Scam email purporting to be HMRC

Received an email saying I was entitled to a tax refund of £490.00
As my husband had just transferred his married tax allowance to me I fell for it and put my bank details into the linked page so they could pay my "refund" direct into my bank account :o
Luckily I realised my mistake within 24 hours and cancelled my bank card before any money was taken
Having looked again at the linked page they sent me further links from that page are genuine HRMC links
I guess they are targeting people now as lots will be expecting rebates from tax returns submitted :mad:

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nicter wrote: »
    Received an email saying I was entitled to a tax refund of £490.00
    As my husband had just transferred his married tax allowance to me I fell for it and put my bank details into the linked page so they could pay my "refund" direct into my bank account :o
    Luckily I realised my mistake within 24 hours and cancelled my bank card before any money was taken
    Having looked again at the linked page they sent me further links from that page are genuine HRMC links
    I guess they are targeting people now as lots will be expecting rebates from tax returns submitted :mad:

What bank details did you give them exactly out of interest because to give you a refund they would have only needed your account number and sort code.

To avoid these scams you just need to use some common sense:

-They wouldn't need any card details for a tax refund
    -Emails are not secure so no one will ever send you a link to directly enter your bank details, it would be via a login page.
    -How did they get your email address?, if you havn't made an account at HRMC they wouldn't have it on record.
    -If you did make an account with them then you would have been asked to login (as above)
    -Did you look at the webpage address as all goverment sites are .gov.uk
    -Did you check the security certifcate of the site before entering sensitive information, did it even have one?

Like TadleyBaggie this is a very common scam. So in future you just need to take more care before handing over senssitive details.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    From HMRC website
    HMRC phishing emails, texts and tax scams
    HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will never use texts or emails to:

• tell you about a tax rebate or penalty
    • ask for personal or payment information
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Weird, I had an e-mail from HMRC on Sunday. It addressed me by name, didn't have any links to click and wasn't after any bank details. It did tell me there had been a new estimate of my tax liabilities and a new notice of coding was available. I logged into my personal tax account which has a 12 digit user name, 12 digit password and then they send you a OTP (one time password) to your mobile, so fairly safe. Anyway there was no notice of coding so I sent the e-mail to the phishing dept. of HMRC. Haven't heard back yet! There was no phone number to ring on a Sunday (thank goodness scammer & hoaxers don't work week-ends!) so I rang them on Monday. My account had not been compromised, there was no notice of coding and the agent didn't know why the e-mail had been sent. I have also written to HMRC asking for an explanation. If I get one, I will post it here.
  • My friend got one of these recently that wanted to inform his of his "tad refund". Typos are a bit of a giveaway, too!

As I said on the bank phishing thread, don't be fooled by the use of your name - most of the places scammers harvest the emails from also include the names associated with those addresses (honestly, a lot still come from friends' address books because they've clicked a dodgy link and let a virus get access). Check the email it's come from, check the link it wants you to click, and then log in by the route you know to be safe and see if the information is reflected there.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

The OP didn't say it was a new thing, nor is this forum restricted to 'new things' only.
  • Apollonia
    Apollonia Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2017 at 3:18PM
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Weird, I had an e-mail from HMRC on Sunday. It addressed me by name, didn't have any links to click and wasn't after any bank details. It did tell me there had been a new estimate of my tax liabilities and a new notice of coding was available.

I got the same email today - it is because the personal tax allowance for FY 17/18 is £11500. Last year it was £1100 so tax codes have changed to reflect the extra £500.

My new code was on the PAYE page.

ETA here's a link that has all the new tax rates etc for 2017/18:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2017-18/tax-and-tax-credit-rates-and-thresholds-for-2017-18
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 February 2017 at 6:14PM
    Apollonia wrote: »
    I got the same email today - it is because the personal tax allowance for FY 17/18 is £11500. Last year it was £1100 so tax codes have changed to reflect the extra £500.

My new code was on the PAYE page.
    I have checked three times over three days and there is still no new notice of coding. I will have another look.

ETA
    Well, I have had another look and I eventually was taken to a completely different looking area where I could see PAYE and clicking on that allowed me to view my latest Tax Code plus the calculations BUT the area where I was taken first tonight and on Sunday seems to relate to when I was self-employed, had a business, was buying and selling property and had to complete self-assessment forms. There is still no "Notice of Coding" under the clickable link marked "Notice of Coding." However, I am now satisfied that the e-mail was genuine. Shame the chap I spoke to on Monday morning didn't know all this!!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 12 July 2018 at 1:48PM
    I know this is an old thread but I've just received an email purporting to be from HMRC:

white-space_original_crop.jpg
    hmrc-header-original_crop.pnggreen-spacer_original_crop.jpg
    Income Tax Refund
    Tax calculation for the year 06 June 2017 to 05 July 2018.
    You have paid too much tax. HMRC owes you £481.00

HM Revenue and Customs will send you a refund automatically when you've paid too much tax.
    [FONT=&quot]In order to receive your refund, <<snip>>.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Why you have paid too much tax?[/FONT]

Each year we check everyone Pay As You Earn account to see if the correct amount of income Tax was collected . We have now looked at the latest information we hold for this year and have worked out that you have paid too much tax. We provide a full calculation and explanation in this document .

[FONT=&quot]Note:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] If you don't complete the required form, you will not receive your refund.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]HMRC help and support for landlords.[/FONT]
    a-walsh-signature_crop.png
    [FONT=&quot]Alison Walsh[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Head of Digital Support for Business and Agents[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stay safe online[/FONT]
    If you think that an email is suspicious, please report it to <<snip>> information visit our security pages at GOV.UK and search ââ!!!8218;¬Ë!!!339;Avoid and report internet scams and phishing.
    <<snip>>
    [FONT=&quot]HMRC emails are issued by GovDelivery, our trusted email service provider.[/FONT]
    SUBSCRIBER SERVICES: |
    If you Google Alison Walsh, she is indeed Head of Digital Support for Business and Agents.
    Alison Walsh

Digital Services for Business & Agents (DSBA) team

Digital support for business and agents a hit during SA 2016

Posted by: Alison Walsh, Posted on: 14 March 2016 - Categories: Digital services, Guest blog
    SA16-infographic_v4-1024x768.jpg I!!!8217;m Alison Walsh from HMRC!!!8217;s Digital Services for Business & Agents (DSBA) team, here to tell you about our fantastic Self Assessment 2016 campaign. We work on creating and developing digital services to provide our business and agent customers with !!!8230;

https://hmrcdigital.blog.gov.uk/author/alison-walsh/
  • Polly. Take the hyperlink out in your post in case nibblers fall for it on here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure