Executor account query

Does anyone know if when you open an executor account with a bank, do all the executors of the will have to sign up to the account / give their details to the bank or can one executor act alone and set it up without the others? For instance, if there were 3 executors, would they all have to go into the bank at the same time to sort it out? Or could just one of the executors go in and sort it out without the others?
Also, is it possible to set up an executor account before you do probate or only after it is done?
Hope someone can help.

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Does anyone know if when you open an executor account with a bank, do all the executors of the will have to sign up to the account / give their details to the bank or can one executor act alone and set it up without the others? For instance, if there were 3 executors, would they all have to go into the bank at the same time to sort it out? Or could just one of the executors go in and sort it out without the others?
    Also, is it possible to set up an executor account before you do probate or only after it is done?
    Hope someone can help.
    The bank will want all three to complete the formalities. It can be done before probate thoughthe bank willl want to see the will and I!!!8217;d from each.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hope someone can help.

I can't speak for all banks, but certainly Santander and HSBC are happy to accept accounts where not all the executors are signatories. We didn't need to go into the bank at the same time - just went to our respective local branches and did it that way, after one executor had opened the account and passed on the relevant account/reference numbers. The account was opened before probate was granted.

Check with the bank you are planning to use.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Can be done before probate, but some banks seem most reluctant to open executor's accounts - Lloyds being one of them.

Think I also read on a different thread that someone ended up with a business account (with charges for running it), not what they'd intended or thought they were getting.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Almost 3 years ago Barclays also refused to open one & we were talking £250k, Halifax & Nationwide also said unnecessary. Obviously they could have changed since then.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was able to open the last one I needed before probate was granted, but I couldn't do anything with the account until I'd taken the grant in to show the bank.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    You can just open a standard current account just for the estate, and then close it when evreything is finalised.
    There is no legal requirement to have what banks call a Probate account.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Margot123 wrote: »
    You can just open a standard current account just for the estate, and then close it when evreything is finalised.
    However the banks expect to be told it is for probate as they apply different rules to such accounts for example no over draft allowed.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    However the banks expect to be told it is for probate as they apply different rules to such accounts for example no over draft allowed.

You do seem to make a lot of sweeping statements! Our executor account has overdraft facilities.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Margot123 wrote: »

This is exactly what I have done. I opened an everyday current account with Santander, with whom I and my late sister both banked.

I funded the account initially with £1k for immediate needs and withdrew £1k as soon as funds were available. Apart from that, everything estate related goes into or comes out of that account. So far, this has worked very well.

My co-executor is happy for me to deal with the estate and is not a signatory to the account. I update him regularly and he can see scanned bank statements whenever he wants.

Once Probate is granted there will be more substantial funds arriving and when I have distributed them I will close the account.

I wasn't aware of that. However, when I discussed opening this account with the Santander Bereavement team, no such 'expectation' was mentioned. There is absolutely no possibility than an overdraft situation will arise.
  • Yorkshireman99
    badger09 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I have done. I opened an everyday current account with Santander, with whom I and my late sister both banked.

I funded the account initially with £1k for immediate needs and withdrew £1k as soon as funds were available. Apart from that, everything estate related goes into or comes out of that account. So far, this has worked very well.

My co-executor is happy for me to deal with the estate and is not a signatory to the account. I update him regularly and he can see scanned bank statements whenever he wants.

Once Probate is granted there will be more substantial funds arriving and when I have distributed them I will close the account.

I wasn't aware of that. However, when I discussed opening this account with the Santander Bereavement team, no such 'expectation' was mentioned. There is absolutely no possibility than an overdraft situation will arise.
    It may be purely a technical and legal issue but an executor's account is a "trustee account" and different rules apply. . If Santander are happy then no problem. Some other banks are not and the problem is made worse by he front line staff being poorly trained.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure