Close Vanquis card or keep for backup?

2»

Comments

• Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    affordability comes into play. if nothing spent or owing, then no, should have an issue, especially on such low limits. your limits will not (or shouldn't) increase if you don't use the card.

and, its useful for an emergency, if ever needed
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If your cards were maxed out and paying a crazy high interest rate it is actually responsible lending from the provider to not give you an increase as it'll let you spend more and pay more interest hence why you are now getting offers as you pay it down.

The person above with the £1 charge is nonsense, complete baloney - you cannot be given late payment markers if you do not owe anything, such a case would be destroyed by the regulator and compensation paid for harming the person's credit record. They are confusing a requirement to spend on the card every so often to keep it active
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 21 July 2018 at 7:32PM
    Hi, I was refused any mainstream lending as I can Vanquis with a £3000 limit. I closed it and as soon as it dropped off my credit file I applied for and got a Barclaycard Platinum card with a massive limit on it - and 6.9% APR

So for me the close was worth it.

As for £1 a month it must have been the other card. My Vanquis card was at £0 for about 4 months and I had nothing in charges. I was once £13 in credit for a while - nothing happened.

Vanquis are funny they literally wouldn't give me an increase unless I was in constant debt with them - I didn't want to be and so in the end I decided to close it anyway because it was too much of a mind bender. The fact people I knew where were fresh out of bankruptcy were being given higher limits and half the interest rate I was on didn't help - nor did Vanquis refusing on many occasions to cut my APR

Best thing I did was dump them.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    here is no harm in doing so, and then becomes a long standing creditor on your file

Well there is - some lenders won't touch people who have Vanquis or aqua cards - whilst they can't tell based on your report alone as they don't see the full details, it's obvious if someone starts with a low limit and then it goes up over time it was due to bad credit - otherwise the limit would be higher from the getgo.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    pcoventry wrote: »
    Well there is - some lenders won't touch people who have Vanquis or aqua cards - whilst they can't tell based on your report alone as they don't see the full details, it's obvious if someone starts with a low limit and then it goes up over time it was due to bad credit - otherwise the limit would be higher from the getgo.

tend to disagree - I had an IVA - 6 months into to, we applied for Vanquis to start rebuilding, as well as Aqua. by the end of the IVA, my combined limits where just under £6k.
    18 months after the IVA, i have MBNA, NAtionwide, Tesco and Virgin cards - Personal loan for £10k for car as well. Tesco and Virgin cards started at £4k+ i have since closed Vanquis and kept Aqua (as it is 0% for international usage)

the only interest i have ever paid on any card was an emergency cash advance a couple years back when abroad - jump cards so much as better deals out there. I haven't been rejected for anything applied for as yet :)
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Sweetcake wrote: »
    Haha I keep changing my mind, but I’ll be keeping it. But won’t the available credit I have affect how much I can borrow when it’s time for a mortgage?

Its a positive, not a negative. Keep the credit card.
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    tend to disagree - I had an IVA - 6 months into to, we applied for Vanquis to start rebuilding, as well as Aqua. by the end of the IVA, my combined limits where just under £6k.
    18 months after the IVA, i have MBNA, NAtionwide, Tesco and Virgin cards - Personal loan for £10k for car as well. Tesco and Virgin cards started at £4k+ i have since closed Vanquis and kept Aqua (as it is 0% for international usage)

the only interest i have ever paid on any card was an emergency cash advance a couple years back when abroad - jump cards so much as better deals out there. I haven't been rejected for anything applied for as yet :)

Would concur with this - I started with Vanquis and Aqua and few months later added mainstream cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure