Final settlement on IVA advice needed

Hello,

Has anyone ever been successful with a full and final settlement on an IVA.

I have a chance of getting some money from a relation which will be about half of what is owed on my IVA. I have asked with regards to this been a final settlement. The IVA company have said we can put in a case for final settlement but they may just take it as a payment in the IVA

We do have a good case due my partner having a serious injury at work and him getting no income for the last 2 years and we have fully discussed this with the IVA company.

Has anyone ever experienced this please?

Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi,

Yes my IVA ended with a settlement.

However I was in year 6 at the time, my circumstances changed, and the payments were no longer affordable, I offered all payments to date as full and final settlement and it was accepted.

It depends on a lot of factors, how far through the arrangement you are, how much you have already paid, the likelihood of future payments, etc etc.

The creditors will always go for the best option for them, you have to show them that by accepting your offer, they will get the best return.

Make the offer in writing, on the clear understanding it can only be used to settle the IVA.

Don’t let the relative part with the cash until it’s all been agreed in writing, I can’t emphercise this enough.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes my IVA ended with a settlement.

However I was in year 6 at the time, my circumstances changed, and the payments were no longer affordable, I offered all payments to date as full and final settlement and it was accepted.

It depends on a lot of factors, how far through the arrangement you are, how much you have already paid, the likelihood of future payments, etc etc.

The creditors will always go for the best option for them, you have to show them that by accepting your offer, they will get the best return.

Make the offer in writing, on the clear understanding it can only be used to settle the IVA.

Don’t let the relative part with the cash until it’s all been agreed in writing, I can’t emphercise this enough.

Thank you for your advice, really appreciate it as I wouldnt have considered sending it in writing with those terms. My IVA provider gave me the impression I wasnt able to set those terms.

Thank you again
  • You are always able to set those terms, as I did. I'm just waiting for the certificate, which I've been advised, is any day now. I sent my full settlement the end of November 2017.
  • When you say 'getting money' what do you mean?

Is it a gift from the family member to help you pay your debts off or is it inheritance? This will affect how creditors will see it and whether it would likely be accept as F&F.
  • When you say 'getting money' what do you mean?

Is it a gift from the family member to help you pay your debts off or is it inheritance? This will affect how creditors will see it and whether it would likely be accept as F&F.
    Hello,
    Its a gift from a family member to pay off the IVA. If its not accepted as full payment it wont be gifted to us.
    I have written a letter explaining this and also explaining my partner had a serious eye injury at work and this year has been difficult keeping up with payments and he may need further operations so we cannot a wage from him.
    Fingers crossed it is accepted though im not hopeful
  • Does anyone have any further advise please:
    Has anyone ever finalised an IVA without going through their IVA provider or must you go through them?
    I have just spoke to my provider (payplan) and it seems so completed to submit a final settlement.
    They need the following (is this normal?)
    House valuation
    Mortgage redemption
    current income
    income and expenditure
    letter from parents (who are giving us the money for a settlement only)

Also apparently the minimum timescale for creditor meeting is 3 months?

They also state that the creditors may push us to bankruptcy instead of settling?
    I thought this would be a way out of all this but I am beginning to think it makes matters more complcated

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family