Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mick1989
    • By Mick1989 12th Nov 19, 12:47 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mick1989
    Wonga claims
    • 12th Nov 19, 12:47 PM
    Wonga claims 12th Nov 19 at 12:47 PM
    Hi
    I have received an email from Wonga to confirm that 147 of my loans from years past will now be removed from my credit file in the coming months, is this likely to increase my credit report worthiness and the score ( even if the latter is useless) ?

Side note which might be for another thread- how much of the claim amount do you guy's expect claimants to receive - i.e around 10% or worse?

Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Nov 19, 12:54 PM
    • 24,376 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Nov 19, 12:54 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 12:54 PM
    Having fewer PDLs in your file will always be a good thing, even though the score may drop.
    • m-holland
    • By m-holland 12th Nov 19, 2:39 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    m-holland
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:39 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:39 PM
    Is 147 a typo?
    • troubleonline
    • By troubleonline 12th Nov 19, 2:46 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    troubleonline
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:46 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:46 PM
    Is 147 a typo?
    Originally posted by m-holland
    I don't really know about this but am guessing it is pay day loan provider and the OP has taken out 147 short term loans maybe even just for a few days each time. I can imagine it can be hard to get back on track once you've taken a few given you lose money on interest every time and effectively lengthen the gap between paydays.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Nov 19, 11:11 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 3,000 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:11 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:11 PM
    I took out a Wonga loan in 2011 and only paid a small part of it back. A few years ago I got a letter saying that I shouldn't have been given a loan so they wrote the rest of the balance off and removed themselves from my credit file.

Fast forward to recently, I tried to make a claim for a refund of what I did pay only to be knocked back.

How can they claim that I was miss sold it a few years ago and writing it off, to now saying that I'm not entitled to a refund!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Nov 19, 11:20 PM
    • 18,762 Posts
    • 17,673 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:20 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:20 PM
    I took out a Wonga loan in 2011 and only paid a small part of it back. A few years ago I got a letter saying that I shouldn't have been given a loan so they wrote the rest of the balance off and removed themselves from my credit file.

Fast forward to recently, I tried to make a claim for a refund of what I did pay only to be knocked back.

How can they claim that I was miss sold it a few years ago and writing it off, to now saying that I'm not entitled to a refund!
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Because the limitations act kicks in @6 years, thatís most likely why.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Nov 19, 11:23 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 3,000 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:23 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:23 PM
    Because the limitations act kicks in @6 years, thatís most likely why.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    They wrote the balance off and removed their credit file entry long before the 6 years was up.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 16th Nov 19, 11:27 PM
    • 2,905 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:27 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:27 PM
    They wrote the balance off and removed their credit file entry long before the 6 years was up.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Which is likely to be a win. You won't get free money from them, if that's what you're expecting. At best you'll get the interest and fees back. You're still expected to pay back the capital.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Nov 19, 11:33 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 3,000 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:33 PM
    • 16th Nov 19, 11:33 PM
    Which is likely to be a win. You won't get free money from them, if that's what you're expecting. At best you'll get the interest and fees back. You're still expected to pay back the capital.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    I can't remember how much I paid back but it was probably at least equal to the capital of the loan.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Nov 19, 11:39 PM
    • 18,762 Posts
    • 17,673 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Oh, and Wonga are currently in administration, so although further complaints can be entertained, the criteria has been simplified, anyone who has already had any Loans written off, will be an automatic decline.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 16-11-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

7,484Users online

Martin's Twitter