PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2018 at 9:46PM
    Fiscal Fast Day 135

It is very unusual for me to write up my post on the actual day, sometimes I can be playing catch up for several days.

When I started this fast, I never really had any comprehension of how life changing it would be. Today has really brought home to me just how much we WASTE money on stuff!

My DD1 and DD2 have been sharing a house but now DD1 has bought a home of her own and DD2 is moving back with us for the summer.

The amount of 'stuff' they have accumulated / been bought and no longer want is jaw dropping :eek: Thankfully very little is going to landfill and is heading for the local charity shops so it is not all bad but it really has been a shock to the system especially since some of the items have been unwanted Christmas presents.

Definitely NOT a case of make do and mend and I have found myself feeling quite sad about the whole experience.

I feel that today has been a MAJOR life changing day for me. I think as a family we need to rethink what we buy each other for Christmas and birthdays and whether we treat our family to days out rather than buy more 'stuff'

I'm also going to look at what we buy ourselves and cut back on the comfort spending as the only people that gain from our purchases are the shopkeepers.

On the very bright side, so far today we have spent £2 on washing machine liquid as they had run out of it! Let's hope that is all we spend today.

What are your thoughts and experiences on this subject?

UPDATE

No further money was spent apart from the £2 already mentioned. How good was that?
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As I am one of the ...errm older generation on here :) my friends and I instead of exchanging unwanted presents (after all there is very little any of us need ) we tend to have a lunch out instead, with a good long natter and catch-up.
    It makes a nice day of it, and usually at a decent county pub or hostelry. I always tell my children and grandchildren I don't need slipper act as I could probably shoe half the street with them. :) If its one of my housebound friends then it can be a few 'nice' groceries Jams,marmalade,decent coffee and perhaps a paperback or puzzle book. I enjoy jigsaws in the winter so I often get a jigsaw,but I always say I am more than happy with one from a CS as its where they go or get passed onto others once I have done them. When I checked a few years ago I had enough body lotion (something I rarely use as I have to use special stuff that I get on prescription) to float a boat.I ended up giving it to a womans shelter. We exchange hyacinths at Christmas or a small packet of bulbs or seeds sometimes But far too much 'stuff' in your life just takes up space and is an unnecessary waste.

I am eating up all my fresh bits and pieces this week as I am away on Fiday on my holiday to Stratford upon Avon. Bought lots of salad bits round to DDs today for the boys to use up. Tonight is Quiz night so no cooking for me :):)
    JackieO xx
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 136

An awesome NSD, I thank you :beer:
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just packed up remaining odds and ends in the cool bag for my holiday I take a good few tins and some stuff from the freezer to supplement our food stock my friend does as well Save a lot of messing around buying staples when we get there,tes bags coffee etc.Plus gives us more time to explore our surroundings I believe our nearest shop is about two miles from the cottage so arriving with enough for dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow is sensible We normally chuck cash into a purse for our communal food bill and anything left over at the end of the week we donate to the Trussell Trust. We are both savvy shoppers and I have known my friend June for almost 50 years .We have a week away every year exploring England Her OH travels a lot overseas so its a nice break for us both from our respective families (even though we love them all:))She has five grandchildren and I have seven and a Great granddaughter We keep a keen eye in the CS on our holidays for things for the kids :) we also like stately homes and books so we can always find things to do. I shall be back next Friday hopefully as our cottage has no WiFi so will be offline for a week :) Have a great week everyone

JackieO xx
  • TM6
    JackieO wrote: »
    Just packed up remaining odds and ends in the cool bag for my holiday I take a good few tins and some stuff from the freezer to supplement our food stock my friend does as well Save a lot of messing around buying staples when we get there,tes bags coffee etc.Plus gives us more time to explore our surroundings I believe our nearest shop is about two miles from the cottage so arriving with enough for dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow is sensible We normally chuck cash into a purse for our communal food bill and anything left over at the end of the week we donate to the Trussell Trust. We are both savvy shoppers and I have known my friend June for almost 50 years .We have a week away every year exploring England Her OH travels a lot overseas so its a nice break for us both from our respective families (even though we love them all:))She has five grandchildren and I have seven and a Great granddaughter We keep a keen eye in the CS on our holidays for things for the kids :) we also like stately homes and books so we can always find things to do. I shall be back next Friday hopefully as our cottage has no WiFi so will be offline for a week :) Have a great week everyone

JackieO xx

Wishing you a super time JackieO with your friend x
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 137

We had a really lovely family get together round DS house and shared a lovely chinese, the first in I don't know how long. It was lush but hit the purse quite hard!
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 138

We have been away for nearly a week now visiting our children and grandchildren.

Usually a trip away would include a planned shopping trip but despite temptation I haven't stepped inside ANY shops not even a supermarket....how good is that?

Before I shine my halo too brightly :rotfl:, we did have fish and chips for tea.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hope you are having a lovely time Jackie O. Much deserved, and your advice is inspirational.

Re the presents: my family always does Christmas lists. I always put down a range of ideas, nothing too expensive - books I want, things for the garden, supplies for my hobbies and sometimes special food or drink items. I always say that extra 'points' will be scored for second-hand items!

I've heard people say it is soulless and not in the spirit of Christmas, but it means we all get things we actually want and use. There are usually a few surprises in there too, and my sisters and I do stockings for each other, which mostly contain Pound Shop goodies!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 139

What a magical day we had in Fleetwood, Lancashire!

I am a mahoosive fan of Alfie Boe's and I had purchased a ticket to see him before I started this fast.

Even though it potentially could have been an expensive day, we were fairly frugal. Yes we did pick up some nibbles at Morrisons but for my £3 meal deal, I had a gorgeous 'pick and mix' salad along with a sealed bottle of water which I was allowed to take into the concert.

Apart from an ice cream in the afternoon, that was our total spend - not bad me thinks :beer:
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 140

We have had a super week away spending quality time with our children and grandchildren. Despite being on the fast, we have wanted for nothing and we have still been on track frugal wise.

Yes we have had family take ways but we also haven't spend much on shopping this week so I'm pretty sure it will work itself out.

We did do another small shop today and we picked up some hot food at Costco as we travel home.

Having had a wonderful week we have now got to put our heads down and really crack on with listing ebay.

I hope everyone else has had a super weekend :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure