Repossessed house

Hi how can I find out if a previous property I owned got repossessed? I went bankrupt due to my ex partner saying she would pay the mortgage but she never did and a year later I had to go bankrupt. I need to find out if it actually went down as a repossession??

Thanks

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you asked the lender?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi JamGeorge,

I would agree that asking the lender would be a good place to start. However, may I ask why you need to know this? Whether your ex handed back the keys or the bank took repossession through the courts wouldn't have any bearing on the situation from your perspective.

Because you went bankrupt your liability to any shortfall from this mortgage would be included in the bankruptcy as a contingent debt and your liability would be over.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Jamgeorge
    Jamgeorge Posts: 89 Forumite
    The lender was Northern Rock so don’t know where to start as they are not here anymore!

Want a mortgage in the next few months so I know it’s one of the questions that ask...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure