Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 12th Jun 19, 2:37 PM
    • 193Posts
    • 188Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    Need help again please, just want to give up.
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:37 PM
    Need help again please, just want to give up. 12th Jun 19 at 2:37 PM
    Hello (again), I need to ask for more advice if I may.....

My OH is currently 9 months into his DRO and things have been ok, however a bombshell landed the other day and I'm not sure I can deal with this all over again so I need a bit of advice please.

Basically a letter dropped through the door stating that he owes a balance of unpaid rent on a property he vacated in 2016. Now he did live in this property with an ex but they split up and he moved out back in 2012 (possibly 2011). We have been together since 2013 and he has lived with me since 2015 so I know that he definitely did not live there from 2013 onwards. So the ex has obviously stayed on at the property until 2016 and left owing money.....that my OH is now being chased for.

When he moved out, he went to the housing association office to advise them that he was moving out and he said that they got him to sign something, but he can't remember what it said and he was never given a copy - after all this time he wouldn't have kept it even if he had.

So my questions are basically:
    Does he have a leg to stand on to try and argue this?

Is it best to just try and get it paid somehow (it's around £300)? Maybe I could pay it for him?
    Or is it best contact Stepchange for advice? (they arranged his DRO)
    Will we need to inform the DRO people?

This is not a forgotten debt or anything like that, he literally knew nothing of this until the letter landed the other day. It's not threatening or anything like that at the moment, it just says to contact them ASAP.

I am terrificed that this will now cause issues with his DRO and we are so close to the end, I am beyond gutted. My anxiety is as high as ever, I can't sleep and am on the verge of tears all the time (crying as I sit here typing).

If anyone could advise it would be really helpful.

Thankyou x
Page 5
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 17th Oct 19, 2:09 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    Hi Sue

The link below takes you to the FCA handbook. The link is for the section that refers directly to disputed accounts.

If it were me, when I wrote the letter, I would quote directly from the handbook as it is pretty clear that disputed accounts should be suspended during the resulting investigation. I believe the HA should be complying with the handbook rules, whilst having full regard to the additional guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Obviously, I recommend waiting for sourcrates' obeservations on this, as he (or maybe she) is the wisest owl!!

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CONC/7/14.html
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn

Thank you Willing, that is very kind

I will hold off and wait for a reply from sourcrates as suggested, although I fear that he/she may have 'fallen out with me' for want of a better phrase, due to the fact that I can be very annoying with my constant "what if's"!!

Sourcrates - if this is the case I absolutely apologise, my anxiety takes over sometimes and I can't help but question and doubt absolutely EVERYTHING, but I understand how frustrating that is for others, particularly over a forum where there is no real tone to be read

I always appreciate the help given here, from all of you.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 17th Oct 19, 2:47 PM
    • 7,567 Posts
    • 29,249 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Didn't want to read and run but Sourcrates rarely takes offence unless it's personally directed.

I'm sure they'll be along in a while.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £4160.00 Lloyds: £8100.00 OD £2000 MBNA: GONE
    Dec LTW 6/13
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD £5067.99/£5604.30
    Xmas Pot £885.45/£500 ~ EF £240/£500 ~ OD £0/£2000
    20p Savers 2020 £2 Savers 2020 50p Savers 2020 SPC 13 2020 #003
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th Oct 19, 2:47 PM
    • 18,765 Posts
    • 17,678 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thank you Willing, that is very kind

I will hold off and wait for a reply from sourcrates as suggested, although I fear that he/she may have 'fallen out with me' for want of a better phrase, due to the fact that I can be very annoying with my constant "what if's"!!

Sourcrates - if this is the case I absolutely apologise, my anxiety takes over sometimes and I can't help but question and doubt absolutely EVERYTHING, but I understand how frustrating that is for others, particularly over a forum where there is no real tone to be read

I always appreciate the help given here, from all of you.
    Originally posted by CurlySue2017
    No, not at all, I understand it can be frustrating dealing with uncooperative companies.
    W2L makes a good point above, however most of that information mainly applies to credit agreements, and tenancy agreements are not covered by the consumer credit act, but may still apply in regard to the debt collection part.

I’ll work on that letter for you.

Oh, and sourcrates identifies as a he ��
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 17th Oct 19, 2:56 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    No, not at all, I understand it can be frustrating dealing with uncooperative companies.
    W2L makes a good point above, however most of that information mainly applies to credit agreements, and tenancy agreements are not covered by the consumer credit act, but may still apply in regard to the debt collection part.

Iíll work on that letter for you.

Oh, and sourcrates identifies as a he ��
    Originally posted by sourcrates

Thank you so much
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 13th Nov 19, 3:09 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    Update
    I just wanted to come back and update this thread and say thanks again to everyone that has helped.

The complaint letter that sourcrates very kindly drafted for us was sent out and OH has had a reply. They have answered each of the complaints point by point but then in the last paragraph have stated that as a gesture of goodwill, they have written off the debt and no payment is required.

So I presume that's it now, we don't need to do anything else?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Nov 19, 3:19 PM
    • 18,765 Posts
    • 17,678 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I just wanted to come back and update this thread and say thanks again to everyone that has helped.

The complaint letter that sourcrates very kindly drafted for us was sent out and OH has had a reply. They have answered each of the complaints point by point but then in the last paragraph have stated that as a gesture of goodwill, they have written off the debt and no payment is required.

So I presume that's it now, we don't need to do anything else?
    Originally posted by CurlySue2017
    Excellent news, glad you got the result you deserved.

No further action required.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 13th Nov 19, 3:22 PM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Excellent news

Keep that goodwill gesture letter safely filed (just in case)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Nov 19, 3:24 PM
    • 9,812 Posts
    • 49,824 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Sue that's great news - really pleased to hear it! If you have access to a scanner - scan that letter and store it in the cloud somewhere as well as retaining the hard copy! "Just in case!"
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,978Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter