New boiler

How much would you reasonably expect to pay for a boiler, including labour and parts?

Comments

• Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    about £2154.25 + vat
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Plumbers love fitting new boilers as the profit is potentially huge. You need to choose your boiler first and get a good price for that. When the plumber comes he will quote £2.5K to £3K. Then you say "but the boiler is £700. That's er £1800 labour. How many weeks to install?" Then he says about half a day. They then agree a figure of about £1300. That's what happened last time I asked for a boiler quote.
  • Paully28
    Paully28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    thanks, i was hoping for somewhere in the region of £2K so not too bad. I know it depends on what type of boiler I get, or how big my house is but gives me an idea.
  • Dan-Dan
    My reply was tongue in cheek, there are far too many variables

In any event, make sure your quote/s includes ;

A power flush
    System Filter
    Registration with Gas Safe/OFTEC/Building Control
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I just put my details into the British Gas website and they quoted £2900. As far as I can see British Gas started charging astronomical levels and then all the plumbers followed. I can't guarantee what you'll get it down to but if you price the parts you can then work out a labour charge. The plumber then gets a bit embarassed charging over £2K for a day's work. Good luck.
  • Paully28
    Thanks, how much would a plumber charge per hour/day. I know this could differ dependant upon region for example, but what is a reasonable hourly charge. Also, how long, on average does a boiler take to fit?
  • Dan-Dan
    edited 8 October 2019 at 4:59PM
    I would charge £250 a day for my Gas Safe engineer
  • Dan-Dan
    fred246 wrote: »
    Plumbers love fitting new boilers as the profit is potentially huge. You need to choose your boiler first and get a good price for that. When the plumber comes he will quote £2.5K to £3K. Then you say "but the boiler is £700. That's er £1800 labour. How many weeks to install?" Then he says about half a day. They then agree a figure of about £1300. That's what happened last time I asked for a boiler quote.

Yep, running a company with all the insurances required and membership of Gas Safe, OFTEC etc is gonna happen on the cheap eh :rotfl:

This is why you get one man band boys out there smashing in boilers that wont qualify for their warranty nor are signed off for building control
  • Paully28
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    I would charge £250 a day for my Gas Safe engineer
    and how many days, roughly, would it take to install the boiler?
  • Dan-Dan
    Paully28 wrote: »
    and how many days, roughly, would it take to install the boiler?

Variables again but lets assume a straight swop, NG Combi, 2 days really and that should include the items/services i listed above
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure