Regular Savings Accounts Article Discussion

Comments

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Just to advise that Nottingham BS will be launching a 6% regular saver on Thursday. Am guessing Derbyshire may be doing too?

Nottingham and Derbyshire Building Societies are not linked at all.

You might be thinking of Derbyshire and Cheshire.
  • rb10 wrote: »
    Nottingham and Derbyshire Building Societies are not linked at all.

You might be thinking of Derbyshire and Cheshire.

You're probably correct.

I'll update the OP to just concentrate on the original point.

Cheers
  • msauk
    msauk Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 November 2012 at 5:54PM
    If you want the step by step method/proof rather than just taking any calculators on trust...

£x - the amount deposited per month
    y% - the Gross/AER (This assumes interest paid yearly.)

In the first month, you deposit £x, and it acquires 1/12th of y% interest - £x * y%/12
    In the second month, you deposit another £x, and the £2x gets another 1/12th of y% interest - £2x * y%/12
    In the third month deposit another £x resulting in £3x * y%/12 interest for the month
    In the fourth month ... etc.

So for the full year you have interest of (£x + £2x + £3x+... + £12x)* y%/12

1+2+3...+12 = 78 So

Interest = £78x * y%/12 or simplifying (multiply both by 12)
    Interest = £6.5x * y%

So the quick calculation is to take your monthly deposit, multiply by 6.5 and apply the AER interest to the result. Don't forget to apply income tax at your marginal (top) rate before using the result.

:T

Was really grateful for this post, so I'd like to share the maths that I used to see if i could get the same answers as the "regular savings calculator". This relates to the "regular savings calculator" on the main moneysavingexpert.com webpage, which works out interest accrued from drip feeding (monthly) the same amount from a savings account.

So, for example (having "I want to drip feed the money" selected), I input these options:

Save for 1 year
    Non tax payer
    In normal savings account: interest before tax is 3.12%, and amount in here is £3600
    To regular savings account: interest before tax is 8% (e.g. first bank) and £300 paid pcm

The calculator says (after drip-feeding the cash for 12 months):
    £52 from normal savings and £154 in the regular saver.

What maths has the calculator used to derive that £52 figure?

I've been playing around with an excel spreadsheet to get an answer. Here's the basic formula that I used:

Interest = [A * (1+(R/100)/360)^N] - A

A = amount invested
    R = yearly rate
    N = actual number of days invested

So Month 1 (30 days): 3300 in normal savings, and 300 in regular saver. Interest accrued in normal savings = [3300*(1+0.0312/360)^30] - 3300 = 8.59
    Month 2: change 3300 to 3000
    Month 3: change 3300 to 2700....
    and so on until
    Month 12: 0 in normal savings

I then tot up all the interest calculations for each month and get £51.54

I reckon there is a simplified formula that will work and produce the same figure, rather like the elegant Interest = £6.5x * y%, from Paul_Herring's post that works well for calculating the interest accrued from a regular savings account, paying in x every month and gaining y%.

Interest from normal savings: 5.5xQ-5.5x
    x = starting amount in normal savings account (e.g. £3600 before any drip-feeding starts)
    Q = (1+y%/360)^30, where y% is the interest rate of the normal savings account

5.5x is derived from 11/12x + 10/12x + 9/12x + 8/12x .... 1/12x

Any improvements on my maths (most welcome....been a long while since I did my school exams!)?
  • msauk wrote: »
    I've been playing around with an excel spreadsheet to get an answer. Here's the basic formula that I used:

Interest = [A * (1+(R/100)/360)^N] - A

A = amount invested
    R = yearly rate
    N = actual number of days invested

That formula looks like the one you'd use for daily compounding of interest. But in practise compounding is either monthly (if interest is paid monthy) or annually (if interest credited annually).

If interest is credited annually, it's basically just simple interest, and so it would be A * r * N / 360

(where r is annual interest rate as a multiplier = percentage amount / 100)

For monthly interest, it's a bit messier : you'd use a monthly compounding for whole months, and then simple interest for remaining days in the final month.

And of course it gets more complicated if your simple savings account credits interest at different interval from the regular saver (eg former is monthly but latter is on maturity). I think you get slightly more interest from the drip-feed account if you choose annual interest rather than monthly interest, which also makes the sums easier.

I'd then approach the drip-feed calculation by treating the interest from the regular saver as a delta over the drip-feed account. So all the money is getting the "base" of the drip-feed account for the whole duration, but then some of it gets extra interest at the difference between the two rates for some of the time.

So for your example, 3600 * 0.0312 + 300 * 6.5 * (0.08 - 0.0312) = 207.48

which is slightly higher than the calculator gives. This probably does end up the same as your approach : the 5.5 will appear as (12 - 6.5) - if the money is in the reg saver for 6.5 months on average, then it is in the drip-feed account for 5.5 months on average.
  • Hi - I have just had a regular savings account which reached maturity and my calculations of how much I should be paid out don't agree with what the bank says I am getting. Can anyone help me and work out what they think I should get. My account is a regular saver - it is 8% interest. I don't pay tax. The first month I put in £300 and so on until the 11th month and 12th month when I put in £100 each month. I don't want to say here yet what I worked it out at or what the bank worked it out at as I would like to know what other people get for the result. Please let me know. Thanks
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    treasures wrote: »
    Hi - I have just had a regular savings account which reached maturity and my calculations of how much I should be paid out don't agree with what the bank says I am getting. Can anyone help me and work out what they think I should get. My account is a regular saver - it is 8% interest. I don't pay tax. The first month I put in £300 and so on until the 11th month and 12th month when I put in £100 each month. I don't want to say here yet what I worked it out at or what the bank worked it out at as I would like to know what other people get for the result. Please let me know. Thanks
    £152 without tax deducted..
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 December 2012 at 4:17PM
    treasures wrote: »
    Hi - I have just had a regular savings account which reached maturity and my calculations of how much I should be paid out don't agree with what the bank says I am getting. Can anyone help me and work out what they think I should get.

Agree with pqrdef ignoring rounding. See this google drive spreadsheet here which gives £150.57 gross in cell L20.

Assuming this is the First Direct regular saver that should be very close to the correct answer.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Thank you very much for your reply's and for your help. I think my working out might be a little wrong then. The bank actually got it to 151.47. Take care
  • ColuGav
    ColuGav Posts: 32 Forumite
    With the HSBC regular saver at the moment, can you do multiple deposits a month as long as you ensure that you do not go over the deposit limits?

Or are you restricted to one deposit a month no matter what?
  • fiesta04
    fiesta04 Posts: 516 Forumite
    Answers are on HSBC website. Took me 30seconds to find the answers.

F4
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure