Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

UK State Pension.

2»

Comments

• Daniel54
    Daniel54 Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hyubh wrote: »
    Hmm, bit harsh. If the OP hadn't maxed out his possible SERPS+S2P at the point contracting-out ceased, then he has lost out, albeit not for the reason he thought.

Not really.If his starting amount as at 6.4.16 were less than the NSP then contributions from 16/17 onwards would increase his state pension amount ( or he could buy those post 2016 years at an attractive rate ).
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If his starting amount as at 6.4.16 were less than the NSP

It wasn't - even in 2012 his state pension under the old rules had reached £168.70 which was more than the NSP at inception in April 2016 (£155.65).

If were continuing to work and pay NI to his SPA and NSP had not been introduced, then his BSP would be increasing by triple lock and he would have been accruing some S2P.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    Daniel54 wrote: »
    Not really.If his starting amount as at 6.4.16 were less than the NSP then contributions from 16/17 onwards would increase his state pension amount ( or he could buy those post 2016 years at an attractive rate ).

As xylophone says, it wasn't. However even if it were, then his prospective state pension rights would have become capped to the single tier amount, which (by design) is less than the old BSP+S2P for a strong majority of workers who were only ever going to be in contracted-in employment anyway.
  • I do not need to read the white paper which is written by the Government for the Government without any consultation with all the people who contributed to their state pension.

It is called a democracy.

However if you would take the time to read you will find that the majority of people in our country fall in to 3 categories:-
    Receiving Benefits- such as Alcoholics who receive £ 80.00 per week to buy their alcohol so they do not steal.
    People out of work who know how to obtain all the benefits.
    Old Age Pensioners who through no fault of theirs are unable to decipher the truth from lies.

During the debate to leave the EU a labour party MP stated that if the majority voted to leave then they would increase the benefits for all the people who in their opinion needed support using the money we contributed to pay for it. BINGO the majority as outlined above voted to leave.

The Labour MP was asked the following day would this be in their manifesto. The MP stated that they had not quite got their numbers right but they would increase some benefits. The MP was asked did he lie then? However due to Parliamentary Privilege he did not have to answer.

All of the above is correct but I doubt you will have the character to accept that you are wrong not me.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2018 at 11:33PM
    I do not need to read the white paper which is written by the Government for the Government without any consultation with all the people who contributed to their state pension.

It is called a democracy.

However if you would take the time to read you will find that the majority of people in our country fall in to 3 categories:-
    Receiving Benefits- such as Alcoholics who receive £ 80.00 per week to buy their alcohol so they do not steal.
    People out of work who know how to obtain all the benefits.
    Old Age Pensioners who through no fault of theirs are unable to decipher the truth from lies.

During the debate to leave the EU a labour party MP stated that if the majority voted to leave then they would increase the benefits for all the people who in their opinion needed support using the money we contributed to pay for it. BINGO the majority as outlined above voted to leave.

The Labour MP was asked the following day would this be in their manifesto. The MP stated that they had not quite got their numbers right but they would increase some benefits. The MP was asked did he lie then? However due to Parliamentary Privilege he did not have to answer.

All of the above is correct but I doubt you will have the character to accept that you are wrong not me.

I'm feeling a bit dizzy by the ride ;) Not reading government policy papers is the key to democracy, and as such, working-age benefit claimants are the devil but pensioner claimants are saintly, ripped-off figures. Even though the people rightly didn't read government policy papers during the Brexit referendum, things went off course when an unnamed MP for a Remainer party made a dubious argument in favour of Leave, which voters bought en masse. All in all, this sorry situation means you personally deserve a state pension above what you were going to get...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure