Redundancy and ESA or PIP

Hi, I am 60 and have worked all my life. latterly, I have struggled because of chronic ill health, defined as a disability. this week I have been told I am at risk of redundancy. I have been given a list of jobs I can select as a preference and then HR will go thro and either offer me a trial or not. Out of the list, there is really only one I can go for, it would mean alot of training and travel to another office to do so. because of my disability, I would find the travel near impossible on a regular basis, even once a week would cause me issues. my question is, if no further support is forthcoming, can I take redundancy and claim ESA or possibly one element of PIP? (as I have 2 LGPS pensions I can use, presently deferred)
I have never claimed benefits, I presume I would need to see my GP for a medical certificate saying I am unfit for work - but how soon after I have taken the redundancy? I expect my payment and pensions could stop me receiving any ESA or PIP. i have read alot online already but just feel further confused. any pointers would be very much appreciated. thank you

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 5:36PM
    Have a read of the information here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/

If you have been working it is likely that, if you qualify, you would get Contribution based ESA so capital and income would not be an issue.

PIP is not means tested.

May be worth popping into your local CAB or advice centre to talk this through. They should be able to help you with form filling etc too.
  • realshannon
    realshannon Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thank you, I will certainly look at the link. I have thought about CAB but our local office is often closed.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    thank you, I will certainly look at the link. I have thought about CAB but our local office is often closed.

You might be able to ring or email them instead.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Claiming PIP and ESA is not as simple as a doctors certificate. There is a whole process to go through that some find quite stressful. There are also some benefits that you can claim whilst working. This can all be very complicated.
    You should post this on the benefits board for more knowledgeable advice.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • realshannon
    realshannon Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thank you, I realise it is a big subject - will do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories