Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Nov 19, 7:13 AM
    • 834Posts
    • 12,383Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 11/11/19?
    • 11th Nov 19, 7:13 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 11/11/19? 11th Nov 19 at 7:13 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Page 2
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 12th Nov 19, 10:37 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    twiggy86
    Morning all!

Today I have/will:
    * Do washing up
    * Check banks
    * Make lunch to take to work
    * Park for free a mile or so from town and walk to work
    * Check OP/PA
    * Update spreadsheet
    * Dinner from stores
    * Put final touches on crochet project
    * Visit friend to give her daughter crochet bunny
    * Dinner from stores
    * Maybe a NSD!

Hope you all have a good day!
    Starting again.. LMB 31.7.19 Starting total: 13,418.33 Current total: 11,344.90
    One and half debts down, four more to go!
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Nov 19, 10:48 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 12,383 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning again..

2nd list
    wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash
    sort kitchen out, wipe round with star drops and washable cloths
    make families lunches for tomorrow
    take a drink and snack with us for boyo's hospital appointment this afternoon
    kids having leftover chicken curry, with naan bread for tea
    need to make a bolognaise chilli for me and dh to have on jacket spuds for our meal
    put dry washing away and radiator shuffle the rest
    check banking and update cashbook
    rm correctly survey
    rm unadd survey
    make a soup if I get chance too - no my back is feeling sore after gym and cooking so far so will leave this for tomorrow instead
    wrapped the 5 gifts in my parents hamper and ds1s hoodie all in re-used paper - none of them will mind!
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 12-11-2019 at 5:36 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 12th Nov 19, 11:06 AM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 8,856 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. Phone garage later to see if car has passed MOT and if I can have it back.
    3. Walked up local shop to get cat food but they didn't have any so I phoned my mother to get some in B&M. Spoilt cat will only eat Gourmet Perle
    4. Surveys
    5. Meals from stores
    6. Find film to watch on netflix and wrap up in blanket
    Post Office 0Capital One 0Tesco 1400As of 15/11/19
    One debt to go
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 12th Nov 19, 11:08 AM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 8,856 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Morning all
    Today's things:
    Leftover pineapple with breakfast porridge and yogurt - sounds a bit odd but was actually quite nice
    I have 3 ebay parcels to post. I will walk into town again for free exercise. First I need to print out paperwork for the Post Office, which I shall do when OH takes the dog for a walk as he barks frantically at the printer - the dog, not OH!
    I need to sort out the fridge which I didn't get to yesterday. Although some things got used up, fish cakes still need making, and crumbly cheese that has been frozen needs grating so that it is easier to use.
    The bathroom floor needs cleaning - again I chose black and white tiles, as the traditional look seemed to suit the age of the house. But between them, they show every speck of dust and drop of water!
    Lunch will be carrot and coriander soup made with the last of the HG carrots, and dinner will be cold chicken, jacket potatoes and whatever salad bits are left.
    Hopefully there will be more - I felt a bit down yesterday, hope I perk up today and get some stuff done!
    Originally posted by DawnW

My cat likes to sit on top of my printer and attack the paper coming out
    Post Office 0Capital One 0Tesco 1400As of 15/11/19
    One debt to go
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Nov 19, 11:51 AM
    • 7,444 Posts
    • 44,618 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning - just Have had a flurry of energy this morning so have managed to get a few bits done - tided up kitchen, sorted finances out, got xmas gifts out of loft and have wrapped most up.

Still to do:

* TOMM
    * make butternut squash bake thing for tea
    * make cheesy oatcakes while oven is on - thanks for the inspiration foxgloves
    * take dog for walk in a minute
    * cut out some fabric today - haven't been able to find the motivation since returning from holiday
    * pamper session with madam this evening
    * watch a film/read book later
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Nov 19, 1:02 PM
    • 5,226 Posts
    • 46,843 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    Can't believe it's already Tuesday lunchtime... where is this week going? Welcome back CLF - pleased you are finally on the mend, and BB pleased you are also on the up now as well. Lots of love to everyone.
    I would love to say that today will be a nsd, but unfortunately ds needs ketchup rather urgently so we will have to go somewhere on the way home tonight.
    Other than that, this time of year is about me ignoring my urges to hibernate and just survive.
    I will be finding something from the fridge for dinner (possibly a casserole or soup) - depending on whatever dd has made at school in her food tech today. I have lots of carrots and leeks needing used.
    I will be continuing my desperate attempts to finish all my crochet works in progress before Christmas (never going to happen but it is at least good fun trying).
    The fight against cat fleas goes on so I will need to hoover through again tonight once dd has combed them all and cleaned them up.
    My Christmas shopping is just about done but I really need to make a start on wrapping stuff up now and making lists and organising - may be a weekend job.
    NST December #2 NSD = 4
    I am honestly trying my best
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Nov 19, 6:30 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 17,886 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Evening all!

Argh the dreaded "phone post". Can't type for toffee.

We are a man down here. But it's OH this time. Luckily he took ill after doing the housework as we were badly behind (hadn't hoovered for 3 weeks!). It's wild and windy here. A tree came down just across the road last night. Luckily it missed all the cars and houses.

Today I have:
    BLD from stores
    Got a lift home from work
    My colleague took a load of plant pots I didn't need
    NSD
    Heating mosty off
    Finished a knitted sock. First time doing colour changes and I'm not happy with it as you can see where I've overknitted the ends. Any tips?
    Currently trying to work on a baby blanket that got shelved.

Have a good one all
    Clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019

SAVINGS: 9000
    Car final lump sum: 1500/6113
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Nov 19, 6:42 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 12,383 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Clf, That was lucky that there wasn't any damage! Hope your OH is on the mend soon.
    CCL, ooo what did your dd make in school?
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Nov 19, 6:44 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 12,383 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Hi all, I’m going to try a different list for tomorrow to see if it helps me be more productive!
    Tomorrows to do list

Priority
    1 - Go to the gym - gym buddy won’t be there BUT I need to get back to losing weight as a priority done
    2 - Go to lldl, to use the 2nd 10 off a 40 shop voucher that my mum got me (priority as its last day to use it ) - list is ready with lots of store cupboard items on. done
    3 - Must remember to do correctly del survey done

Kitchen
    Ran the dishwasher on the quick wash and emptied
    Washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash

Make butternut/coconut milk/chilli soup again as the whole family loved it. cooking now plus a leek and potato soup as I got some chicken stock I made the other day to use up
    Cook two chickens at the same time to make the most of the oven cooking now
    Make lunch box treats either Welsh Cakes or Melting moments made 30 choc chip cookies and a use it up banana/fruit loaf - neither recipe has been tried before but its to use up a can of condensed milk
    Make families lunches for tomorrow done

Getting organised
    Iron just what needs doing, mainly dh’s work shirts (back to jumper season now so I won’t bother ironing tshirts)
    Re-hem ds1s school trousers whilst the iron is out
    Wrap some more xmas gifts - little and often. done
    Sort out my bookshelf in the kitchen as its become a dumping ground. done
    Sort email inboxes and unsubscribe from what I can. done
    Booked dh's car in for service - which means he will definitely get to wfh on Friday
    Booked my dentist check up using their app rather then a phone call (so much better as their hold music is the worst I've come across!
    Renewed energy deal after checking with mse, also going to be paying 7 less a month for it - it was hard work changing to this supplier a few years ago, various problems but since then the renewals have always been competitive, I wish the same could be said about cars insurances etc!

This week I’d also like to

Touch up paint in the spare room - after dh chucked a mug of coffee over it months ago!
    Take books back to the library as I don’t think we’ll be able to get there at the weekend as normal
    Take a bag of stuff to the charity shop
    Take a bag to the fabric recycling box in Mr T
    Do some surveys
    General decluttering/tidying
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-11-2019 at 5:21 PM.
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 12th Nov 19, 7:39 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Looking like a near NSD day but might need to get some milk, or I might just get it in the morning :-).
    Why is my gas/heating usage higher in October, was it colder than last year, I don't remember.
    Happy Tuesday.

Didn't manage NSD spent 4 at C00p and got love carrots for my hummus, yoghurt for for my yoghurt w honey post swimming snack and milk for the lanky one. So anyways will try again today as will not count planned dentist visit.
    Last edited by ditty1234; 13-11-2019 at 9:08 AM.
    LBM Jan 2019 - 25.928/-24.260 6% paid off - EF 1.08 Dec 2019
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 13th Nov 19, 9:24 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 23,330 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Absolutely freezing here today. Heating will have to go on for a bit, I think.

Banking has been checked,
    Post birthday card for lovely cousin
    Freeze remainder of bolognese sauce
    Phone hairdresser to make an appointment
    Sort out medication. Needs to go into the daily thingy
    Take something out of freezer for my lunch and dinner
    Himself has a hospital appointment and is then meeting friends so I'm going to attack the spare room and dispose of what I can whilst he's not here. Bins are collected tomorrow so I should accomplish it without him finding out.
    That should take most of the morning so I'm going to spend the afternoon watching a film and maybe addressing some C cards whilst I do so.

One more cup of coffee and then I'll get started.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Nov 19, 9:45 AM
    • 5,870 Posts
    • 46,787 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Today's list:
    Wash hair with everasting shampoo bar and leave to dry naturally (Done)
    Finish off some fruit that was lurking in the fridge for breakfast, doing quite well at fridge clearing! (Done)
    Other than that, I will hopefully finish the gardening project I started yesterday Done, took a few paving slabs up in an odd corner between a small raised bed and where 2 paths intersected, dug it over, and converted it into a small herb bed. Used plants I already had, which had outgrown their pots. Nothing spent I have offered the half dozen concrete slabs on freecycle.
    And experiment with the idea of an orange drizzle cake - I will use the recipe for lemon drizzle and reduce the sugar I think (though I usually reduce the sugar in cake recipes - love cake, but not overly sweet ones) Done, nice but I think I will cut down the sugar a bit more if I make it again (which I may well do on occasions when there is a lurking orange!)
    Pack a coat that I have sold on ebay, nice coat, way too posh for my lifestyle now Not yet, cleaned bathroom instead. Will do it tomorrow morning.
    Dinner will be the fishcakes I made yesterday With chilli jam, yum!

And see where I get to after that!
    Last edited by DawnW; 13-11-2019 at 7:51 PM.

• taplady
    • By taplady 13th Nov 19, 9:56 AM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 73,641 Thanks
    taplady
    Good morning

plans for today are

make/eat porridge and frozen fruit for breakfast

pack up a painting I have sold ready to post

hang the laundry on the airer

go to The Range to buy some small picture frames ready to frame some paintings to go in a posh new cafe that is opening this weekend

do some surveys

follow menu planner and start making list for the shopping

tonight we are going out to a footie match - special offer tickets at a fiver each! OH bought them.

return some work boots we bought DS as they appear to have given us 2 right feet!

Have a fab day all
    Do what you love
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Nov 19, 10:04 AM
    • 7,444 Posts
    • 44,618 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys I feel a little better today. Hoping this is going to be the start of getting better...

oh has been away for a few days and gets back this evening. Be nice to see him

need to take dog for walk

washing in machine & double spin

leftovers for dinner. Have a couple of meals of los so will be a patchwork meal!

need to iron some fabric so doing all ironing

TOMM

did a job search. Just dipping my toes at the moment....

make madam's pack lunch for tomorrow

think will bake a cake and make oat cakes

read newsletter
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 13th Nov 19, 10:28 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    twiggy86
    Morning all!

Today I have/will:
    * Do washing up
    * Check banks
    * Make lunch to take to work
    * Park for free a mile or so from town and walk to work
    * Check OP/PA
    * Cashout on PA (9.43)
    * Make CC overpayment
    * Update spreadsheet
    * Go to gym at lunch
    * Make meal plan
    * Make shopping list
    * Shop to list and use lidl voucher
    * Dinner from stores

Hope you all have a good day!
    Starting again.. LMB 31.7.19 Starting total: 13,418.33 Current total: 11,344.90
    One and half debts down, four more to go!
    • OnlyPariah
    • By OnlyPariah 13th Nov 19, 11:13 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    OnlyPariah
    I've completed some more surverys on Toluna. I think I'm up to 12,000 points now. I do seem to keep being told I'm not what they're looking for though so probably missing out on loads of points there.

Sausage and Egg sarnie for dinner last night. My partner went to bed for a few hours to get some kip before starting her night shift and that was what I can find to cook myself. We had planned to do stir fry for both of us but she didn't feel up to it and wanted to get some kip.

Checked into the app Emma and all is looking well. Waiting for my partners pay day on Friday when she will transfer more money across and things should look even better.

I really wish I'd started properly budgeting when I was younger. I'm going to be teaching my kids for sure.
    Tesco 7647.88 7,488.96 Asda 2,552 2,400 Virgin 4,204.95 4,204.95
    Halifax 2,853 2,796.64 Barclaycard 7,866.32 7,866.32 Wedding 250 EF 250
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Nov 19, 11:42 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 12,383 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Oh OnlyPariah.... I really want a sausage and egg sarnie now!! Re: teaching kids, my two love to find a bargain, they check online for prices for different shops, they look in cex for 2nd hand games rather then buy new (most of the time!) I still need to remind them to check the prices in the supermarket when comparing different size products by getting them to look at the /kg etc but they know most of my tricks now!
    Dnms Glad to hear you're feeling more like yourself this morning
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Nov 19, 4:47 PM
    • 5,532 Posts
    • 33,954 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Nice to catch up with what you've all been up too. DNMS & CLF, it sounds as though you are both back in the game. Good to hear you are starting to feel better.
    CCL - I smiled over the 'No ketchup' crisis. I thought 'No way would I call in just to pick up ketchup no matter how desperate anyone was'..........before remembering an occasion when I realised very late one night I'd GOT NO MARMITE for my breakfast toast the next day! Got in the car, hurled it the mile to the nearest supermarket that opened till 10pm, screeched to a halt practically in the doorway & just managed to get a jar by the skin of my teeth before they closed! So I take back my smug thought! I did exactly the same as your son, only with a different product!
    1LL - I agree about looking in CEX. Mr F has found blu-rays in there which are on his wish list for a fraction of the price & usually they look like they've barely been played. He's a ig film fan so he muct have saved a small fortune over the years by keeping an eye on their stock.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 227
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Nov 19, 7:12 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 12,383 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Priority
    1 - Go to the gym - gym buddy wont be there BUT I need to get back to losing weight as a priority done
    2 - Go to lldl, to use the 2nd 10 off a 40 shop voucher that my mum got me (priority as its last day to use it ) - list is ready with lots of store cupboard items on. done
    3 - Must remember to do correctly del survey done

Kitchen
    Ran the dishwasher on the quick wash and emptied
    Washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash

Make butternut/coconut milk/chilli soup again as the whole family loved it. cooking now plus a leek and potato soup as I got some chicken stock I made the other day to use up
    Cook two chickens at the same time to make the most of the oven cooking now
    Make lunch box treats either Welsh Cakes or Melting moments made 30 choc chip cookies and a use it up banana/fruit loaf - neither recipe has been tried before but its to use up a can of condensed milk
    Make families lunches for tomorrow done

Getting organised
    Iron just what needs doing, mainly dhs work shirts (back to jumper season now so I wont bother ironing tshirts)
    Re-hem ds1s school trousers whilst the iron is out
    Wrap some more xmas gifts - little and often. done
    Sort out my bookshelf in the kitchen as its become a dumping ground. done
    Sort email inboxes and unsubscribe from what I can. done
    Booked dh's car in for service - which means he will definitely get to wfh on Friday
    Booked my dentist check up using their app rather then a phone call (so much better as their hold music is the worst I've come across!
    Renewed energy deal after checking with mse, also going to be paying 7 less a month for it - it was hard work changing to this supplier a few years ago, various problems but since then the renewals have always been competitive, I wish the same could be said about cars insurances etc!

This week Id also like to

Touch up paint in the spare room - after dh chucked a mug of coffee over it months ago!
    Take books back to the library as I dont think well be able to get there at the weekend as normal
    Take a bag of stuff to the charity shop
    Take a bag to the fabric recycling box in Mr T
    Do some surveys
    General decluttering/tidying
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Didn't get round to the ironing/hemming decluttering etc but spent most of the day in the kitchen.
    Made
    Leek & potato soup
    Butternut squash, chili and coconut soup
    Choc chip cookies to use some condensed milk from use up box
    A fruit/banana type tea loaf as the recipe used condensed milk and I wanted to finish the can! It should have had two bananas in it but I only had one small one so I added in a big spoonful of the berries I'd stewed yesterday. It looks lovely with a row of walnuts on the top but I've not cut into it yet!! Its one of my "never to be made again concoctions"! (anyone remember the "pickled onion stew"?? )
    Made my first ever risotto - the risotto rice again bought more then a year ago and never used! Was online looking for a recipe to use some evaporated milk in (again from use up box) and found a risotto recipe, it was a mushroom risotto but I've also added in some cooked chicken and peas - oh my... the kids just had a taste and the youngest said could he have that tomorrow morning for his breakfast instead of porridge!

Tomorrow I need to focus on clearing the washing/ironing as dh will be in that room on Friday wfh and currently wouldn't be able to get in there!

Foxgloves, the bluerays in there have saved us a fortune on new. Dh wanted all the Marvel films so we sold some old tech to cex and bought the films - win win

Take care all
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-11-2019 at 8:32 PM.
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 13th Nov 19, 9:30 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    ditty1234
    At home today, did a drawing - it's an ugly thing, made some soup
    Butternut squash, chili and coconut soup
    inspired by 1LL from back of fridge, checked banking, didn't really tidy up, kind of the opposite, went to the dentist - all good news, ignored laundry, found some deals online, but am not buying anything today so BINGO - NSD.

I really needed this day.
    LBM Jan 2019 - 25.928/-24.260 6% paid off - EF 1.08 Dec 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,003Posts Today

6,411Users online

Martin's Twitter