Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 6th Nov 19, 3:30 PM
    • 562Posts
    • 79Thanks
    xlnc99
    Eligibility Check on CRA Agencies
    • 6th Nov 19, 3:30 PM
    Eligibility Check on CRA Agencies 6th Nov 19 at 3:30 PM
    Hi

Ive been desperate to get a credit card to build up my credit rating. Finally last week i was able to apply as its been 2 years since my last CCJ. So i did an eligibility check and was getting 95% and 100% on all the bad credit cards, i.e aqua and vanquis, capital one etc.

I did a few soft searches and applied to three or four.

Today i log in and do the same thing to check all my credit cards. All three of my reports suddenly cant find me a credit card. eligibility check has gone down to 0% for all credit cards, including AQUA etc

Is this normal? What could have caused this. Nothing has changed at all in the last few days.
Page 2
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 7th Nov 19, 2:54 AM
    • 2,905 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    boo_star
    Did you really apply to First Direct? With your history?

HSBC/First Direct are second only to AMEX in being picky as hell as who they take on. Why would you apply to them?
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 12:21 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    Did you really apply to First Direct? With your history?

HSBC/First Direct are second only to AMEX in being picky as hell as who they take on. Why would you apply to them?
    Originally posted by boo_star
    Yes, i realise that now
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 12:24 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    I just got my rejection letter from Asda and i am quite concerned.

IT says the looked my information from Equifax.

But it also says on the letter it 'we may also look at national hunter and CIFAS'

if questions are not answered by equifax then i can do a SAR to CIFAS and National Hunter.

This has got me concerned, ive never had a rejection letter telling me to look at CIFAS and National Hunter

Is this normal for a rejection letter?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Nov 19, 12:27 PM
    • 24,380 Posts
    • 27,178 Thanks
    zx81
    It's nothing abnormal. It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything worrying on them.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Nov 19, 1:56 PM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Yes it's normal.

You just need to stop applying for credit and get your current/previous debts and CCJ's in order.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 7th Nov 19, 3:46 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    @OP - There's some good advice in this thread that you seem to be ignoring.

You need to focus on (re)building your credit history. You do that by getting one credit card and using it responsibly - pay it off in full every month. There is no need to apply for multiple cards as this will result in multiple application searches which will actually serve to damage your credit file and leads to the rejections you've experienced. These things take time. You can't (re)build credit overnight.

WRT the rejection letters, yes they are a perfectly normal response and nothing to worry about if you are keeping a regular eye on your credit file. It'd be worth dropping a SAR to CIFAS/National Hunter regardless, but I'd be pretty confident that is just their standard response for rejecting you on credit-scoring grounds. Your multiple recent applications likely pay a big role in this.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 6:34 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    Thanks guys - will drop a SAR to national hunter and CIFAS just to make sure
    • gionnetto
    • By gionnetto 7th Nov 19, 6:37 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    gionnetto
    I want as many credit cards as possibble to build up my history.
    t
    Originally posted by xlnc99
    Overall, you did six searches! You need to do 1-2 every 6 months, rather than all at once.
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 6:40 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    The concerning thing about my ASDA rejection is i have had a look at my EQUIFAX report and there has not been a single search recorded in the last 8 months. All the applications i did in the last few days were searched only on Experian and not EQUIFAX.

This means when ASDA did do a search for me, they should not have been put off by multiple searches. This leads to me belive there is something up with national score hunter or CIFAS.

I applied for the basic bad credit card for ASDA with a very small limit and my credit file would have been sufficent enough to pass those checks
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 6:41 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    INFACT -i have noticed CIFAS just did a search for me!!!

Could that possibbly be because i applied for a SAR with them?????
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 7th Nov 19, 6:49 PM
    • 4,370 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The concerning thing about my ASDA rejection is i have had a look at my EQUIFAX report and there has not been a single search recorded in the last 8 months. All the applications i did in the last few days were searched only on Experian and not EQUIFAX.

This means when ASDA did do a search for me, they should not have been put off by multiple searches. This leads to me belive there is something up with national score hunter or CIFAS.

I applied for the basic bad credit card for ASDA with a very small limit and my credit file would have been sufficent enough to pass those checks
    You didn't apply for a card with a very small limit as the limit is decided by the lender. You don't specify the limit required. You are not in a position to say that your credit file would have been sufficient as you have no knowledge of their accptance criteria.

If the problem was CIFAS it would show on your credit files. As for National Hunter, only you can know if you have been inconsistent or untruthful with the information provided in credit applications.

You say there has not been a single search on your Equifax credit files for 8 months. Not even one from Asda?
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 6:56 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    CIFAS information does not show up on your credit files. Ive had problems with them in the past which i was not aware of but quickly managed to get that sorted including compensation. Long story but that was 3 years ago. CIFAs info only shows up if you get a SAR off them.

Not sure how national hunter works, dont no too much about them. The only inconsistent data ive ever done on applications is due to the long long time ive lived at my current address sometimes i forget the exact date i moved in so maybe i might be + - 2 or 3 years with that information. For example sometimes i may have written 20 years other times 21 years or 22 years. Its been an awful long time since ive been living here. Is that enough for inconsitent data? Surley not - they can verify this on my files

No - not one single search in the last 8 months apart from ASDA on the 1st November
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 7th Nov 19, 7:04 PM
    • 4,370 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Ben8282
    CIFAS information does not show up on your credit files. Ive had problems with them in the past which i was not aware of but quickly managed to get that sorted including compensation. Long story but that was 3 years ago. CIFAs info only shows up if you get a SAR off them.
    Not correct. There is a CIFAS section.
    Seea also https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score/
    Not sure how national hunter works, dont no too much about them. The only inconsistent data ive ever done on applications is due to the long long time ive lived at my current address sometimes i forget the exact date i moved in so maybe i might be + - 2 or 3 years with that information. For example sometimes i may have written 20 years other times 21 years or 22 years. Its been an awful long time since ive been living here. Is that enough for inconsitent data? Surley not - they can verify this on my files
    And so can you so there is no excuse for being inconsistant. But I would agree this is probably not sufficient cause for a rejection.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 07-11-2019 at 7:07 PM.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 7:07 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    I am 100% correct. CIFAS does not show up on your credit report at all. I know there is a section for it, but that is only if you have done CIFAS protection. If there is a black mark or negative mark with on your name registered against CIFAS it will NOT show up on your files. You must submit a CIFAS SAR to get the information.

I know this because i went through hell trying to get a CIFAS removed from my file i had no knowledge about.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 7th Nov 19, 7:15 PM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    I am 100% correct.
    No you are not. You are only sometimes correct. For instance, if a borrower has been a victim of impersonation, then this will be recorded on your credit file.

https://www.uk.equifax.com/publicsectorgateway/webapp/online-help/CIFAS.htm
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 7th Nov 19, 7:17 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    No you are not. You are only sometimes correct. For instance, if a borrower has been a victim of impersonation, then this will be recorded on your credit file.

https://www.uk.equifax.com/publicsectorgateway/webapp/online-help/CIFAS.htm
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    Yes that is what i just explained. Any CIFAS information that is placed AGAINST YOU, i.e you done fraud etc. Any black marker or negative marker against you is NOT recorded on your credit files.

However all othe CIFAS entries will be on your credit file, which include you being a VICTIM of any sort
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Nov 19, 7:31 PM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Anyways.
    At the end of the day, stop applying for credit and clear existing debts before even thinking about taking on more.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 7th Nov 19, 9:27 PM
    • 2,905 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    boo_star
    Anyways.
    At the end of the day, stop applying for credit and clear existing debts before even thinking about taking on more.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    And if they have defaults, late payments or CCJs they need to be realistic and stop applying to prime lenders. They'll be stuck with Aqua/Vanquis, likely until their credit file is clear of negative information.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 8th Nov 19, 12:33 AM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    adindas
    the more credit cards you have the better it looks. I dont plan on maxing them out, just a little spend and full balance each month.
    Interesting ...
    Where did you get this info from ??

How did the lenders know that you will not max out all of the creditcards especially for those who alredy have CCJ ??
    Last edited by adindas; 08-11-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 9th Nov 19, 9:55 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    xlnc99
    Interesting ...
    Where did you get this info from ??

How did the lenders know that you will not max out all of the creditcards especially for those who alredy have CCJ ??
    Originally posted by adindas
    i meant from my point of view as i have ZERO cards, its better for me to get two or three and use them wisely to look better and build up my credit profile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,961Posts Today

7,278Users online

Martin's Twitter