Freeserve to close email service from May

Options

Comments

• emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    The auto-reply will stop as soon as the service is withdrawn.

Best thing to do is turn on IMAP in the freeserve account, and pull everything into the new goggle account.

As you update each website with the new address you can search for the website in the emails and tag it as "changed" or something like that.

So as Gmail picks up emails from the old email account, you can quickly see what sites need to be updated or ignored.

As far as I'm aware Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve has never supported IMAP for it's email.
    That's been one of the annoyances, having to use POP3 for that address.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2017 at 10:52AM
    Options
    It does support IMAP. <-- nope D'oh!!

That's how I've been pulling emails from freeserve.account to my.gmail. <-- nope been getting it via pop3

Double check the settings <-- and get some sleep!!!

...i think.... <-- i didn't
    **EDIT**

D'oh should no try and think when it's nearly 2am!!

yup its pop3 only
    lol
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got my email from Orange yesterday, advising that the service will close at the end of May.

They are recommending Gmail as an alternative and have even included a link to a tutorial they have written:-

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_E_Orange_email_closure_infomremail_textlink-2017-01-11
  • emptybox
    Options
    I've changed all my emails addresses now, although I still haven't had an email from EE informing me of the need to change.
    I'll monitor the Orange address just to check if I've missed anybody.

However a couple of places are still sending me emails on the old address, even after I've expunged it from my account. :naughty:

One of those is my power supplier, which sent me an email about the forthcoming price rises which included personal info about my electricity usage.
    The old address must be lodged in their database even though I've checked that I can log in with the new address, and it's in my account info.

I suppose an old fashioned telephone call may be required to get them to change? :( :doh:
  • paulstar
    paulstar Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »
    ... I still haven't had an email from EE informing me of the need to change.

I've just had an email from EE to one of my addresses notifying the email closure (I have several Freeserve etc email addresses - the first was set up in 1998). Looks like they are phasing the sending of notifications. EE have confirmed (on the EE Community forum) that they will be emailing all Freeserve etc email addresses regardless of whether you're an EE customer.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interested to read this thread for nostalgic reasons. I had dial-up freeserve internet access from my first home computer (a Tiny that cost much more than computers cost today). I remember considering buying shares when they floated on the French stock market, but decided against it when I read their financial forecasts.

I then moved to ntl dial-up, until I got BT broadband in 2006. I still recall the dial-up sound.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I already have a gmail account to move my fsmail.net account to trouble is I don't find gmail anywhere near as useful as the old fsmail.net account.

Is there any other free email provider that offers a similar page layout to fsmail.net, where all your inbox emails, folders, contacts list, junk/draft/delete etc. can be seen at a glance on one page for easy access please?

Suggestions very gratefully received.
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can anyone get into their Orange email today? I've been trying all day - just get an "Oops. Sorry !!" message
  • emptybox
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    Can anyone get into their Orange email today? I've been trying all day - just get an "Oops. Sorry !!" message

I've been having trouble for the last two days.
    My Android Mail app won't connect at all.
    I tried Thunderbird on a Linux box and it also has trouble fetching any Orange mail, although it has occasional success.

Perhaps they are already starting to shut the servers down?
    Or perhaps they've got so many people trying to migrate their messages to Gmail that it's stopping the system working properly?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »
    Or perhaps they've got so many people trying to migrate their messages to Gmail that it's stopping the system working properly?

That seems like a reasonable possibility to me. They're unlikely to invest in infrastructure to help people with such activities, so the servers may well be struggling.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure