Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Expired
    • By Expired 1st Nov 19, 6:53 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Expired
    Ppi dispute
    • 1st Nov 19, 6:53 PM
    Ppi dispute 1st Nov 19 at 6:53 PM
    I have successfully complained ppi from at least half a dozen banks due to the fact that I received full sick pay and never consented to ppi insurance be it an application online or over telephone.

One recent bank in particular has rejected my complaint under Plevin as my account was closed beforehand in 2004.

They even sent me a letter stating that I had paid ppi but was not eligible to receive said ppi award.

Martin Lewis in one article stated that if you had an account up to 2006 where banks were receiving large fines for missold ppi then customers had the right to complain ppi.

Because of this information I progressed further with the ombudsman and forwarded the letter from bank.

The Ombudsman states that there was no case to answer as the bank had sent a scanned document seemingly with the ppi insurance box ticked.

I angrily responded stating hold on a minute, I have successfully complained against ppi insurance from half a dozen banks under the same circumstances that I have never agreed to ppi and received full sick pay, if the box was ticked then said scanned document has been doctored which is fraud.

I am now making a final appeal with ombudsman as the original appeal was only first level step with an adjudicator.

What is more suspicious is with my complaint with said bank their initial response was I was not eligible under the plevin rule, so why did they not mention originally that I had seemingly ticked ppi box and was not entitled to a ppi award.

It looks like they are trying their best not to pay out by any means even if it includes altering a customers application.
    Last edited by Expired; 02-11-2019 at 2:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Page 2
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Nov 19, 8:24 PM
    • 25,030 Posts
    • 14,499 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    So yes it is a serious matter that I will continue to pursue through the appeals process.
    Originally posted by Expired
    It's really not serious at all, I'm afraid.

My opinion is that you simply don't remember signing the document and have convinced yourself that all your PPI was simply added without your knowledge or permission across multiple finance with multiple lenders!

The truth is that PPI was an expensive and often useless add-on which was often mis-sold to people who never needed the insurance or who could never claim on it. It's myth sponsored by claim companies that it was routinely just added, or hidden in the interest etc. Your successful PPI complaints have all been upheld for other reasons.
    I was successful with one complaint for ppi under plevin.
    Be aware that a Plevin refund indicates that your actual PPI complaint was rejected, so that Bank did not accept your allegation that PPI was added without your permission either.

So, just to reiterate, the bank have rejected your complaint and the FOS adjudicator has agreed with this rejection. The chances of an actual Ombudsman overturning this decision are very slim given that there is actual documentation which disproves your allegations. Plevin does apply either.

Sorry.
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 8:32 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    Takmon please don't assume or guess how much I have in savings, let's just say that I retired early because i could afford to do so and I have travelled far and wide.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Nov 19, 8:39 PM
    • 25,030 Posts
    • 14,499 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Takmon please don't assume or guess how much I have in savings
    He didn't guess.

He simply said you'd have had more if you'd been financially more astute.

On the other hand, if you had checked your outgoings in the manner he suggests you wouldn't have had multiple PPI refunds!
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 8:44 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    I hate repeating myself, so let me make it crystal clear, I have never agreed to ppi as I read many years ago in the financial Times that if you are self employed or in receipt of full sick pay and as a manager my pay was more than adequate to cover my periods of absence, simply that ppi cover would be pointless as they would probably not pay out under said circumstances. At the time of initial story in the financial Times there were ongoing investigations way back then of mis_sold ppi insurance policies to customers which made me decide not to accept said cover.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 2nd Nov 19, 8:54 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Takmon
    I hate repeating myself, so let me make it crystal clear, I have never agreed to ppi as I read many years ago in the financial Times that if you are self employed or in receipt of full sick pay and as a manager my pay was more than adequate to cover my periods of absence, simply that ppi cover would be pointless as they would probably not pay out under said circumstances. At the time of initial story in the financial Times there were ongoing investigations way back then of mis_sold ppi insurance policies to customers which made me decide not to accept said cover.
    That's why you should have paid more attention and contacted the bank as soon as you realised that you were paying for something you didn't want. It shows very poor financial management to let this go on for over 18 years without noticing.

Takmon please don't assume or guess how much I have in savings, let's just say that I retired early because i could afford to do so and I have travelled far and wide.
    Like I said if you had paid more attention to your finances and managed them better you would have had more money now than you do. No matter how well off you are I don't think you should ever waste it by paying for things you don't need. If you missed PPI just think what else you have missed over the years on statements, credit agreements etc.

Yes you may have got it back plus a good rate of interest but if you were good at managing your finances you could have invested this money and other money wasted and made far more.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Nov 19, 8:56 PM
    • 25,030 Posts
    • 14,499 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I have never agreed to ppi
    Nevertheless you had it multiple times and supposedly never realised.

That's not an indication of mis-selling, that's your own financial mismanagement I'm afraid.

If the PPI was "just added", you should have realised this once the first PPI payment was taken and complained immediately in which case your allegation of "fraud" would have had more weight..
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 8:59 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    So everyone claiming ppi has mismanaged their finances, I am sure thats not how Martin Lewis put it. Omg lol.
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 9:04 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    Money ineptitude, your advice would not go down well with the thousands claiming ppi, who are you to criticise folks circumstances of what they should have done. Seriously.
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 9:06 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    The thousands claiming ppi is no one business with regards to the financial circumstances or the management of their financial spending.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Nov 19, 9:09 PM
    • 25,030 Posts
    • 14,499 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    So everyone claiming ppi has mismanaged their finances,
    No.
    You allege all your PPI was added without your knowledge and permission. It simply wasn't. Your documentation was not "altered" fraudulently.

Many others with valid complaints did not need the insurance or could never have have claimed because the policy was unsuitable. Others were charged huge additional interest due to the PPI being "front-loaded" into a single premium.

who are you to criticise folks circumstances of what they should have done. Seriously.
    Do remember, it's not me or this forum you need to convince....
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 9:10 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    I came here for advice on a ppi complaint as stated I have never agreed to ppi cover and one bank is stating I did request said cover by ticking a box.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Nov 19, 9:12 PM
    • 25,030 Posts
    • 14,499 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'll leave you to it...
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 9:17 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    Good idea son. Everyone is a Martin lewis in here, not.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Nov 19, 9:24 PM
    • 25,030 Posts
    • 14,499 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Everyone is a Martin lewis in here, not.
    Lewis sold this site some years ago.
    • Expired
    • By Expired 2nd Nov 19, 9:37 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Expired
    No wonder.
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 2nd Nov 19, 10:27 PM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    SonOf
    I do know about plevin, what I was trying to explain is that Martin Lewis stated that even companies who were being fined up to 2006 for the mis-selling of ppi and the fact at that timescale of my closed account in 2004 individuals could still make a complaint through ppi which I did through resolver and was successful with other complaints.
    You made a complaint and they gave their outcome. There is nothing wrong with having PPI. You can still buy some types of PPI today (mainly mortgage PPI and standalone PPI as they are two of the good types). The whole issue is about the sales process.

For a complaint to succeed, the bank has to identify a failure or decide to auto-payout (and auto-payouts were very common at the peak of PPI complaining). Also, at the sort to the middle of the last 15 years of PPi complaining, the banks were not known for the quality of responses. However, towards the end, most of the banks have accepted the issue and treated complaints much more fairly. So, much so that the the FOS is now upholding only around a quarter of complaints. That is lower than the average of all complaints which actually indicates the banks are probably upholding complaints that they could reject.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 2nd Nov 19, 11:52 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    sun73
    Just out of interest, what is the FOS approach about credit agreements that were auto ticked by some lenders in the 1990’s ?

I had a successful PPI complaint about a credit card. The agreement was auto ticked in 1996 and the account closed in 2004.
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 3rd Nov 19, 1:24 PM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    SonOf
    Just out of interest, what is the FOS approach about credit agreements that were auto ticked by some lenders in the 1990’s ?
    The agreements wouldnt be auto-ticked but the application may have been.

the FOS generally dislike "tick to not have it". Only online ones could be auto-ticked and they usually uphold those.

However, after 15 years of PPI complaining, the lenders and the FOS know what applications were ticked to not have it or auto-ticked if online.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 3rd Nov 19, 10:49 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    sun73
    Sorry I meant to say pre ticked like the application/credit agreement sent to me in 1996 where the lender assumed I wanted to take out PPI at the time.

Not sure if that’s why my complaint was upheld but I have seen other credit applications from other lenders that were pre ticked before the customer signed. Did the FCA ban this practice or was it just the tick to opt out of PPI they banned?
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 4th Nov 19, 12:45 AM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    SonOf
    Sorry I meant to say pre ticked like the application/credit agreement sent to me in 1996 where the lender assumed I wanted to take out PPI at the time.
    That is a really difficult one as how do you prove it was ticked before, during or after discussion.

Did the FCA ban this practice or was it just the tick to opt out of PPI they banned?
    For electronic applications it was deemed inappropriate. However, for paper ones it is very difficult as you cannot untick a tick without it being very clear it was amended.

Even if it happened, it would be a difficult one to prove. Its one of those judgement call decisions made on the balance of probability that the borrower would hope there is another failure point to uphold it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,475Posts Today

7,627Users online

Martin's Twitter