MSE News: Couples now able to register to shift tax allowance between spouses

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    sheramber wrote: »
    I beleive there is a specific phone number to use for this which is given in the invitation to apply.

There is a phone number given in earlier posts.

They are dealing with a large volume of claims so dealys are inevetable but the allowance will give effect back to the beginning of the tax year so nothing is lost.

The number's 0300 200 3300 and they're now saying they can't do anything to help.

And there is something lost by the delay - the ability to use the money now, rather than later.
  • I'm at a dead end with this marriage allowance. My wife and I are pensioners and we tried to verify my wife with 2 agencies to no avail. The problem is that we married in the 1960's and like a lot of other couples, the mortgage and utility bills are in my name alone which was the norm in those days. Apart from a joint bank account my wife has nothing in her name. I fear that this has come back to haunt me.
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My husband received his company pension payment today and the new tax code has been applied and backdated as he had a tax refund. Eventually it got sorted I think its just a waiting game.
  • I had an email reply from HMRC on 22nd February 2015 acknowledging my application to transfer my tax allowance to my husband. I have since telephoned and emailed them numerous times about taking it further. On the phone I was told a number of times it would be resolved within 13 weeks. By email I was asuured that my application has been received and I would be contacted.

So far - NOTHING. What the devil am I supposed to do?

Dewiijon
  • Doc_N
    dewijon wrote: »
    I had an email reply from HMRC on 22nd February 2015 acknowledging my application to transfer my tax allowance to my husband. I have since telephoned and emailed them numerous times about taking it further. On the phone I was told a number of times it would be resolved within 13 weeks. By email I was asuured that my application has been received and I would be contacted.

So far - NOTHING. What the devil am I supposed to do?

Dewiijon

I'm in the same boat - it's a shambolic mess, as is everything with HMRC these days.

There's little you can do - except to register your complaint here:

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/contact/beta-feedback-unauthenticated
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Sent an email on Tuesday politely asking why I hadn't been contacted and saying we need the money.
    Received my invitation this morning - coincidence or what?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    I did it !
    Not without difficulty. Started by using the PO. The service fell apart half way through, leaving me with no clue what to do next.
    Started again with Verizon, they didn't like my bank account number.
    Then I went to Digidentity. They were a bit wary about my (different) bank account number. They asked a series of questions about loans/credit/store cards, then registered me.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • sghughes42
    sghughes42 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd originally posted in the other thread, the one linked from the MSE article, but this one seems more active.

Is this open to all, or just UK nationals? The reason I ask is that my wife could transfer some of her allowance to me, but she has none of the IDs it appears she would need to do so.

She's Taiwanese, on a spouse visa at the moment, so doesn't have a UK passport or driving license. Due to this she can't get UK credit so her phone contract is in my name, she only has a basic UK bank account and the mortgage and all bills are in my name as well.

She does actually have a BRP (biometric residence permit) - is that likely to be accepted or are we limited to phoning up the helpline and hoping we can get through and find someone helpful?
  • Doc_N
    sghughes42 wrote: »
    I'd originally posted in the other thread, the one linked from the MSE article, but this one seems more active.

Is this open to all, or just UK nationals? The reason I ask is that my wife could transfer some of her allowance to me, but she has none of the IDs it appears she would need to do so.

She's Taiwanese, on a spouse visa at the moment, so doesn't have a UK passport or driving license. Due to this she can't get UK credit so her phone contract is in my name, she only has a basic UK bank account and the mortgage and all bills are in my name as well.

She does actually have a BRP (biometric residence permit) - is that likely to be accepted or are we limited to phoning up the helpline and hoping we can get through and find someone helpful?

Your wife will be entitled to a Personal Allowance, and there's no reason why the Marriage Allowance provisions, if you both meet them, shouldn't apply.

She may not be able to meet the online application criteria because of the absence of passport/driving licence, but it will still be possible to have the matter dealt with 'manually'. As I understand the position, though, she'll still have to register and wait for the email allowing her to start the process.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    got the link friday, wife failed to verify on experian, then just took me back to the government page and we entered NI number and DOB and that was it got a email message saying it will be transferred, pretty easy really

"Thanks for applying for the new Marriage Allowance. We’ve received your application.

We’ll reduce your personal allowance by £1060 and increase your spouse or civil partners allowance by the same amount. This will apply for the current tax year and will continue into future tax years.

If they usually complete a Self-Assessment return, we’ll write to them to confirm the transfer.

If they’re employed and pay tax via PAYE, we’ll send them a revised notice of tax coding by post.

There is no need to contact us.

"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family