room, with Miss Hoodie finished school, said we would gave mth in a Devon, the house was free.

He did a gd job... danaged the stair lift, at 1 point it was being condemned... we were without it fir a week,eventually quick repair, to get us by, then another 2 days of repairs, luckily social services paid the bill...

Then when he sent the bill it went from £900 to £1200 as job was more complicated.... took him on..I won, I only paid £850

Painter.. he had to come back twice, left strips unpainted on the fireplace wall, his excuse, if you put ur fire surround up no one will see it... knocked £50 off for inconvenience...

Miss Hoodies bedroom is being plastered at the wend.. fingers crossed this plasterer is ok....

Presents side, no more bdays, Miss Hoodies was Sept - driving lessons..

Christmas.doing better than what I thought we’ve sorted out presents 2ngt,

Managed to sort everyone out, worked out I’ve paid £128 retail price £450

Just mums and Miss Hoodies to do.

Mum.. ordered a photo blanket, hoping get that in nex5 week or so, said buy her a new bed in Jan sales, get he4 an amazon echo fir her bedroom,

( have to say so funny listening to her in the kitchen, talking to Alexa), few Buts

Miss Hoodie, off mum she’s having apple ear pods
    Me.. thinking of getting her llama walking experience so that she can take a friend with her.

Digressing again, w3 have my 50th in 2021, and 2020 is her 18th, we’re going to do a big holiday, nit sure where yet,

(We did have Cuba booked..but that was a Thomas Cook),

It’s more for I’m taking her for Christmas lunch on the Northern Belle train, I went 10 years ago, took my best friend as it was a 49th present, xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 November 2019 at 8:20PM
    Options
    mum2one sorry to hear about all the nightmares uve been having. I hope things can be sorted about Cuba, I'm sure Katiehound had Thomas Cook with one of her cruises. I know with friends they found out about a week before going on holiday. It went ahead but took 13 hours to get there with the alternative faff but in place but coming back they had a small chartered plane, said it was a lovely trip back. But hopefully money back?
    Stairlifts-what a nightmare. Mine was condemned after my abdominal surgery. I was offered temporary housing but said no because of the cats, we managed but without them it's a nightmare and they do panic when painters etc come in. When the decorator was in they were worried but it turns out they have to come out anyway as the stairlift keeps stopping at a certain point but it's under warranty. It's all headaches in life which u just don't need.
    Talking of which
    katiehound any news on the dishwasher?

Well I have my 2 final link boxes so have a head start on next year. Will just need to open to replace the chocolate but I think next year I will have to use one of the collectors in the opposite direction to where I am now which practically I should be able to do as I have the occasional meeting that way but it will probably mean an early drop off.

Not done anything on Christmas ( have a few bits out but tree won't go up until later on in December when DD is home) but Dcousin has just had a baby so have bought a few baby clothes in bigger sizes.
    Also pinched one of ur ideas Chanie-a luggage tag set for part of besties birthday next year.

Have given up buying Christmas foods for now, they keep getting eaten!!!!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2019 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It’s good to see that the thread is getting busy again.

Yesterday, I started wrapping presents. One of the presents was a jar of condiments, which was a jokey present for MIL. Although the jar was unopened, the seal must have broken, as it leaked all over my bed, through the duvet and onto the mattress protector. As it’s oily, it’s left a horrible stain. It’s so ridiculous, I can only laugh.

Today, I dropped a big bag of presents to the Salvation Army for its Christmas present appeal. Although I enjoy doing the link boxes, I wanted to do something for people in my local area, so I have also been collecting for that as well. Definitely want to continue next year as well.

*UPDATE*
    I bought some small metal plant pots from IKEA and decorated them with some Xmas stickers from Poundland. These will be used for the children’s homemade chocolate selection boxes.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Chanie I would definately have had to have a laugh with the condiments because I would of just cried. Have u managed to get any of the stain out at all?

All Christmas presents wrapped now. The only ones left to wrap are the 4 arriving at the end of the month.

Haven't donated to any Christmas present appeal as there isn't any out yet. Usually the big supermarkets will be collecting, I hope they do this year so I can donate a couple of toys.

I have been donating to the local animal sanctuary where we get our cats from. They have a collection point in Tesc@s. They were struggling earlier in the year and always like to donate a bit extra at Christmas. Have ordered a couple of big boxes of food from Amaz@n which I will take in bit by bit as they are too heavy in one go. Tesc@s don't mind u taking food in as it acts like a food drop off point as well.

I bought some really nice 3D cards in the sale which would be ideal to replace any special cards I was short of. Slight problem.......I can't find them :(
    Have written a couple of cards so far but don't send many now
  • chanie
    Options
    Yesterday, I made my Xmas pudding. I’m the only one who eats it, so I should probably just buy myself a small one, but I enjoy making it (and it means there is more pudding for me).
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Managed to get a parcel sent off to DCousin for the baby this morning but delayed with the babies Christmas presents due to damaged/incomplete items from Marks. Sent those back this morning and the reorder arrived today-all present and correct so a few bits to wrap. Might pop these straight in a gift bag.
    I've also dug out presents that need sending. In boxes ready but now cards slowly being done the boxes that don't require a letter can be sealed up. I can't believe a week on Friday some presents will be sent out and a week on Saturday some presents will be delivered. How quick this Christmas has come around.

Chanie I used to make a lot of Christmas puds and cakes when I was younger. Now the family is so disjointed I don't make anymore. Usually Duncle brings a small Christmas pud he has bought and usually takes it home after stuffing himself full of trifle and ice cream!! :)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hope you are not poised with bated breath over the **** dishwasher- needless the wretched man did not turn up last week.

I phoned him around 3pm as I needed to go up in the loft- he said he was hours behind and still in Skeggie. Not a word since. It is doing my head in. Have decided I need to talk to him tomorrow- not much point giving me 12 month guarantee- it hasn't worked since he 'mended' it! Yes, he ordered a new part from Hotpoint & it had a new thermostat (supposedly)
    It is so frustyrating and such a waste. I'm now thinking of buying a new one- Black Friday next week- so need to tell him to come, fix it, refund the money or maybe go to small claims court???The options are in his court

Have turned out 3 large bags of summer clothes. Drop in the ocean. Had just finished then saw yet another bag! Will have to wait for daylight.

Today took 3 bags to a friend, mainly books. Then went to the charity shop which donates to Macmillan- spent £7 on 21 paperbacks- holiday reading! so a big shopper full.

Last week finally got to the ukulele club after learning & practising on the ship. No meeting this week but after that they are doing seasonal music. They have been playing for 5 years so a great deal more experienced than me!

Saturday was a bucket-list day! Unexpectedly spoke to Rylan Clark- Neal on radio 2 for maybe 5 minutes after his karyoke for Children in need. I told him my dog- the real Katiehound had won the Doggyoke and 'sang 'on Radio Humberside & Radio Lincolnshire!! Fame- or not.

No doggy duvets. Plenty of covers but no innards. Dire straits.

and will I get tired of cruising? No, I don't think so. I love the longer cruises, get into a nice routine and meet fascinating people as well as sea days dancing maybe ukulele, art or craft. I have booked the same for next year as i fancy seeing more of Namibia & St Helena.

Need to start sorting the seasonal stash- and attacking all the paper heaps.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No reponse from dishwasher man to the message I left on his answerphone late this morning.
    Surprised? NO
    :mad:
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, only a quick post now, replies another day, my heating/hot water has been off hence I stayed with friend, it's been fixed today, she came back with me today to discuss what's been going wrong to the boiler engineer (on warranty) and whilst he was working on it we discussed Christmas food etc in detail (she's the one that stays with me 10 days).
  • chanie
    Options
    Angela great use of time to discuss Xmas plans whilst waiting for your repairs.

Katie can’t believe your repair man is still giving you the runaround.

Now that the shops are getting their Xmas foods in, I have been buying more items as I have seen them. It’s all rather random - mini stollen and goose fat from Lidl, pigs in blankets from Asda, a pudding from Waitrose, Yorkshire pudding mix from Tesco and something I can’t remember from Aldi. Today, I picked up some half price Xmas crackers from Waitrose. I had a £4 off a £20 spend voucher, so I really managed to maximise the savings.

Have just remembered I have to dig out my Xmas tablecloth runner. I bought it Greece over the summer and put it away in a cupboard, as the xmas stuff is difficult to get to. I totally forgot about it, until I had started writing this post abd May well have remembered next summer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure