Latest Windows update

Options
Had another update last night. This one only lasted around 5 mins or less: Same again when I put my lappy on this morning: about 5 mins to finish off the update.

I thought it might be helpful to mention it here, so others know to expect one, how long it will take, and to consider whether you do/don't want to set a system restore marker before switching your computer off.

Perhaps we should bump this, or do a new post for each new update? I would find it helpful to have an idea what to expect, but not if it's just me, natch,

Blu X
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apology
THIS IS ME!

Comments

• JamboDP
    JamboDP Posts: 41,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Every time I get a windows update my printer will not work, I have to delete all software for it and then redownload its a pain in the proverbial ****. I wish it would also let you know when it is downloading an update as my laptop slows to a crawl and you think all sorts is wrong with it.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree Jambo - I think it's awful that Microsoft don't even provide an option to do it another time, if we want to. I may or may not have the same printer thing as you get. I haven't tested it yet, but I also have to sometimes delete/reinstall mine. And computers were invented to make life easier! LOL

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blulu wrote: »
    Agree Jambo - I think it's awful that Microsoft don't even provide an option to do it another time, if we want to. I may or may not have the same printer thing as you get. I haven't tested it yet, but I also have to sometimes delete/reinstall mine. And computers were invented to make life easier! LOL

Blu X

It is really annoying that unlike previous windows versions the updates cannot simply be switched off with no pop-up reminders etc and the user can decide when/if they want to download or install them - I previously ran the occasional programme that required continuous operation for possibly several days or they would restart from the beginning and the time already taken would be wasted - To me it makes windows 10 "Not fit for purpose" a computer should easily be able to run for a week or more without shutting itself off/restarting.
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I had a pop up for one and closed it, Went out for a walk and came home, My computer restarted so i was guessing the update took place. But i tend to avoid doing updates when i am in or awake.
    Jan Wins: .
  • gentleorange
    gentleorange Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ever since the last update every tab I open refreshes itself every time I click on it. So Annoying. Next time I buy a laptop I am going to buy a copy of Windows 7 to install on it. I hate Windows 10!
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Options
    Ever since the last update every tab I open refreshes itself every time I click on it. So Annoying. Next time I buy a laptop I am going to buy a copy of Windows 7 to install on it. I hate Windows 10!
    My Toshiba satellite is on it's last legs and I'm gutted at it's a windows 8, I've never had to deal with W10. W8 update faults are second nature to me now. I get a notification when an update is due (next time you switch your computer on, updates will take place) I updated early hours this morning, I couldn't sleep & I needed to track a parcel today so it made sense to update before I needed to use it today. Took about 20 minutes (that's relatively good timing for my old machine) & I just re install avast afterwards.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2018 at 8:34PM
    Options
    I still get all (well, nearly all, with the exception of 5 this year, out of 80+) updates on "Patch Tuesday" as it's sometimes called. It's the second Tuesday of every month, although the updates are often not downloaded and installed until I shutdown my laptop on Wednesday night (as this is the way the automatic updates are set up), they are released on the Tuesday. So I had updates last night, which took about 30 minutes.

My laptop is old and still running Windows 7 though, so I could still customise my updates if I wanted to.....I don't though, I just remember to turn my laptop off about an hour before I plan to go to bed on the second Wednesday of every month, so I know I've got time to leave it to automatically download and install them. I know it doesn't work like that on Windows 10, but the day is the same.

You can turn automatic updates off completely in Windows 10 (I forget exactly how, but I remember doing it for a friend via the services manager I think it was), but that isn't really recommended and you'd have to remember to turn them back on to do the updates at some point, so they are best left set up to be automatic. At least it's a pretty safe bet that there will, at a minimum, be updates released on the second Tuesday (installed on Wednesday) of every month, like last night. Although, of course it's not official, so they could stop doing this at some point! :)
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    Options
    You can turn automatic updates off completely in Windows 10 (I forget exactly how, but I remember doing it for a friend via the services manager I think it was), but that isn't really recommended and you'd have to remember to turn them back on to do the updates at some point,

I could not find a (simple) way to shut them off when I looked maybe a year or so ago, there were various methods described on the internet but they were all more involved than just altering a setting from say "automatically download" to "asking before downloading" or "do not automatically check for updates".
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2018 at 11:17PM
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    I could not find a (simple) way to shut them off when I looked maybe a year or so ago, there were various methods described on the internet but they were all more involved than just altering a setting from say "automatically download" to "asking before downloading" or "do not automatically check for updates".

Yeah, it's a workaround, so more involved, but quite quick. I think this was what I did (I don't remember exactly as it was last year sometime!)......used the Services Manger to change the start up type to disabled (options are automatic, automatic (delayed start), manual and disabled). I wouldn't recommend doing it, but we just did it as a one off, so my friend could get something done and then we changed it back to automatic. I don't actually know if it still works as they may have made changes since we used it.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10
  • EnglishWelshie
    EnglishWelshie Posts: 3,265 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I found windows 10 great to start with but then it became too intrusive and updates seemed to mess up my computer too much so I went back to windows 7 it was the best thing I ever did everything now runs smoothly again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure