Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Think we need clarification on the white powder we're talking about here. :eek:

One gets the impression that KC was a bit of a wild child in her youth :rotfl:
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Had a busy but enjoyable day today. Son dragged me out of the house after dinner this evening for a long walk so up to 15,000 steps today. :)

Managed to have a meat free lunch and another planned for tomorrow. As I'm sure I've mentioned before I'm not sure the amount of meat which seems to be present in a modern diet is particularly good for us, so I'm pleased to have cut it down from December.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    15,000 is very good - I'm just shy of 17,000 - but am jogging again :j

I completely agree re. meat. I made the mistake, however, of going on a Zero Waste forum on Reddit to discuss this today and was buttonholed by a militant vegan (it sounds like a Monty Python sketch)!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    I have to come in on the sugar thing. I was pleased to hear you speak of Tate and Lyle sugar Alex, as it is all refined from pure sugar can, whereas Silver Spoon is made from Sugar Beet (the turnip-looking things that look a bit like old spinach in the fields before they are harvested. I have a strong feeling (not supported by empirical evidence), that our bodies do better metabolising cane sugar in smaller amounts. I really feel there is a difference. I live quite close to the sugar beet factory in Suffolk - it leaves a sickly smell that you can almost taste as you go past
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    15,000 is very good - I'm just shy of 17,000 - but am jogging again :j

I completely agree re. meat. I made the mistake, however, of going on a Zero Waste forum on Reddit to discuss this today and was buttonholed by a militant vegan (it sounds like a Monty Python sketch)!

I seem to have lost all stamina for running. Suppose that's what happens when you don't get any real exercise. :o

:rotfl: Re. the militant vegan. Presumably Zero Waste relates to not throwing food away rather than anything to do with veganism?
    I have to come in on the sugar thing. I was pleased to hear you speak of Tate and Lyle sugar Alex, as it is all refined from pure sugar can, whereas Silver Spoon is made from Sugar Beet (the turnip-looking things that look a bit like old spinach in the fields before they are harvested. I have a strong feeling (not supported by empirical evidence), that our bodies do better metabolising cane sugar in smaller amounts. I really feel there is a difference. I live quite close to the sugar beet factory in Suffolk - it leaves a sickly smell that you can almost taste as you go past

Learn something new everyday, thanks SL. :)

I think little sugar was consumed today again and do feel a bit better for it.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Had a busy but enjoyable day today. Son dragged me out of the house after dinner this evening for a long walk so up to 15,000 steps today. :)

Managed to have a meat free lunch and another planned for tomorrow. As I'm sure I've mentioned before I'm not sure the amount of meat which seems to be present in a modern diet is particularly good for us, so I'm pleased to have cut it down from December.

Its not too late to join in with Veganuary Alex, I bet you'd be pleasantly surprised!

https://veganuary.com/
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Have bookmarked RS, thank you. :)

Need to go to bed now.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Have bookmarked RS, thank you. :)

Need to go to bed now.

Me too, had a late finish and always takes me ages to unwind!
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Managed to somehow go to bed and get straight to sleep. :) Had a good day today and a very enjoyable evening meal. Another meat free day ticked off. Completely failed with steps though with 7,500, one of the lowest counts I've seen on my 'phone.

Had a look on the veganuary website, RS. Like the look of the one-pot linguine and will try it next week. Thank you. :) A lot of the meals on there look very easy to prep and cook too.

Not been spending a lot so far this month. Quite a few NSDs as Mrs. K., son and I are all having the same lunch. Mrs. K. seems to only buy a coffee once per week which is saving money too. Don't mind that as she doesn't tend to have coffee at home anymore.

Unfortunately nothing financial to report apart from freeing ourselves of December's very large CC bill. :o I decided to pay it well before the due date because seeing the balance on my 'phone wasn't a pleasant experience (Mrs. K. thinks I'm crazy as the full balance is usually collected by direct debit at the end of the month :rotfl:). This reminds me I need to update the spreadsheet. The CC is not a debt as such as we don't let it accrue any interest and by buying our everyday goods with it I find it easier to keep track of what we're spending. Before with cash and debit card we found it was easy for the spending to get lost. The bill for the CC comes once per month and we just have to work out what is food, petrol, eating out etc. Lazy but it seems to be working quite well.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's exactly how I use my credit card, Alex - and it gives me a few nectar points as well :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport