Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 1st Oct 15, 5:39 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    5p bag charge - your views
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:39 PM
    0 WOW
    5p bag charge - your views 1st Oct 15 at 5:39 PM
    Hi everyone,

From 5 October, supermarkets in England will charge 5p for carrier bags. So I wanted to know:

1. What are your views on the charge? Is it good/bad/don't care - and why?
    2. And do you have any MoneySaving tips for getting around the fee?

Thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 02-10-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: (Typo)
Page 2
  • archived user
    That's not abuse, that's just not wanting for a bag.

Not your fault they aren't aware of what's going on.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

I have removed the swear words.

When a customer has tried to buy 3 packs of paracetamol (the law states max. 2 packs of 16. Can buy more otc at pharmacies) the man kicked off, swore, started to say shout racist terms to my non-white colleagues, called me a f****** b***h. He was kicked out of the shop and banned indefinitely.

This the sort of abuse, I am not looking forward to.

My friends that work in supermarkets, are expecting one customer to walk out with no shopping as refuse to pay for bags, causing them to put all the shopping back on the shelves etc.

I will never understand why some people are buying £50 shopping, but somehow find it an issue to pay 35-50p for their bags.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 2nd Oct 15, 11:39 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Cisco001
    The only concern is my chicken.

i recently read something saying there are bugs even on the outer external plastic wrapping. And recommended not to mix the wrapped chicken with other food.

should we entitled to an extra free bag when purchasing chicken?
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 2nd Oct 15, 11:52 AM
    • 12,596 Posts
    • 11,774 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I have to say from the point of view of comfort, I tend to always bring my own bag, not so much to save the environment (which I am pleased is a by-product) but because if I carry anything it's a lot easier to carry it on my shoulder than to drag bags over my wrists.

Having said that, I am not so OK with the 5p charge. I know I'll end up paying it because there are so many occasions where I run out of the canvas bags or bags for life because the half price offer I was going to use is now a BOGOF offer or something else I saw I remembered I needed at the time I was in the supermarket or it was in the reduced-to-clear offer space....I can see myself getting caught out anyhow.
    5p over a spend isn't for most people going to change and define their lives, but added up just feels a bit of an aggravating issue and I just hope that 5p we're all (mostly) going to end up paying does go somewhere other than the pockets of the supermarket fat-cats.

I would have thought it would have been a better plan to add a tax to suppliers adding excess packaging so they are caused to cut down their packaging and mean more things can fit into a carrier bag rather than a box-inside-a-box-inside-a-box... so much of what I end up throwing out is pointless decorative packaging and on the occasions I've taken the time to de-package things before leaving the shop I've almost halved the carrier bags I'd initially left with.

My main problem though is going to be how much I'm going to end up spending on bin-liners which is my usual use for carrier bags once I've finished with them and if buying a load on a roll will end up cheaper than paying per bag at the till.
    • Laurensalive
    • By Laurensalive 2nd Oct 15, 12:02 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Laurensalive
    I am old enough to remember the days when all took shopping baskets for the groceries. I think this charge is good. But it will be a case of remembering to take one with me when I do the shopping. I do hope that there will be a list of good causes that do benefit from this charge.
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 2nd Oct 15, 12:09 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    Torry Quine and frugalmacdugal- Good spot, I've amended that typo - it is of course the 5 Oct when this takes force - thanks.

To those who've asked why the thread now? You're right, we've known this will come into force for a while, but given it's happening on Monday, it's timely to raise the discussion again.

And thanks everyone for all the other comments - I love the ideas of making home-made bags. I have a bag for life for shopping, and a small roll-up bag for my handbag too. But from my experience, the smaller Express and Local stores don't tend to sell these.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 2nd Oct 15, 1:53 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    To those who've asked why the thread now? You're right, we've known this will come into force for a while, but given it's happening on Monday, it's timely to raise the discussion again.
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    But there was already a thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5328955 you could have added to that discussion instead of starting a new one.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 2nd Oct 15, 3:49 PM
    • 9,174 Posts
    • 5,465 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I am old enough to remember the days when all took shopping baskets for the groceries. I think this charge is good. But it will be a case of remembering to take one with me when I do the shopping. I do hope that there will be a list of good causes that do benefit from this charge.
    Originally posted by Laurensalive

I remember shopping in the local town(walking distance from home)with my mum and helping her carry a bag by taking a handle each. However, in those days, shopping was done several days a week, as many didn't have a fridge to keep food fresh.

Tesco's publicity says the money will go to local good causes, but doesn't name any.

I'm surprised that none of the big supermarkets have chosen to provide strong paper bags (as in the US) to keep customers happy.... and be different.
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 2nd Oct 15, 4:03 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 3,652 Thanks
    jackomdj
    I take bags to the supermarket, the only thing I will worry about is not taking enough bags so I will overcompensate and take loads.

I agree with the other poster about chicken, but you can probably put that in the plastic veg bags.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 2nd Oct 15, 4:17 PM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 29,913 Thanks
    thriftylass

i recently read something saying there are bugs even on the outer external plastic wrapping. And recommended not to mix the wrapped chicken with other food.

Originally posted by Cisco001
    For uncooked meat/poultry/fish items or items like razors and prescription medicines etc you get a free bag at the till.

I totally agree with the charge. When you plan a big shop (rather than popping in at whim) how difficult can it be to take a bag or two with you like 20 years ago. As most of my shops are planned I pack a bag. On unplanned shops I make do.

If I get a home delivery I of course always asked for without bags. It takes two minutes longer to unpack the crate but I'm usually finished by the time he brought the second lot round or the bill to check.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 02-10-2015 at 4:20 PM.
    • sounds
    • By sounds 2nd Oct 15, 6:46 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sounds
    Not happy

Hi,

5p is not a large amount of money but I do believe we the British public are being conned. If its not a huge charge let the shops pay it! The charge is for plastic bags....well why not give us paper bags, Primark will they be charging?

I sort of see the logic of charging for bags for food after all its single use like the bags but I don't fancy bringing home my £50 jumper or white shirt from Marks & Sparks, in a bag that's had last weeks potatoes in with all the mud. The thing thats get me is I will have to buy a bag and I will be advertising the company all around town that I bought my garment from, I know that's the extreme end but I hope you get my point. Food yes clothes no! On the other side of things impulse buying will go out the window. 5p not a lot but its the principle of the matter for me.

Perhaps I will try on my proposed clothes purchase in the shop, order on line and have it delivered to store, it comes ready wrapped!!!

As for those who have their food delivered let the driver take longer to bring it in and take your time unloading it, means it will cost the store more as they will be doing fewer deliveries each day.

• archived user

Originally posted by Cisco001
    Any concerns, you need to contact Defra as they are the gov department that created the list of things you can get a free bag for. Plus you local MP.

If both consumers and retailers contact Defra about exclusions, esp the raw meat one as so vague, they have to reword or add another exclusion to the list.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 3rd Oct 15, 8:43 AM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 7,729 Thanks
    Norman Castle

Hi,

5p is not a large amount of money but I do believe we the British public are being conned.Conned into providing funding for good causes. You can avoid being "conned" by providing your own bags. If its not a huge charge let the shops pay it! If the bags are free for customers, customers will not restrict how many they use.

I sort of see the logic of charging for bags for food after all its single use like the bags but I don't fancy bringing home my £50 jumper or white shirt from Marks & Sparks, in a bag that's had last weeks potatoes in with all the mud. After paying £50 for a jumper paying 5p for a bag is irrelevant. The thing thats get me is I will have to buy a bag and I will be advertising the company all around town that I bought my garment from, Turn the bag inside out. I know that's the extreme end but I hope you get my point. Food yes clothes no! On the other side of things impulse buying will go out the window. 5p not a lot but its the principle of the matter for me.

Perhaps I will try on my proposed clothes purchase in the shop, order on line and have it delivered to store, it comes ready wrapped!!! Great idea. That'll teach them.

As for those who have their food delivered let the driver take longer to bring it in and take your time unloading it, means it will cost the store more as they will be doing fewer deliveries each day. Another subversive plan. Why punish the shops for government policy?.

Originally posted by sounds
    You can keep your free bags if you can find a better way of reducing this.

Last edited by Norman Castle; 03-10-2015 at 8:47 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 3rd Oct 15, 11:35 AM
    • 6,525 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Hi everyone,

From 5 October, supermarkets in England will charge 5p for carrier bags. So I wanted to know:

1. What are your views on the charge? Is it good/bad/don't care - and why?
    2. And do you have any MoneySaving tips for getting around the fee?

Thanks
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    Other than reusing you own bags there is no sneaky way around it. Like getting a free bag with your freshly cut steak oozing blood but sneaking your box of corn flakes in with it, if the checkout operator sees you do this then they have to charge.
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 3rd Oct 15, 4:05 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    I understand why they are doing it. The recycle aspect if it is a big one. I have been hoarding bags for a couple of weeks which I keep in my ruck sack. If I do going shopping I take that with me for heavy items (no car) and then I have a couple of bags for other items if I need it. My main shop online is either Morrisons who inform me the bag less option is currently not in place so they have to charge me per bag. With that however when I next get a shop in I can return said bags and get my 5p refunded for each bag. I now have the system in place of taking the bags upstairs, empty then return the bags down stairs to the door so they are ready for my next delivery.

Does anybody know as I've only seen supermarkets advertise this - will clothes/other non food shops be doing this?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Oct 15, 4:46 PM
    • 9,174 Posts
    • 5,465 Thanks
    teddysmum
    You can keep your free bags if you can find a better way of reducing this.

Originally posted by Norman Castle

I have the impression that the majority of the plastic in this picture is not shopping bags but bin liners and the tough plastic used to wrap clothing, household linens , mail order items etc..
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 3rd Oct 15, 5:07 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 7,729 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I have the impression that the majority of the plastic in this picture is not shopping bags but bin liners and the tough plastic used to wrap clothing, household linens , mail order items etc..
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Its just a random picture!.

• Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 3rd Oct 15, 5:19 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 9,260 Thanks
    Nick_C
    When a customer has tried to buy 3 packs of paracetamol (the law states max. 2 packs of 16.....)
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Off topic but that is not what the law says at all. The law says that where paracetamol is on general sale without a prescription, for example at a supermarket rather than a pharmacy, there is a maximum pack size of 16 and the supply must not exceed 100 tablets.

A supermarket could legally sell 6 packs if they chose to.

Law and Guidance are not the same thing!

The decision to sell only two packs is supermarket policy.
    • yvonne13
    • By yvonne13 3rd Oct 15, 8:09 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    yvonne13
    So now I have to pay to advertise what shop I get my perishables from.......
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didnít.
    • acemo
    • By acemo 3rd Oct 15, 8:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    acemo
    As we are now paying for these plastic bags, are they covered by EU shopping guarantees, repairs, replacement, refund laws ? and how long does the guarantees last ?, and does the shop u purchased them from have to comply with this.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 3rd Oct 15, 9:36 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 7,729 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    So now I have to pay to advertise what shop I get my perishables from.......
    Originally posted by yvonne13
    No you don't.. You can use your own bag.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,706Users online

Martin's Twitter