Failed car rental identity check

Hi all,

The Enterprise rent a car branch in Manchester airport refused to rent me a car because I failed their identity check. The rental was prepaid by a credit card and I brought passport, bank statements with me in case i need to prove my identity. But the manager there said computer decides everything and it is not possible to do a manual id check. I then went to Europcar counter but was refused again because of id check. Now this really confused me and totally ruined my holiday plan.

Europcar mentioned they used Experian to check my identity. Enterprise didn't mentioned but i guess the same.

I have access to callcredit report via Noddle and i kept checking it every month. I have one current account and one CC registered at my current address. No default, no CCJ. I am not in electoral roll because of my nationality. I paid electricity and broadband but they don't report to CRA.

As for experian, i got a £2 report last year and everything seemed fine and matched the callcredit one.

There are only 2 potential problems i can think of. The first is electoral roll which i cannot do anything about it. The second is i am living in a flat.
In Experian system, my address is
Flat XX
House number, house name
street name
city
But in all other accounts and my driving license and RoyalMail it is
Flat XX, house name
House number, street name
city
This seems a common problem for flats.

But the thing is a friend of mine having same nationality and living in the same building (different flat) went together with me and passed the id check, which really confused me. He lived in this address even less than me.

Sorry for the long post. There must be a big problem but I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Contact Experian and query it
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 2 April 2018 at 7:05AM
    At the time of collecting the car you presumably produced the credit card and your driving licence. You also had your passport. Surely this is sufficient to rent a car?
    I am curious as to why you took your bank statements with you though. It almost seems that you were expecting a problem?
  • ywlgy
    ywlgy Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    At the time of collecting the car you presumably produced the credit card and your driving licence. You also had your passport. Surely this is sufficient to rent a car?
    I am curious as to why you took your bank statements with you though. It almost seems that you were expecting a problem?
    Enterprise claimed it was a rule to do online check for non-deplaning customers in airport branch. They don't do this for deplaning customers.

I brought statement with me because their email sent to me mentioned extra id check for non-deplaning customers.

PS: I went to airport branch because all other branches had limited opening hours.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ywlgy wrote: »
    Enterprise claimed it was a rule to do online check for non-deplaning customers in airport branch. They don't do this for deplaning customers.

I brought statement with me because their email sent to me mentioned extra id check for non-deplaning customers.

PS: I went to airport branch because all other branches had limited opening hours.

So now you have to prove if you're "de-planing" (who makes up these atrocious words?). It sounds completely over the top to me. If Enterprise had any sense, which clearly they haven't, they'd understand that a driving licence is a primary form of identification.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So much for American customer experience.....

If you are an EU national then you can get on the electoral roll - you can vote in local elections but not national ones - go to gov.uk and search for voter registration - cannot post link I'm on the phone.
  • ywlgy
    tenchy wrote: »
    So now you have to prove if you're "de-planing" (who makes up these atrocious words?). It sounds completely over the top to me. If Enterprise had any sense, which clearly they haven't, they'd understand that a driving licence is a primary form of identification.
    Which makes it totally ironic and ridiculous is that the employee said i could buy a flight ticket and pretended to be a deplaning customer.

But that is not the major point of this post. I want to figure out how i not pass this check.
  • ywlgy
    D_M_E wrote: »
    So much for American customer experience.....

If you are an EU national then you can get on the electoral roll - you can vote in local elections but not national ones - go to gov.uk and search for voter registration - cannot post link I'm on the phone.
    sadly i am from outside of EU. But as you see my friend is not EU national either but passed the check.
  • ywlgy
    Update:

The prepaid money is fully refunded. Good point for enterprise.

Just spoke to customer service and was informed only airport branch will do id check to non-deplaning customers. So i should be able to rent in other branches with credit card or when actually flying in.

CS also told me they use ID3global for id check. I then queried this company and they said they use all 3 CRAs.

I will definitely check experian and equifax reports. now I guess the problem might be still too little footprint.

I am thinking of getting a SIM-only contract with THREE rather than PAYG. Will that help?

And what about adding my name on water bill? I share it with my GF. I am afraid this will add a financial link in my credit report. Does it worth to this?
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Is there any other compensation that you could claim from Enterprise as a consequence of being refused a car ?
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Is there any other compensation that you could claim from Enterprise as a consequence of being refused a car ?

Really? Why does everything come down to compensation? Yes it's a pain in the neck, but it's not like they're doing it for fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure