Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dada44
    • By dada44 22nd May 14, 2:00 PM
    • 247Posts
    • 21Thanks
    dada44
    driving slow : your views ?
    • 22nd May 14, 2:00 PM
    driving slow : your views ? 22nd May 14 at 2:00 PM
    hi.

i like to drive slow. in that, if its a 30 road zone, i prefer 25. if its a roundabout, i prefer 15 or 20 mph. if it's a motorway of 70, i prefer 60, maybe even 55.

i have noticed that this sometimes makes drivers behind me impatient, as if i am the one driving wrong. however, when i drive i feel calm, and much safer, than if i was driving a little faster.

just wondering, is there a legal view on how slow to drive in roads ? would i be considered to be doing the right thing, legally ?
Page 3
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 22nd May 14, 6:40 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    tberry6686
    Driving slowly is fine - when conditions dictate. Driving slowly because you want to is just a pain in the **** for everyone else on the road. If there is a queue of traffic building up behind you then you are traveling to slowly so either pull over and let traffic past or speed up.
    • londonTiger
    • By londonTiger 22nd May 14, 7:01 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    londonTiger
    On the flipside I was driving through a remote road looking for an inn. The place was not listed on my satnav so I had to drive slowly and look for the building by sight. So I drove slowly and then noticed a car behind me. I indicated left to say that I was driving slow so if you want to overtake by all means do so.

Idiot behind me kept bleeping his horns. Then I put the hazaards on and pulled over on the track as there was a backlog of vehicles behind me. The idiot got more mad - because now he couldn't overtake because he was tailgating so slow that he can't pull out.

I moved forward a little to let him pass and he beeped a few times as he was passing.

I try to be considerate but when people use their horns aggressively like that it makes you feel glad to inconvenience them like this.
    • facade
    • By facade 22nd May 14, 7:02 PM
    • 4,110 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    facade
    I think that in summary, do as you wish, as long as you are considerate of other road users, rather than oblivious to them.

I recall on another forum a user asking for advice because every morning, at the same time, in the same place on a "short cut" lane, the same car came up behind them and tailgated them (at 20mph most likely) for miles.

Advice included take his number and report him, turn your rear fogs on, keep braking sharply for no reason.

I was the only one to suggest that perhaps the poor man was trying to get to work quickly along a short cut, and maybe they could allow him past, or even start out slightly later so that he was in front.
    • Fishingtime
    • By Fishingtime 22nd May 14, 7:13 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Fishingtime
    5 miles an hour below the limit is not a crime, the speed limit is the maximum and not something that you have to do by law
    Owing on CC 00.00

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
  • Buellguy
    5 miles an hour below the limit is not a crime, the speed limit is the maximum and not something that you have to do by law
    Originally posted by Fishingtime

Nope, BUT 15 round a roundabout that may have a limit of 40 or 50 may be considered foolhardy if not at times downright dangerous and 40 in a clear, safe NSL is certainly inconsiderate if holding up other traffic
    • F_Bear
    • By F_Bear 22nd May 14, 7:54 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    F_Bear
    think of this next time ur driving slow down a county road, 60mph limit and your doing 40mph as theres a few bends.

the drivers behind you are goin to be frustrated and look to overtake, as they become more annoyed their judgement is impaired along with there patience. we make rash decisions were annoyed and under pressure.

as they overtake you, rashly and wrongly, they smash straight into an on coming car...........causing an accident that your then going to be caught up in. so even by driving 'carefully' in your eyes your sytill going to get caught up in the mess.

if you drive slow but pull over when theres a jam behind you i suppose most drivers wont be bothered. also safer for you!
  • BillJones
    hi.

i like to drive slow. in that, if its a 30 road zone, i prefer 25. if its a roundabout, i prefer 15 or 20 mph. if it's a motorway of 70, i prefer 60, maybe even 55.

i have noticed that this sometimes makes drivers behind me impatient, as if i am the one driving wrong. however, when i drive i feel calm, and much safer, than if i was driving a little faster.

just wondering, is there a legal view on how slow to drive in roads ? would i be considered to be doing the right thing, legally ?
    Originally posted by dada44

You'd likely fail your driving test if you drove that way during it.

Having said that, I'd have no issue with someone driving below the limit if they are not comfortable closer to it, and would just hope that you'd react sensibly should I choose to overtake.

i do believe that if everyone drove slower, there would be far fewer accidents. i often feel quite a bit of pressure to keep up with others. i don't think it's a lack of confidence because i can drive faster, i just don't find it comfortable.
    Ah, now we get to the point of it, you think that it gives you the moral high ground...
    Last edited by BillJones; 22-05-2014 at 8:12 PM.
    • hickles69
    • By hickles69 22nd May 14, 8:11 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    hickles69
    I passed my test a couple of years ago and was told 10% under / over was acceptable. IE 30 mile zone, anything from 27-33 is acceptable... I had trouble keeping up with traffic due to confidence.
    SPC#077 - 7-666.54, 8-489, 9-264 10-376 11- 305.8p 12 329 SPC 13 target - 0 / 100

Swaggers - 2015/285, 2016/270, 2017 / 460, 2018 420 2019 - target 200 for next Christmas
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 22nd May 14, 8:56 PM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    Aretnap
    Slightly extreme case, but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7171154.stm
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 22nd May 14, 9:05 PM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 3,250 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Driving at 55 on a motorway (which you stated you sometimes do) does not equal less accidents. You're creating a hundred unnecessary flash points every time a lorry has to move out to pass you.

Sorry but at best you're not a competent, confident driver and at worst you're just plain thoughtless.
    Originally posted by sinbad182
    OP - rather than being a one-man campaign to make everyone drive slower by getting in their way - you might be better to start a political campaign - get in touch with your MP.

Also get your speedo checked - I come across loads of folks running at around 63/64 on the motorways, and I'm sure they think they are doing 70mph and all the rest of us are speedsters who should drive slower.

Try driving at 56mph and see if the big trucks have to overtake you - if they do, you are driving slower than you think.
    • roonaldo
    • By roonaldo 22nd May 14, 9:13 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    roonaldo
    OP probably insists of driving in the middle lane on the motorway too. Keep of the road please.

Folk here are right about the speedo. My car says 70 but my sat nav says 66.
    • nobbysn*ts
    • By nobbysn*ts 22nd May 14, 9:22 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    nobbysn*ts
    My sat nav and speedo agree to 1mph. And I drive at a speed that suits me. If some moron behind me doesn't like it, he's welcome to pass me. The ones that usually get most wound up are the brigade that insist "it's the speedo reading slow, and you can do 10% more anyway, so it's 34 in a 30 limit, 45 in a 40, 67 in a 60.... " guess what, pass me then. Somehow, they're never happy to break the speed limit from the front, but have no problem speeding behind others. Moronic sheep, that can only follow.
  • topdaddy
    OP your comfort or lack of, means you are not a competent driver.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 22nd May 14, 9:49 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    rs65
    I indicated left to say that I was driving slow so if you want to overtake by all means do so.
    Originally posted by londonTiger
    That is not what indicators say to other drivers.

You and the OP should not be on the road.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 22nd May 14, 9:55 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 7,462 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    It's not the actual speed that matters, particularly on a motorway, it's the relative speed. If two cars are travelling in the same direction on the same road, at the same speed, they are highly unlikely to hit each other. However, if the one in front is doing 55 and the one behind is doing 70, it becomes more likely.

Go a bit faster - you never know, you might enjoy it.
    • nobbysn*ts
    • By nobbysn*ts 22nd May 14, 9:59 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    nobbysn*ts
    It's not the actual speed that matters, particularly on a motorway, it's the relative speed. If two cars are travelling in the same direction on the same road, at the same speed, they are highly unlikely to hit each other. However, if the one in front is doing 55 and the one behind is doing 70, it becomes more likely.

Go a bit faster - you never know, you might enjoy it.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    My car, fully loaded. 55mph - 33mpg, 70mph -28mpg. I wouldn't enjoy it.
    • dada44
    • By dada44 22nd May 14, 10:38 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    dada44
    If you're "failing to make adequate progress" even without other traffic around, then it can really only be your own driving that is "the issue".

Not necessarily - if it incites others to overtake inappropriately, then it can be a cause of collisions.

If you find driving at normal speeds stressful and difficult mentally, then - again - that it your own issue alone.

The one and only animal I've ever "run over" was a neighbour's chicken recently. At about 20mph, in an NSL. Since it wasn't laying, they actually thanked me...

You seem to be conflating "smoothly" with "slowly". It's possible to drive quickly and smoothly, just as it's possible to drive slowly and jerkily. IME, those who drive more slowly than average are often less smooth, too. In addition, if your lower speed means you're a gear lower, then you're probably using more fuel rather than less.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    i assume that most people won't want to read what i have to write, as it's quite involved. and you seem to have your own views, which i suspect won't be changed by mine. however, i don't agree with most of your points, even if you do frame them in a logical apperance, i don't believe experience supports them.

here goes

"if you're "failing to make adequate progress" even without other traffic around, then it can really only be your own driving that is "the issue"."

- what exactly do you mean by 'progress' ? and failing ? i drive 'normally' and often above speed limit when i need to. sometimes i find myself doing it naturally.

"Not necessarily - if it incites others to overtake inappropriately, then it can be a cause of collisions." -

yes, but if you look at the whole picture, on the whole, i am certain that driving slower is safer than driving faster.

"If you find driving at normal speeds stressful and difficult mentally, then - again - that it your own issue alone."

- i think most people would find it more stressful, or more demanding, as more is happening in the same period of time, than if you were driving slower, and so you need to process more, and be more alert. you frame this as to make it quite personal. I don't think i said i find it "difficult mentally", just that i prefer to drive slower, and it is LESS stressful.

"You seem to be conflating "smoothly" with "slowly". It's possible to drive quickly and smoothly, just as it's possible to drive slowly and jerkily. IME, those who drive more slowly than average are often less smooth, too. In addition, if your lower speed means you're a gear lower, then you're probably using more fuel rather than less. "

- IME that's not the case. I've often been in cars where people accelarate rapidly as soon as there is a green light, only to jerkily brake when there is a red light a few hundred metres down the road, only to have a slower car behind them catch up, in a much smoother fashion.
    Last edited by dada44; 22-05-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 22nd May 14, 10:43 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 3,375 Thanks
    sulphate
    I personally don't have a problem with slow drivers unless we are on a slip road approaching a motorway, and I'm stuck behind someone doing 40mph and can't get up to speed with the traffic on the motorway doing 70+ which has happened to me twice recently
    • colino
    • By colino 23rd May 14, 12:54 AM
    • 4,936 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    colino
    hickles69 if someone told you that for your test speed limit plus or minus 10% is acceptable is either an idiot or a liar. No examiner in the land is going to allow someone on test to speed.
    • dada44
    • By dada44 23rd May 14, 12:55 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    dada44
    ps, to those who feel qualified to say i am an unconfident driver at high speeds - have you ever thought you may be an unconfident driver at low speeds ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,644Posts Today

7,279Users online

Martin's Twitter