Medical incident at work - New Suit ruined - Whose responsible?

On Monday of this week I was in a meeting at work with about 20 or so colleagues. One of them had only just joined the company and was staying over in Manchester (head office) as he was based in the London office.

Unfortunately during the meeting this colleague had an epileptic fit, falling off his chair and banging his head. Our office first aider was on in the room in seconds, and asked for coats / jackets to be placed under his head to prevent him from injuring himself further. As my suit jacket was on top, it ended up being covered in blood.

Later that day I took the jacket to Timpsons to be dry cleaned, however they refused to take it as the blood hadn't fully dried, so returned it again on Wednesday. Yesterday I picked it up to find that most of the blood / saliva was still on the suit. Timpsons have offered to re-clean the jacket, however say that there's no guarantee it will come out.

I wasn't to bothered about the cost of cleaning the suit - A couple of pound is nothing compared to the guy having a fit and injuring himself, however I am a little bit more concerened if the jacket is ruined, seeing though it cost almost £200 only 3 months ago.

My question is, if the jacket / suit is ruined, who's responsible for replacing it? I don't want to come across as cold hearted, however I also don't want to be massively out of pocket.

Is it

My employer - They specify that you must wear a suit to work. The culture dictates that this is a nice suit and the phrase "look like your going to a weddingicon is often banded about. It was my work's first aider who placed the jackets under my colleagues head, as well as the presentation video (put together by the marketing team) without no warning of flashing lights which seemed to set his fit off.

My colleague - He was staying at head office for a week and didn't bring his epilepsy medication. He knew that he was prone to fits (as he said the following day) but didn't speak up when told we were going to watch some videos on the projector.

Me - That's life. Things happen beyond our control and I have to live with it.

As I say, I don't want to come across as harsh. I'm not particularly fussed paying £10 to have the jacket cleaned. I just don't want to be £200 out of pocket (more if the suit is no longer sold as the trousers would be useless without a jacket) when it wasn't my fault.

I'm going to wait until I get the jacket back from the cleaners for the second time before raising the issue with work.

Also, if you were in this position (had your clothing ruined) or my colleagues position regarding the ruining of someones suit what would you do?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Comments

• Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    That's life. Things happen beyond our control and I have to live with it.

I think that is the tack I would take. I doubt the issue is as simple as the person concerned "didn't bring his meds" or "didn't speak up when the PP went on" Epilepsy is, or can be, quite an uncertain condition and the triggers are varied. I suspect he was very embarrssed by what had happened but it is a medical condition and so, unpredictable. Nor was it his fault that the first aider asked for jackets....
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    a suit jacket can be washing in the washing machine, probably does it less harm than dry cleaning chemicals. What have you got to loose? A guy I worked with years ago used to wash all his suit jackets in domestic WM, he had previously worked at a dry cleaners and wouldn't use them!
  • That's life. Things happen beyond our control and I have to live with it.

I think that is the tack I would take. I doubt the issue is as simple as the person concerned "didn't bring his meds" or "didn't speak up when the PP went on" Epilepsy is, or can be, quite an uncertain condition and the triggers are varied. I suspect he was very embarrssed by what had happened but it is a medical condition and so, unpredictable. Nor was it his fault that the first aider asked for jackets....
    But it was his fault that he didn't take all the neccersary precautions!

I'd be asking the person that had the fit to buy a new jacket.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd just be glad the guy was okay.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    But it was his fault that he didn't take all the neccersary precautions!

I'd be asking the person that had the fit to buy a new jacket.

I'd personally write it off - it's annoying but it's just one of those things, precautions weren't taken, apparently meds weren't taken correctly but given that someone was seemingly quite badly hurt I don't think it's worth the 'bad feeling' that it would create around the office if the OP pursues the poor guy for a jacket. I think it would make the OP come over as a bit heartless and that probably wouldn't do his reputation much good.
  • (A true story)

Many years ago, having cycled to work, I parked my bicycle in the cycle sheds. Someone jumped off the building roof and went through the cycle shed roof, landing on my bike and buckling the wheel plus other damage. The company offered recompense for the damage without asking.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    I wouldn't suggest the washing machine unless the dry cleaning really doesn't work. £200 you should be looking at wool, which can stain and shrink where a cheaper jacket may be synthetic and ok.

Is your line manger sympathetic? Or HR? Maybe they'd consider a contribution? Or you start wearing a boiler suit to meetings ;-)
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I certainly wouldn't ask the colleague to pay for the jacket. You could though ask either your line manager or HR whether the company will reimburse you for the suit. I'd do this in "I hate to ask, and I'm glad my colleague was OK" way though, and if the answer is no, you'll have to take it on the chin I think or destroy your reputation at work.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I would ask the company as asking the person who had the fit would just be silly as they did not choose to damage the jacket. I had a bike stolen from my workplace (locked company bike shed) and my employer replaced it without question.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'd start turning up to work with no jacket, and if your boss asks why, explain...

If it is ruined anyway, look up some "getting rid of blood" hints and bung it in the washing machine!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure