PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Documents from solicitor for somebody else

Options
Hi all,

Just after some advice.

We have received some documents in the post from the solicitors for another person included with some documents for ourselves.

Would you return to the solicitor so they can cover it up or contact the person they are intended for?

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have in the past sent something on to the intended person,mine erroneous documents were a full mortgage offer from a high street bank.the fact that part of my mortgage offer was also missing added to the confusion and I believe a third person became involved

As part of the complaint process that followed I received a 3 figure payment and letter of full apology from said bank.

I guess it depends what you received and whether you want to remain on speaking terms with your solicitor.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would contact the solicitors.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would probably just return the documents; mistakes happen.

Postmen put letters through the wrong door all the time, but we don't start a national inquiry.
  • cherryx3x3
    cherryx3x3 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The documents are regarding a house purchase for the other person.

We don't care one way or the other about keeping in contact with the solicitor as it is not regarding anything "important"
  • cherryx3x3
    Options
    Grenage wrote: »
    I would probably just return the documents; mistakes happen.

Postmen put letters through the wrong door all the time, but we don't start a national inquiry.

My point is they were in the same envelope as some documents we were sent by the solicitor addressed to us.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    Options
    cherryx3x3 wrote: »
    My point is they were in the same envelope as some documents we were sent by the solicitor addressed to us.
    And Grenage's point is that it's the same level of basic human error. Someone picked up one too many documents from the printer when putting yours in the envelope. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    Options
    Someone at the solicitors made a mistake.

Solicitors (and law firm staff are human). Humans make mistakes. Not the end of the world.

I would just return it to the solicitor and would send them an email along the lines of 'Just letting you know that the envelope contained some documents which appeared to be for someone else, I have returned those to you.'
  • cherryx3x3
    Options
    And Grenage's point is that it's the same level of basic human error. Someone picked up one too many documents from the printer when putting yours in the envelope. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world.

Its not the first error this solicitor has made either.

I for one would not be happy that my personal documents were in the hands of someone else, but hey that just must be me.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Returning the docs to the solicitor draws their attention to the error. The person sending out the documents may well be a young "couldn't care less" type or someone who should have been put out to pasture, so if either of these scenarios is the case, the solicitor can take appropriate action
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    Options
    We're not asking you to be happy about it, just not to make a mountain out of a molehill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure