Paying off credit cards transactions 1 by 1!

I've just come up with a way of paying off my credit card debt which i feel makes more sense to me and makes me more focused. I'm sure others are doing it too but i thought i would post just incase it helps someone else!

I've made a spreadsheet and written down every transaction that makes up the amount I owe on my barclaycard. I've categorised these into food, shopping, nails (i'm a technician), outings, petrol & adhoc.

I tend to make the set payment i can and then as I don't have enough money to make any other significant payments throughout the month I haven't been bothering. Using this spreadsheet though I can pick a transaction and then pay that specific transaction off. So i've only got £8.43 I could spare until payday but I looked and paid off costa @ £3.40 and Amazon @ £4.99. That's then 2 transactions gone off my spreadsheet and I feel like i'm actually paying off the specific things i've spent the money on rather than chunks of money being thrown at it as a whole.

I've then got another page on the spreadsheet where I'm moving the transactions too so I can see how much I've paid off.

This might or might not work for you, but I just wanted something to help me visualise where the smaller payments are going too rather then think oh £10 is nothing off £6k

Hope this might help someone!

Comments

• katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've just come up with a way of paying off my credit card debt which i feel makes more sense to me and makes me more focused. I'm sure others are doing it too but i thought i would post just incase it helps someone else!

I've made a spreadsheet and written down every transaction that makes up the amount I owe on my barclaycard. I've categorised these into food, shopping, nails (i'm a technician), outings, petrol & adhoc.

I tend to make the set payment i can and then as I don't have enough money to make any other significant payments throughout the month I haven't been bothering. Using this spreadsheet though I can pick a transaction and then pay that specific transaction off. So i've only got £8.43 I could spare until payday but I looked and paid off costa @ £3.40 and Amazon @ £4.99. That's then 2 transactions gone off my spreadsheet and I feel like i'm actually paying off the specific things i've spent the money on rather than chunks of money being thrown at it as a whole.

I've then got another page on the spreadsheet where I'm moving the transactions too so I can see how much I've paid off.

This might or might not work for you, but I just wanted something to help me visualise where the smaller payments are going too rather then think oh £10 is nothing off £6k

Hope this might help someone!

what a fab idea! I'm going to start to do this thanks!
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    This is a good method to continue to use when you are DF and intend paying your CC off in full each month.

Everytime you spend on your CC, move the amount for that transaction to your bills account - have a DD set up to collect the CC paying in full and the money will be sittng there for it. (Even better if it's sitting in a high interest account).

This then reports to your CR - use, pay in full, repeat - demonstrating good management of credit.

Well done
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Penguin8410
    Penguin8410 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks Dobbibill i will definitly continue to do this when i'm debt free too!

hope it helps Katie4!
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well done you. It also helps keep you focussed on what is outstanding and may help minimise your future spending too. It's all too easy (and I appreciate sometimes necessary) to use a credit card - but the interest charges are simply dreadful. My concern is for those who only ever pay/can pay the minimums. MSE has a calculator that goes to show how long it could take people to be DF doing that - scary numbers in terms of years !
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    What a great idea :)
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's an amazing idea thank you!
  • Ogden
    Ogden Posts: 32 Forumite
    This is a great idea! And once I’m DF (nearly there) I will set it up :)
    Nearly debt free
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I did this last year, would look at my statement and cross them off one by one as the money became available.

Now I use ynab and the way credit cards work in that is that when you spend you categorise the transaction and ynab moves the money from the category you have spent from to the credit card line, meaning it is no longer available in you category to spend again.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport