Spikes in production

hollie.weimeraner
hollie.weimeraner Posts: 2,143
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 28 June 2018 at 4:30PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Got home tonight and checked my production which is fine but Sunnyportal is showing regular spikes in production during the day (midday some over 4kwh).

I'd post a screenshot if I knew how to:D

Any idea or anyone else have this issue

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,353
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Got home tonight and checked my production which is fine but Sunnyportal is showing regular spikes in production during the day (midday some over 4kwh).

I'd post a screenshot if I knew how to:D

Any idea or anyone else have this issue
    Hi

We occasionally (few times a year) get a spike in power recorded on our SMA inverter ... it all seems to be when the record interval is close to the beginning/end of a timeslice and either the results of none or two average power readings are calculated & written as one record, it doesn't effect the total metered energy from which the timeslice power is calculated so it's not worth worrying about unless it causes issues with tolerance checking within third party data interfaces ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Turns out I may have a faulty inverter. SMA weren't too helpful on the phone insisting I buy a PUK code to access the inverter information that will provide the information. Contacted my installer who came out last night and confirmed it looks like some module in the inverter is failing intermittently and then coming back but he can't get access to the inverter until he has a PUK code to change the installer password which was never changed and should be the same as when it was supplied.
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 871
    Forumite
    Hi
    Are you trying to access through sunny explorer to get readings, or trying to get into inverter itself. If so to get into the inverter you will need a grid guard code that your repairer will need to get into the full control of the inverter.
    regards
    gefnew
  • hollie.weimeraner
    hollie.weimeraner Posts: 2,143
    Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 10:18AM
    gefnew wrote: »
    Hi
    Are you trying to access through sunny explorer to get readings, or trying to get into inverter itself. If so to get into the inverter you will need a grid guard code that your repairer will need to get into the full control of the inverter.
    regards
    gefnew

It's now up to the installer as he just wants to access any fault codes it may have detected.

He did say that SMA try to force the grid guard codes on them but that enables them to change settings. We had quite a long conversation about SMA trying to get installers to use German settings at times on the UK grid system as well.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,521
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's now up to the installer as he just wants to access any fault codes it may have detected.

He did say that SMA try to force the grid guard codes on them but that enables them to change settings. We had quite a long conversation about SMA trying to get installers to use German settings at times on the UK grid system as well.

Do you have Sunny Explorer? I can access event/errors through it.:D
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • legoman62 wrote: »
    Do you have Sunny Explorer? I can access event/errors through it.:D

I do and the installer has as well. The issue is that the password (1111) doesn't work. SMA tell me someone has changed it but my installer insists they don't change them either. I certainly haven't changed it.

I can log into the user interface but not the installer inetrface
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,521
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I do and the installer has as well. The issue is that the password (1111) doesn't work. SMA tell me someone has changed it but my installer insists they don't change them either. I certainly haven't changed it.

I can log into the user interface but not the installer inetrface
    I can access errors in user mode as well as installer!:D
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • zeupater
    Forumite
    Turns out I may have a faulty inverter. SMA weren't too helpful on the phone insisting I buy a PUK code to access the inverter information that will provide the information. Contacted my installer who came out last night and confirmed it looks like some module in the inverter is failing intermittently and then coming back but he can't get access to the inverter until he has a PUK code to change the installer password which was never changed and should be the same as when it was supplied.
    Hi

How many spikes are you seeing and do the time-slices that you see spikes in cause anomalies in the running total? ... it's easy to check at the moment with smooth generation! ...

On thing to try would be to wait for darkness (no generation) and reset (correct) the clock via Explorer to see if it is a time-slice recording issue ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

How many spikes are you seeing and do the time-slices that you see spikes in cause anomalies in the running total? ... it's easy to check at the moment with smooth generation! ...

On thing to try would be to wait for darkness (no generation) and reset (correct) the clock via Explorer to see if it is a time-slice recording issue ...

HTH
    Z

https://imgur.com/WkBx1q1

Image sorted :)
  • zeupater
    Forumite
    Hi

Looks like the time resolution on sunny portal is in pretty large slices (much larger than 5minutes) but considering that the spikes seem to fit the troughs it does look like a data calculation or logging timing error rather than an inverter operating problem, so it's just a case of tracking down the cause ...

- Do you see the same spikes on the inverter display screen or in SunnyExplorer in higher time-slice resolution?, if not then it could be a communications or interface issue between the inverter & the information portal ...

- How is the inverter communicating with SunnyPortal? ... Webbox? .... if so have you checked the time settings on this unit against the inverter itself to see if there's a mismatch? ... Have there been any changes - Webbox reset?, router position?, cables?

Just some initial ideas!

HTH
    Z
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport