Mooloo's little tapestry of life, 2016

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    greenbee wrote: »
    i hope you said no to the sheet Mooloo!

Unfortunately when she dumped it on the desk I didn't look at it properly or I would have.
    I did the best I could, and staff took it to the cleaners. However I have learnt my lesson and any well spoken person dropping off a little repair will have their item properly examined first!! At Christmas we had the saga with a gentleman a damask table cloths, and have also previously had a sheet to repair, and a duvet cover.
    When I think about it, every single one of them were people who were giving off the image of well to do/affluent, and you wonder why they don't just buy a new one. I wouldn't sleep on a sheet that was so patched! Especially when you can buy a sheet in Even the supermarket for about a tenner!

DGD was in bed when I got home. Thankfully didn't play my friend up.
    It was just after 10pm when I got in. We were deciding on the patterns and fabrics etc, doing the personal measurements and starting to draw out the correct size patterns in our time.
    They didn't have enough fabric for the pattern of their choice, so they have to source more fabric before the next lesson.
    I really felt like making something for me with all that creativity going on. I must try and find more time.
    In the shop my bits and pieces are slowly selling and I really will need to make more bags and bits etc to restock soon.
    Time Management is the key there then.
    DGD goes to her Mum today after school for half term. Luckily the builders will be in while she is away.
    However I haven't even packed a suitcase for her yet! Eek.
    I better get a move on and start. I have to be at work on time as staff is on limited hours due to caring for her father-in-law when her hubby is at work.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    Well I'm on my own. I should be enjoying it and doing all the things I need to while DGD is away. However yesterday as I left her at school and told her teacher her Mummy was picking her up, I felt really emotional and started to cry! One of the other Mummies stopped me and offered an ear, and has suggested a night together for a meal etc during the week, when her hubby is back from his job.
    So I have that to look forward too.
    Biggest of Mooloos annoyed me yesterday, telling me not to be so negative etc etc. Well I was sad, not negative. There is a difference. Yes it's good that DGD has s relationship with her Mum, and that Mum is interested in having a relationship still even now she has the baby. But I feel the loss of not having DGD here. It's strange at home alone.
    Ds messaged me about an hour ago, I think he wanted a lift but I took the opportunity to have a couple of beers with staff and her family after work last night, sitting in their lovely back garden enjoying the sun, so I left the car there and walked home. So no lift for DS. ( I'm actually glad I had the excuse that I didn't have the car, or I'd have once again dropped everything and got up early to help!).
    I'm off for my shower, then a lovely walk to work.
    Fittings at 9.30 and 11am I believe.
    The usual alterations in between, and a pair of curtains to start anyway.
    Then tonight I'm going back to my friend in Oxford for the evening.
    Something to look forward too.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There is always the option of phoning and saying "I'm really sorry Mrs Posh, I've had a good look at the things you left and I'm afraid the sheet is past repair."

Plus asking for it to be taken to the cleaners would have rung alarm bells for me: I thought you were only accepting things in a clean condition these days!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Biggest of Mooloos annoyed me yesterday, telling me not to be so negative etc etc. Well I was sad, not negative. There is a difference.

That's the curse for the person who always helps, always makes an effort to be cheerful, to cheer other people up. You kind of set a standard, then the rest of the world expects you to live up to that standard 24/7. You're not meant to have an off day.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    Sue, the sheet was clean, it just needed ironing. Certainly would not have touched it if it was dirty.
    Sent a ladies dress back to her Friday as it had makeup all over the back. Told her won't work on it until it was clean, seamstress won't do it, and we can't have makeup on the machines as we could end up with it on a wedding dress etc. She tried to say sew it first but we refused.
    The last two or three days we have sent a lot of people away to clean things before we will work on them. Including a horse blanket! The smell was so strong it would have stunk the shop out!
    Why do people think it's ok to expect us to repair something dirty?
    From urine stains on trousers, food stains on dresses and jackets and animal hairs on all sorts of things? I'd be too embarrassed to take something dirty to someone.
    I even get embarrassed at taking my car to the garage if it's dirty!

Didn't get to do the curtains as ended up with several extra fittings, and an emergency alteration for a ladies dress needed for a wedding at 2pm.
    I also got to modify a pair of jeans into a skirt, and started to make a cape/cardigan in the last hour.
    Had a lovely evening in Oxford, drinks on the roof of the Varsity Club bar near the covered market, and a tasty meal in one of the pubs.
    Now I'm about to watch the F1 on the Telli. A day with my feet up.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Hi Mooloo, do you charge for an express service? The lady downstairs charges an extra 30% for a same day turnaround and it has to be in before 12 noon. And doable, of course, so I am guessing it's only alterations she offers an express service for.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    dktreesea wrote: »
    Hi Mooloo, do you charge for an express service? The lady downstairs charges an extra 30% for a same day turnaround and it has to be in before 12 noon. And doable, of course, so I am guessing it's only alterations she offers an express service for.

Usually we add a £5 to a rush job. Although the hem yesterday I'd charged £17.50 thinking it was a lined dress when in fact it wasn't, so it would have been a £13 job so not too far off.
    I don't have an exact rule of thumb though.
    I think making 30% policy would be a good one.
    Spent the evening doing the accounts. We took £3.440 in May!
    The highest take was last September at £3.966
    So I'm quite happy. My target is £4,000 for June. After that it tends to drop off with people away on holiday, most weddings are done and the proms will be over.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    A day of housework while I'm home alone!
    The washing is continually on, I have attacked DGDs bedroom. What a mess under the bed! I've filled a black sack of rubbish from just the floor!
    I've vacuumed the front room, the hall, stairs and her room.
    Now I'm going to have a cuppa.
    It's looking like rain, which is not so good when trying to wash the bedding etc.
    Time to see if the cover for my rotary line will fit. The last one died a death a few years ago, and it's taken me until now to get another one. It arrived on Friday.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    Today was spent doing chores. Emptying the cupboard under the stairs ready for the damp proof company to take out plaster walls in there and the bathroom. The next stage of the dirty work begins.
    I've been looking at fridge/freezers and cookers in anticipation of giving my kitchen an overhaul once the ceiling is done.
    As I have had my cooker from a Freecycle option 5 plus years ago, and the leaky fridge/freezer for 10 years second hand.
    I think if I want to like living here (which I don't) then I better start to surround myself with a few things that are functional and that I like.
    So the options I have looked at are the usual choice of the cheapest one that suits my needs, and the fancier, costlier ones that will meet my emotional needs too!
    I have decided that I would like the red cooker and fridge, over the black one, and good old white goods least of all. I cannot change my units as the place is now housing association ( used to be council).
    So I will be crunching the numbers ready in anticipation of the new.
    Via Quidco, ( or top cash back) of course.
    Via Argos possibly on my (what was once Homebase card) Argos card on a buy now pay later scheme. (To be paid off in full at said date).
    The approx £700 spend spread over the buy later option will give me plenty of time to clear the funds.
    But forever being a penny watcher I can't quite press the buy now button. Till I am sure.
  • hign10pines
    hign10pines Posts: 380 Forumite
    yay finally got to the end of all your threads :) Yes I read them all (procrastinating from exam revision).

It is so nice to see how much has changed since the beginning. I so wanted to shout at you so many time about your kids, their demands and you always giving in (your life could so easily have been on Jeremy Kyle). Glad to see they are finally sorting out their lives (sort of).

I take it there are no issues with twin1 and GS5 with regards to SS? I wonder if twin2 might think she can have another kid and get to keep it.

Hopefully the shop will continue to grow this year.
    Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family