Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen

Comments

• hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This makes me think that they are not actually hacking through phishing because they would not be able to access the email to reset the password to one they can use. It would have to be someone who can access the account to change the password without actually using the email address.
    An inside job? or Tesco have been hacked (as in properly hacked, someone accessing their systems) and they don't want to admit it (or they don't know yet, but they would have to be really really stupid)?

This should really go to the papers IMO because Tesco are not acting responsibly. Refusing to block the vouchers and to acknowledge there is a problem is really not on.
    It definitely wasn't phishing in my case, and none of my details have been changed. However, someone has used my clubcard (one I have never used) and the vouchers.
    It's definitely got to be an insider job.
  • hjd wrote: »
    It definitely wasn't phishing in my case, and none of my details have been changed. However, someone has used my clubcard (one I have never used) and the vouchers.

I thought it was only because from experience 99.99% of accounts being hacked is done through phising, because it's easy, cheap, simple and if you send a large number of emails out randomly you'll get enough people the email is relevant to and also falling for it. So normally there is not need to take further risks.

This case IMO is highly organised and not just the work of one opportunistic employee. I hope they have involved the police.
    (incidentally online fraud/crime is an area I'm interested in and watch closely because it's relevant to my line of work).
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I thought it was only because from experience 99.99% of accounts being hacked is done through phising, because it's easy, cheap, simple and if you send a large number of emails out randomly you'll get enough people the email is relevant to and also falling for it. So normally there is not need to take further risks.

This case IMO is highly organised and not just the work of one opportunistic employee. I hope they have involved the police.
    (incidentally online fraud/crime is an area I'm interested in and watch closely because it's relevant to my line of work).
    The line they appear to be taking at the moment is sticking their fingers in their ears and singing la la la.
    Any suggestions on how to progress it? I have reported to action on fraud.
  • hjd wrote: »
    The line they appear to be taking at the moment is sticking their fingers in their ears and singing la la la.
    Any suggestions on how to progress it? I have reported to action on fraud.

Facebook and Twitter can be very powerful as well in spreading news.
    IMO they will refund, it would be a real PR disaster if they didn't.
  • "Clubcard users should check accounts after MoneySavers report hundreds of pounds worth of vouchers being stolen..."
    Read the full story:

Tesco Clubcard users report stolen vouchers

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thank you to the MoneySavers who have provided us with information on this issue.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    edited 18 February 2013 at 1:28PM
    I keep adding the news to the Tesco facebook page and it keeps getting removed !

If you can folks add the link to there page http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2013/02/tesco-clubcard-users-report-stolen-vouchers

We might be able to help more people with problems
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    They won't ignore this now...
    well done MSE :T
    Shame on you Tesco, this is going to back fire spectacularly. Nothing spreads faster than news that someone tries to cover up :D
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    hjd wrote: »

Maybe I'm just being stupid here....:eek:

But if you have never used the card, how can there be any vouchers to use...

I thought that you had to spend to get any rewards.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • are the vouchers sent via the post uniquely coded? I have seen the kurb side recycling men open Clubcard mail and remove vouchers from them.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    are the vouchers sent via the post uniquely coded? I have seen the kurb side recycling men open Clubcard mail and remove vouchers from them.

Yes they are , but if you can get into a account you can reprint them, thats the problem, the system is floored, i have the vouchers in front of me but they have been used
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure