Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• soberton
    soberton Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am new to this forum but I have been with Powershop UK since mid June 2017. Overall, they are brilliant, cheap electricity and extremely good and knowledgeable customer service. Some background, I was a Southern Electric customer until I moved to Powershop. I am all electric and use in excess of 11000KwH per year on Economy 7 with about 55% on the cheaper of the 2 tariffs.

When I started with Powershop I realised that I had to buy the Powepacks, using the app, and I bought everything offered until January then proceeded to be selective, only purchasing Powerpacks with a greater than 15% discount. I also decided that, as it is effectively monthly billing, I would provide weekly meter readings - a chore but it gets the bills correct.

My experience after 11 months is that I have paid less than the East Saver Promise and have saved around £700 on the tariff offered by Southern Electric. It did take me a couple of months to get into this new way of managing electricity - previously I did nothing but just pay!!!!

As my Easy Saver Promise runs out mid June, 2018 I contacted Powershop to be told that my tariff will not change after the anniversary of joining and I will get 42 days notice of an increase in my tariff.

I had also purchased multiple May Day packs and was told I could keep them without penalty.

So the moral of the story is that Powershop works for me because I am prepared to buy the discounted Powerpacks and I read my meter regularly. Do NOT join Powershop if you don't want to purchase powerpacks and are not prepared to provide meter readings.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    soberton wrote: »
    Do NOT join Powershop if you don't want to purchase powerpacks and are not prepared to provide meter readings.

This is absolutely correct. Many of the complaints have been from people who do not realise how Powershop works and what is expected of them.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was checking my Powershop account today and i think it maybe time to look at leaving.
    September's discount is 14.8% and October's is 14.8% so not that good.
    My unit rate is 13.5pence per kw so with the discount it's 11.502 per kw.
    My I joined in August last year and have been buying packs and have 12 weeks worth of credit.
    Does anybody know if you buy say £9.50 of discounted credit and it says it should cover say 9 days does the £9.50 just cover electric used or electric and daily rate used?
    Only reason why is when i buy packs i deduct the discount from the unit rate as above to see what the price is.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To see how much you have been charged per unit, per month, just log into your account and select the "Transactions" tab.

Scroll down to the bottom and click on the down arrow, to the right of "Electricity".
    This opens a table showing, at the bottom, the average price per unit for each month.

Mine has been as low as £0.0961 and as high as £0.1262 - it varies depending upon the discount of the Powerpacks used in each month.

My average since joining in October is £0.1053, which is currently below the £0.1084.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Refunds
    Has anyone any experience of requesting a refund?

I have some Powerpacks that I purchased at a low discount (less than 10%) and would like them refunded.

The refund policy https://www.powershop.co.uk/refunds-policy/ states:

"2.1 Any credit balances you build up in your Customer Account will be refunded at your request......".

I'm over £300 in credit and want to get a refund on the Powerpacks that I bought with less than 10% discount.

Also, I notice that the refunds policy also states:

"2.3 We will also run reports to check our customers' credit balances from time to time. We will call you to discuss any credit over £75 if you'd like a refund of that credit balance."

I have been in credit by over £100 for 7 of the 8 months that I have been with PS but have never been contacted by them.

Anyone been contacted by them on this matter?
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Boohoo wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you buy say £9.50 of discounted credit and it says it should cover say 9 days does the £9.50 just cover electric used or electric and daily rate used?
    Only reason why is when i buy packs i deduct the discount from the unit rate as above to see what the price is.

The discounted Powerpacks put credit on your account which is used to pay the whole bill. The best way to think of things is you are filling a credit 'pot' with discounted credit every time you purchase discounted Powerpacks. That 'pot' of discounted credit is used to pay your bill - power used and daily standing charge. So yes - the discount applies to power used AND daily standing charge.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January at 3:46PM
    Options
    Mick_Popka wrote: »
    To see how much you have been charged per unit, per month, just log into your account and select the "Transactions" tab.

Scroll down to the bottom and click on the down arrow, to the right of "Electricity".
    This opens a table showing, at the bottom, the average price per unit for each month.

Mine has been as low as £0.0961 and as high as £0.1262 - it varies depending upon the discount of the Powerpacks used in each month.

My average since joining in October is £0.1053, which is currently below the £0.1084.

I joined in August and my 1st month average unit cost was 13.93 pence which is higher than the 13.5 unit cost i should be charged.
    My April unit charge was 11.44 plus daily charge and May is 11.59 so is creeping up as higher priced discounts get used up.
    I was paying 10.50 inc VAT with NPower but Powershop was at the time a cheaper option if i bought the powerpacks.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just switched over today so have some time before I can see the powerpacks in the app.

As I am unable to do anything yet, am I right in thinking that I should just buy all the powerpacks that appear to get as much discount as possible and pre-load my account or should I be selective and only buy ones with the large discounts?
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At first buy all powerpacks so you build up a credit on your account.

Once you reach a decent amount of credit limit purchases to powerpacks over and above a certain discount level

It depends on your usage. I initially ran my credit up to over £200 by buying all powerpacks. Now I limit my purchases to packs with discounts over 20%. My credit has now reduced to £148.

Your goal is to ensure you cover your monthly cost with discounted powerpacks

Do not under purchase. If you do powershop will buy electricity for you to cover your usage at the expensive standard rate
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok, thanks.

So as a minimum you buy enough power packs to cover your estimated monthly cost (or a few months).

Then go for the ones with large (say 20%) discounts once you have some credit to keep it topped up.

Am happy to buy too many than too little.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback