Advice needed, selling car privately

Morbier
Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
Hello all

Newbie here, so bear with me.

I’m selling my Mini Cooper S privately as I assume that I will get more money for it that way.

However, being a lady ‘of a certain age’ I am a bit worried about when it comes to taking prospective buyers for a test drive. Nothing wrong with the car, I hasten to add, just me feeling very vulnerable with strangers in my car. What if a couple of big, burly blokes turn up?! Never mind whether we could all fit in a Mini! What is there to stop them chucking me out and driving off with my car?

I know I have to make sure they have insurance before I let them drive, and I know not to leave the engine running while I am outside the car, in case they jump in and drive off but what else should I do?

Apologies in advance to any big, burly blokes who would never harm little old (well, not that old) ladies! It was just an example of my fears.

Some useful hints from anyone who has been in this situation would be very welcome, thanks.
I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)

Comments

• alan_d
    alan_d Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think you're worrying too much.
    If you're unhappy with the potential buyer(s) then you could refuse to let them drive it.
    Or take the hit and use we-buy-any-car or trade it in.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Arrange to have a big burly friend with you when they come to test drive.
  • Insist on seeing that they are insured to drive it (usually drive another car witht he owners permission). If they aren't just offer to demonstrate it to them with you driving.

Might be less hassle to just sell it to WeBuyAnyCar or similar.
  • Morbier
    Yes, I agree that WeBuyAnyCar would save on the hassle but I!!!8217;m being penny-pinching and trying to get as much as I can for it.

I understand that WBAC would offer less than I could get on eBay/Autotrader etc but I!!!8217;ve also heard that when you take it in, they reduce their offer further.

Yes, I!!!8217;d also thought of having a big burly bloke with me but there!!!8217;s a limit to how many people you can get in a Mini!, (legally)!
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Penelopa.Pitstop Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I took buyer on a test drive, he was just sitting on passenger side and listening to any noise or potential issues. Actually, it wasn't even buyer, but his friend.

Alternative to WBAC is Tootle.co.uk You advertise your car there and get offers from traders. I successfully sold my previous car this way, got decent offers and it was hassle free. It's free for seller, trader pays commission to the website.
  • Morbier
    I!!!8217;ve heard of Tootle but thought it was for newer cars, mine!!!8217;s ten years old.

I like the idea of letting the prospective purchaser sitting in the passenger seat on a test drive. Wouldn!!!8217;t they be suspicious if I refused to let them drive? There!!!8217;s absolutely nothing wrong with it but I!!!8217;m trying to look at it from a buyer!!!8217;s point of view.

I may be making mountains out of molehills . . .
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Penelopa.Pitstop Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Tootle is free, so you can still try it, you won't lose a lot, except 15 minutes, to post an ad.
  • Morbier
    Why do my apostrophes keep coming out funny?
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morbier wrote: »
    Why do my apostrophes keep coming out funny?
    You're probably using an iThing of some kind made by the evil empire.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Morbier
    Yep. Not getting into an argument about that!

In response to Penelopa, the Tootle web site says they don!!!8217;t deal with cars over ten years (mine was ten in April) but I put the details in anyway. It came up with a really ridiculously low price so I shan!!!8217;t bother. Thanks for the idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure