Marks and Spencer Shrinking Clothes

Options
Hi All

I buy a lot of M&S T-Shirts (Mens large size) and I'm starting to get angry, I've noticed that about 25% of them have shrunk.

They start of measuring 46" around the chest and after one 30 degree wash (not tumble dried) they are down to 43"

It's been my practice to buy throughout the year when I see one I like and save them for my holidays. I now have to make sure I wear them once in case they shrink.

Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They stopped British made many years ago .
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may pay to measure the items across the chest when new with a tape measure to confirm size when you buy the item.

Anything you buy keep your receipt to show how much you paid for it.

If you follow the washing instructions for the item and it shrinks in the wash you are able to take it back and obtain a refund on the item as it is faulty. You should be refunded the cost of the item in cash.

M&S would refund it as an RTM (Return to Manufacturer)
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    You should be refunded the cost of the item in cash to the same method as used for payment.

Corrected that for you ... a cash refund is only mandated if the original payment method was cash. (Money Laundering regs). :)
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    They stopped British made many years ago .

I'm not sure the OP made any reference to where they were made.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've just compared a newish "M&S Man" brand with an older "M&S Blue Harbour" brand, and the new one is about an inch shorter.
  • DoaM
    Options
    Shorter or narrower? (The length of the garment may change between brands/suppliers ... the OP's concern is about shrinkage after washing).
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Corrected that for you ... a cash refund is only mandated if the original payment method was cash. (Money Laundering regs). :)

When a refund at M&S is carried out as a RTM the till will default to Cash. This is the case even if the customer has the receipt with them.

The original payment method should be used for a refund when not for a faulty item.

If the item is returned without a receipt then a refund is given with a credit note.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• DoaM
    Options
    Perhaps your describing M&S policy ... in theory this could land them in hot water as technically they're in breach of the Money Laundering regs. The reason for a return is irrelevant - it should be back to the same method of payment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    When a refund at M&S is carried out as a RTM the till will default to Cash. This is the case even if the customer has the receipt with them.

The original payment method should be used for a refund when not for a faulty item.

If the item is returned without a receipt then a refund is given with a credit note.

We returned a t-shirt on Thursday last week with receipt.

The t-shirt was bought online, but arrived damaged (faded patches of dye). It was returned as a RTM (the cashier explained what he was doing). The refund was back on debit card and not in cash.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure the OP made any reference to where they were made.

As in M&S quality dropped when they changed suppliers .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure