Missed call on my work number

I had a missed call from a number I didn't recognise this morning. Google tells me it was from a company called Sterling Oak Ltd in Orpington. A further Google tells me they're debt collectors.

I don't have any debts.

Of course, they never left a message but I'm a bit surprised that anyone has my work number as I rarely use it and I never give it out to anybody, neither is it available online in a directory.

If they call back, is there any reason why I should/shouldn't speak to them?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair

Comments

• barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2018 at 3:45PM
    I wouldn!!!8217;t bother calling them back, they may have just misdialled your number in any case.
    Of course, if you DO call them back, it !!!8220;validates!!!8221; your number and you!!!8217;ll possibly have to endure loads of calls from them, while they try to get you to admit to a debt which isn!!!8217;t yours.

If you!!!8217;re sure that it doesn!!!8217;t relate to you, block the number and forget about it!

*Sorry...have just reread your post. Block them so you don!!!8217;t have to worry about them calling back. Why waste your time, convincing them that you aren!!!8217;t the person that they!!!8217;re looking for?
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Barbiedoll. My work phone is a landline so I can't block the number, unfortunately.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldnt be blocking them immediately. It could easily have arisen from fraudulent activity.

Id be checking my credit reports to see if anythings a miss first.
  • pimento
    I get a Noddle report every month. Who are the other two?
  • kuratowski
    kuratowski Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Clearscore (Equifax data) and MSE Credit Club (Experian data)
  • Probably just tracing somebody with the same or similar name - ignore unless they call back again
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We used to get the odd one direct through to my office on the geographic number (we only ever gave out the usual 0845 type numbers, I didn't even know what the land line number was). Suspect they were mis-dials or that someone had used the wrong number but they were always after someone by name for these purposes and I always just told them they had come through to a business and they went away
  • pimento
    Well I just tried to get my £2 report from Equifax and ended up speaking to a foreign person who I could barely understand who told me I had to send a scanned copy of my passport, my marriage certificate and a utility bill to some web site where I had to create another account.

Don't think I'll be bothering with that.

What happened to filling out a form and posting it in?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    pimento wrote: »
    Well I just tried to get my £2 report from Equifax and ended up speaking to a foreign person who I could barely understand who told me I had to send a scanned copy of my passport, my marriage certificate and a utility bill to some web site where I had to create another account.

Don't think I'll be bothering with that.

What happened to filling out a form and posting it in?

Click on the 'Order by Post' tab on this page. You'll find similar on each of the CRA sites.

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html#section-three-hp
  • Wait until Friday and you can request it for free :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure