Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmaharris
    • By Emmaharris 20th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emmaharris
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters
    • 20th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters 20th Jun 17 at 3:23 PM
    Hi,
    Hoping I've posted this in the right place, if not, apologies.
    Bit of a complicated one. On return of a holiday to Costa Rica with Thompson we were told we were entitled to claim for a delay. Unfortunately although my stepmum was told to wait until we did it for her she went online and added all flight details to an online claims company she came across. ( Flight delay claims team. Based in Northants )
    She filled in most info then they asked her to fill in a power of attorney form and she decided not to carry on online. She received an email saying thanks for signing up with us and called them a couple of weeks later to say she didn't want to go ahead as it was being dealt with by my brother. On the phone they said that was ok and that would be the end of it. Fast forward to recent weeks and she is recieving letters saying she owes them nearly £1600 for ignored reminders, the work they did processing the claim etc. The are adding interest daily and adding charges for random stuff and I have no idea what to do next. They won't discuss over the phone and say they don't take phone calls. Have emailed and they are pretty much saying tough luck pay up.
    She hasn't heard anything from Thompson regarding the compensation but the two other people that claimed together officially with Thompson have had their money back already. ( no one knew she'd put any details in online as we all did ours with resolver )
    It's all a mess and we have no clue how to sort it!
    Any help or advice would be great.
    Thank you.
Page 2
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 3rd Sep 18, 11:37 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    legal magpie
    I'm afraid that this is the penalty of dealing with Claims companies rather than solicitors who are properly regulated
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 4th Sep 18, 5:08 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Hello Charlie,

Same thing happened to us, just making an online enquiry and then the invoices arrived.

We have emailed Anna Sims, asking if she would like to do a follow up story.

Also, spoken to CAB, who are going to report FDCT to Trading Standards. CAB advised us to do a report to Action Fraud, which we have done. If enough people complain perhaps something will happen.

They want you to get fed up and pay, but money is to hard earned to give away.
    • cmb2018
    • By cmb2018 4th Sep 18, 4:29 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cmb2018
    I am in the exact same position at the moment.

I have spoken to CAB & the consumer helpline, and even rang Action Fraud.

My local CAB didn't have any free legal advice service, however I was advised after the representative read through the T&Cs and did some research on the company, that by entering my details I have in fact entered a contract with FDCT, even without meaning to or even being aware that I had done so. Their website is extremely misleading with no clear link to T&Cs - as I said I wasn't aware I had even signed a contract and had no confirmation whatsoever (though they claim I did, I have asked for proof and they have stopped replying).

My invoice has already been escalated once from £200 to £330, and I have been advised by CAB that I am liable for the debt (unless I would like to proceed through the Court, which will probably end up costing me more). So unfortunately, I'm going to have to pay, as I am a student and cannot afford the time and money expense involved in claiming through the Courts. I have reported FDCT to Trading Standards and hopefully something will eventually be done about this awful company.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 4th Sep 18, 5:12 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Mrs
    If you have Home Insurance, check if the policy covers legal services. You can ring and speak to someone and if if goes to Court, possibly get legal representation to fight your corner.

It is quite shocking that an online enquiry turns into a 3 figure invoice and that FDCT are getting away with this time and time again.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 4th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Mrs
    The point is that people were just making enquiries, to find out if they were eligible to claim. Not signing up for anything. Complete scam.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Sep 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4,832 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    I am in the exact same position at the moment.

I have spoken to CAB & the consumer helpline, and even rang Action Fraud.

My local CAB didn't have any free legal advice service, however I was advised after the representative read through the T&Cs and did some research on the company, that by entering my details I have in fact entered a contract with FDCT, even without meaning to or even being aware that I had done so. Their website is extremely misleading with no clear link to T&Cs - as I said I wasn't aware I had even signed a contract and had no confirmation whatsoever (though they claim I did, I have asked for proof and they have stopped replying).

My invoice has already been escalated once from £200 to £330, and I have been advised by CAB that I am liable for the debt (unless I would like to proceed through the Court, which will probably end up costing me more). So unfortunately, I'm going to have to pay, as I am a student and cannot afford the time and money expense involved in claiming through the Courts. I have reported FDCT to Trading Standards and hopefully something will eventually be done about this awful company.
    Originally posted by cmb2018
    I have yet to see this scam and sham of a company take anyone to court over this fraud.
    If it were me I would call their bluff.
    They are harrassing you for a debt that doesn't exist.
    You can sue for that.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 4th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    JAM2018
    At least one of theTrustpilot positive reviews seems to have been posted by an employee of Flight Delay Claims Team. Trustpilot have been notified.
    • cmb2018
    • By cmb2018 4th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cmb2018
    It seems like a lot of people are receiving court summons for not paying the invoice. I'm sure that if it did go to court and I had legal representation then it is fairly likely that I could win, however I'm not sure it's worth the stress. I'm a PhD student in the last few months of my degree so have enough on my plate at the moment! Will be checking about the house insurance tomorrow though. I have until Monday to decide whether to pay before the invoice amount is increased again. Also, they have a slightly incorrect address for me on file and I am moving out this week anyway, so I would never get the summons if/when it comes, and I don't really want to give them my updated address. CAB advised me that I don't want to ignore this as it could have repercussions down the line if a CCJ is filed against me without my knowledge.

Since I asked them to provide proof that they sent me a confirmation email after signing, and they sent me a partial screenshot of an email just showing the date and my email address, and I replied asking them to forward to actual email as proof, they have gone completely silent. Yet time is still ticking on the invoice of course! Absolutely loathed to pay these scammers but after many sleepless nights at this point I just want it to go away.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Sep 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4,832 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    This really is a blatant scam, actually worse than the airlines.
    I do wonder how these people actually sleep at night.
    A court summons is one thing.
    Actually going to court for these !!!!!!s is quite another thing. I think any reasonable judge would see straight through the fraud and the vexatious use of the court system. If they have a solicitor working for them, he/she should be reported to the Law Society.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 5th Sep 18, 5:16 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Mrs
    Hello Charlie,

Let me know if you want someone to go to court with you. Would be happy to back you up. I am having trouble sleeping thinking about this too. Do you have a court date and location yet?

x
    • cmb2018
    • By cmb2018 5th Sep 18, 11:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cmb2018
    I think I am going to pay 'under duress' before the invoice is increased again. I spoke to a solicitor on the phone earlier (courtesy of the house insurance) and they suggested writing a formal complaint letter etc. but FDCT clearly won't reply and in the meantime the invoice will only escalate further. By paying under duress I'm hoping this will allow me to take them through the small claims court at a later date when I have more time to deal with this if I decide to.

I'll resign myself to being very annoyed for a while and writing horrible reviews of them everywhere possible.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 6th Sep 18, 1:06 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Paying under duress is a very bad move in cases such as this as it will be virtually impossible to pursue a claim later. So either pay up and move on or else fight it. No Judge is going to be impressed by a company which simply adds on more and more charges.
    Paying under duress only works in cases such as when you have taken your car to a garage and the bill is twice what you expected. You object but the garage refuses to release your car unless you pay. In this instance the "duress" is that you were deprived of your car and the Court will entertain your claim.
    • Camdan123
    • By Camdan123 6th Sep 18, 7:12 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Camdan123
    I had the same issue with this company.
    First came the emails,demanding payment adding £25 to each email reminder
    Then the formal demand for payment , by registered post
    After a month received Court papers (which I filed a defense ).
    Notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track
    Then the court sent out Directions Questionnaire
    Next I got a letter from the court saying they had not filled in the Directions Questionnaire and would give them another 10 days to do so

After a month as I had heard nothing,I contacted the court to find out what was happening.
    Told the case was struck out for non compliance.
    I also had thoughts of just paying , but decided I would take this all the way and let a judge decide
    • habe
    • By habe 6th Sep 18, 10:36 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    habe
    Hi I am new in here. I've just read all of this and I signed the document 3 weeks ago. I am now worried about it. I haven't received anything yet but i am worried. Can I still cancel it at the moment?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 6th Sep 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    legal magpie
    You need to look at the agreement. You are probably out of time under the cooling off period.
    • habe
    • By habe 7th Sep 18, 10:14 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    habe
    Yes, only 14 days for the cooling off period!! Oh my gosh!! Anything that I could do now? After reading all these, I couldn’t sleep at all last night!
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 7th Sep 18, 10:25 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Justice13075
    See post#33 maybe follow Camdan123 seems from that post when challenged they give in.
    • LollyPop1234556
    • By LollyPop1234556 7th Sep 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LollyPop1234556
    I had the same issue with this company.
    First came the emails,demanding payment adding £25 to each email reminder
    Then the formal demand for payment , by registered post
    After a month received Court papers (which I filed a defense ).
    Notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track
    Then the court sent out Directions Questionnaire
    Next I got a letter from the court saying they had not filled in the Directions Questionnaire and would give them another 10 days to do so

After a month as I had heard nothing,I contacted the court to find out what was happening.
    Told the case was struck out for non compliance.
    I also had thoughts of just paying , but decided I would take this all the way and let a judge decide
    Originally posted by Camdan123
    Hi

Can you tell us what happened please? I have received the first bill, and I'm expecting to go through all this now. Frightening isn't it?
    • LollyPop1234556
    • By LollyPop1234556 7th Sep 18, 2:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LollyPop1234556
    Hi Did anyone get to the court stage? not sure what to do about this. Have received the first letter which I have to pay within 14 days. Expecting to receive a bill for £500 after and threatening court action. Consumer Trading Standards advised to send a recorded delivery letter for misleading practices.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 7th Sep 18, 2:23 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Hi

Can you tell us what happened please? I have received the first bill, and I'm expecting to go through all this now. Frightening isn't it?
    Originally posted by LollyPop1234556
    It tells you above the case was struck out
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,756Posts Today

7,682Users online

Martin's Twitter