The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    gally - apparently, the recipe for cabbage 'Pierre Koffman' may be on page 169 of Marco Pierre White's cookbook - Great British Feast. I don't know if this is the recipe you want or not though....... Or if you know anyone with a copy of the book! ;)

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ha ha - you are too kind. We do eat beans on toast y'know! :D...

Yeah right Greying - you omitted to say that YOUR beans on toast has been gussied up with a sprinkle of this and a splash of that, and looks like a Michelin star chef made it!!!:D:D:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Good Evening :hello:

rtandon27 wrote: »
    Yeah right Greying - you omitted to say that YOUR beans on toast has been gussied up with a sprinkle of this and a splash of that, and looks like a Michelin star chef made it!!!:D:D:D

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Noooooo, no, I'm pretty keen on keeping simple, simple. I remember the TV cook, anth0ny W0rral-Th0mp$0n making complicated beans with butter and pepper and brown sauce (I think), and I just thought, that takes it to a meal that is no longer three items; beans, bread and butter/marg, it's a meal that has a recipe :rotfl: I dunna think I want to start complicating my life to the extent that I need to follow a recipe for beans on toast......... ;):rotfl:

Lidl wholemeal sliced, with lidl beans atop is good enough for the inhabitants of Greying Towers :D

Am I allowed to admit I am starting to flag with the heat?

I'm getting fed up with items that are usually stored at ambient heat, are now melting. Peanut butter and coconut oil are two things that spring to mind. BG got half a peanut farm on their butty at lunch-time, as it just oozed over the bread and seemed to triple the normal coverage :(

BG has been full of beans today. They eschewed taking a nap in the day, and promptly fell asleep, 2 seconds after finishing their tea. DH now sees why i find it so funny, and had a laugh too. #removingmyselftothenortyparentstep.

BG got some more 'straight off the plant, via the tap' strawberries off grandma today, and scoffed them with relish :D There were only 3, so mumma missed out again :( But the raspberries were in abundance today, so BG has now added sun-warmed, straight off the plant, via the tap, raspberries to their culinary palette today. Luckily, mumma and papa got to try some of them too, as a carton full was picked for us :D

We were also gifted some new potatoes and some HG mint. Ahhh, is there any better smell than fresh mint?

I got given a bell pepper and some fruit that was going spare after a community event. I could have had more, but never want to appear greedy. Thing is, I know that I would only ever take what I would use, but being a veggie fairly lends itself to hoovering up unwanted fruit and veg.......... :rotfl:

I managed to get a (slight) bargain in mrT this arvo. I was running short of time, and was going to get a bag of wild rocket - their's is dearer than mrL, but I couldn't afford the time to shop around - but I dropped lucky and found a bag YS'd to 36p :D I also found a bag of watercress, spinach and rocket salad, which was only 25% cheaper (75p), but looked OK, so we had that for tea tonight, and we'll have th rocket tomorrow - if it doesn't turn into mush overnight. I also picked up a punnet of their (rock hard) nectarines for 49p. We'll see how they turn out.

Tea this evening was a salad bowl. We had; brown basmati rice, marinated tomatoes (oil, balsamic, S&P, dried basil), carrot slaw with cranberries and walnut vinagrette, pugilese salad and some of the mixed green salad from the mrT bag. It was all topped off with a boiled egg, which I had put through my egg-slicer for extra ponce effect.

I have got a julienne blade on my ancient food processor and so used that to prep the carrots - rather than grating them. I used dried parsley, as it was all I had, and I added in some toasted sesame seeds too. Keeper of a recipe for me, as it makes a nice, colourful salad out of what is pretty much cupboard ingredients for me. The pugilese salad used some of my mrAl vac-pac beetroot stash, and the fresh mint from the parentals garden just elevates the taste. It's a nice salad anyway, but with fresh mint, is awesome.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

HG fruit and veg :D

BG making us laugh :D

being able to benefit from halting food waste :D

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Scott_Chegg
    Scott_Chegg Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    just came across your diary and have subscribed. Love the links to recipes. Thanks.:T

I just like basic savoury products so need to expand my tastes.

Thanks

Scott Chegg ;)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Good Morning :hello:

Scott Chegg - inventive username btw - good luck with your endeavours to broaden your circle of eats :D

Right, Thursday, here we are.

I've got an appointment to attend today - unfortunately over tea-time, so I'm going to have to be thoughtful over what we can have that can be easy for DH to plate up, whilst looking after BG :D I'll not be gone long, but just long enough iyswim.

I'll also give some thought to Saturday's tea, as it'll need to be a 'heat then eat' job, given all the excitement (or not) that will precede it ;):D

Oh, and jusso Friday doesn't feel left out, we'll plan on having pizza and maybe I'll keep the HG new tatties to go with - I was going to use them tonight, but I won't have time to truly savour them, so mmmmm, yes, a better idea to use them tomorrow, instead.

Today will mostly be about keeping out of the fierce heat. We need to pop to the bank, so that BG can pay in some money that someone sooooooo kindly gave to them on Tuesday. I get blown away by the kindnesses that are heaped on BG. Especially when the kindness is 'just because' not for any special reason - a birthday, or Christmas or something. We are truly blessed, and I hope that I always record how grateful I am for such blessings.

Right, best go in search of some breakfast. There are still a few raspberries left for BG they will be pleased :D

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Lawks, am such a hipster! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: (if you knew me in real life, you'd know why I'm laughing about that one) Having just breakfasted on avocado toast and a rice milk & berry smoothie................. ;)

Course, I've done it MSE stylee, and the avocado was a wonky one - had to throw the first one on the compost, completely brown inside, despite being still firm :( - the bread was wholemeal sliced from mrL, the chipotle flakes were from one of the £1 jars from mrS. The rice milk was 40p for 1L carton from h3r0n f00ds - I bought it, and a cashew milk one to try, as I wasn't sure if I like plant-based milks. I passed up an opportunity to get 3 cartons of Quinoa milk (??? who knew??) for £1 as the fridge is full....... the raspberries were HG and the blueberries frozen.

The rice milk was perfectly palatable as a smoothie, I'd certainly buy it again. it's nice to be able to try new things at an affordable price :D

Right, I'm away to research beard wax.......... :rotfl:;)

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I like rice milk for porridge. Lighter than cows milk but more interesting than water...
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Well, BG and i went for a wander :D We went to the bank to pay in BG's gifted money. We waited our turn and then went to the till. It was unfortunate that the person who had just been served only moved partially to the side - although the counter clerk was waiting to serve me. The previous customer then started talking to me about BG, saying the most inappropriate things. They thought they were being funny and making jokes. They were anything but, on both counts. They seemed unable to pick up that I was not responding to the cr*p that they were spouting and carried on. They also seemed oblivious to the complete lack of etiquette of moithering someone when they are engaged in financial transactions - albeit on behalf of a small person.

Thankfully, they moved away and left, before I had finished, so we didn't get lumbered with them in the lobby.

It wasn't until about 20 minutes later that the penny dropped. This person was the same, is the same, person who has said strange things to me in Greying Town before - I know that I have mentioned how disconcerting I found it, on here, at least once, if not twice. But whereas previously comments have been directed to me, today sunk to a new low, and they made inappropriate comments directly to and about BG.

This person has clearly no grasp of social interactions, or they have a medical condition that has impaired their ability to read situations/lack empathy and be unaware of body-language clues. I'm now fully prepared to believe that it is more than likely to be the latter, as there has been progression in the insulting/inappropriate nature of the comments.

And whilst this analysis of the event makes me less angry and annoyed at what was said. It still infuriates me that this happens. I've mentioned before that I was lucky enough to not suffer PND, following BG's birth. But I have always been so concious that sometimes, people have said things - for whatever reason - which if i had been feeling below-par, could have had a devastating impact on my confidence as a mother.

And I'm afraid I'm going to have to be much more switched on, when out and about. Should I be approached by a certain type of person, I will have to be on my guard as to what they might say - just in case it turns out to be this particular individual. The problem has been that I've seen them in different places/clothing etc and haven't been expecting the drivel that they come out with. I mean, who does? Who goes round expecting complete strangers to say something rude or negative about you or your family?

And I know that the kindness and kind words that BG and I are regularly in receipt of, is the correct antidote to this sort of cr*p. And another reason why it's important to be grateful for kindess.

We picked up a couple of things from the shops and had some help and guidance from the haberdashery shop :D

I've still not decided what to do for tea. It's too darn hot :D

BG is suffering from a dribbly nose again. I thought we'd beaten it, but it's come back :( And they are definitely a little below par. Still, they are eating quite well, and haven't got a temperature, so hopefully we can get this snuffle to pass too.

Ta for listening to my moan - Appreciated. And I do realise that there are 2 sides to this story - but I can only protect myself and my family, BG increasingly understands what is said to them - they don't understand that some things can be explained, excused or ignored......

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,708 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Oh dear Greying, sorry you had suh a disconcerting experience :( how vexing :( and while realising that someone might have a medical condition can make things easier to understand, it doesn't always make them easier to deal with on a practical level.

Hope you're ok lass xx
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hope you are okay Greying. Hopefully you will recognize the person in the future in order to avoid them. I do think that people say things to parents without realizing the impact words can have though. I did suffer PND with DD but didn't with DS and there were a few things said to me with DS that if they had been said to me when I had DD I would have had a complete breakdown. Thankfully I was stronger with DS and the worst effect the words had on me was a little private cry later.

Don't let them get to you. You are a great mother. BG is thriving in your care. Although they are at that age where they will catch every little thing going. Same goes when they start school and are introduced to a new set of communal germs!

Chin up my dear
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts