Scam email purporting to be HMRC

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Polly. Take the hyperlink out in your post in case nibblers fall for it on here!

For the avoidance of doubt, it's the link in this line:
    In order to receive your refund, you need to complete the required form.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    OK, thanks guys - just done it.

Had a confirmation email from HMRC that is is a scam.

A few pointers in the original email:

It says
    HM Revenue and Customs will send you a refund automatically when you've paid too much tax.
    but then says you need to click on the link to complete the form to get your refund.
    [FONT=&quot]If you don't complete the required form, you will not receive your refund.[/FONT]
    Contradictory.
    Tax calculation for the year 06 June 2017 to 05 July 2018.
    I always thought tax years were from April to April.
    [FONT=&quot]Each year we check everyone Pay As You Earn account [/FONT]
    Typo - should be everyone's

HMRC say
    HMRC will never send notifications of a tax refund or ask you to disclose personal or payment information by email or text message.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The existence of the email is the only pointer required to know it's a scam, as confirmed by HMRC in your final quote. Just delete it is all you need to do, it certainly doesn't need to be taking up any space on here.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have received a genuine email from the HMRC before and they do not include any links. They write the following :-

For security reasons we have not included a link in this email. To get to your Personal Tax Account search for 'HMRC Personal Tax Account'.
  • Pollycat
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The existence of the email is the only pointer required to know it's a scam, as confirmed by HMRC in your final quote. Just delete it is all you need to do, it certainly doesn't need to be taking up any space on here.

I'm sorry that you think my warning - this IS the Praise, Vent and Warnings board, isn't it? - is 'taking up space on here'.
    I'm sure it's just as appropriate as other posts

Of course, if you think otherwise, you can report my post
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It is indeed as appropriate as any other post about spam emails, but if we all posted every spam email that we received the forum would be 20 times the size it is now and completely unmanageable. As I said, the only sensible thing to do is just delete the email and carry on with life.
  • Pollycat
    agrinnall wrote: »
    It is indeed as appropriate as any other post about spam emails, but if we all posted every spam email that we received the forum would be 20 times the size it is now and completely unmanageable. As I said, the only sensible thing to do is just delete the email and carry on with life.
    Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If the email helps just one person who Googles HMRC scam, finds this thread and sees that their email is exactly the same as the one I received and is confirmed by HMRC as a scam, then I'm sure it's worth the space (especially considering the crap that's posted on lots of other boards).

If you're so concerned about space, maybe report my post to the mods and let them decide if it's worth the space it's taking up.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    HMRC say
    HMRC will never send notifications of a tax refund or ask you to disclose personal or payment information by email or text message.
    Already posted in the thread if you had read it all.:p

See post #4.
  • Pollycat
    cajef wrote: »
    Already posted in the thread if you had read it all.:p

See post #4.

Oh.
    My sincere apologies

I obviously missed the bit in MSE rules that says information once posted can't be repeated. :p
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Oh.
    My sincere apologies

I obviously missed the bit in MSE rules that says information once posted can't be repeated. :p

Apologies graciously accepted.:)

But oh dear as agrinnall has pointed out in their opinion you are taking up unnecessary space on the forums, just think if we all do that the worldwide web will soon be full and no one will be able to post again on any forum .;):D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure