Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
    • FreddieM
    • By FreddieM 18th Sep 13, 9:38 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    FreddieM
    Beans used to be 450g per tin Now 400g (same price)
    Heinz soups exactly the same. Now down to 400g and the price of Heinz soups have doubled in 18 months.
    My rule of thumb with bacon is not the amount of rashers but the weight. You should pay no more than £1 for 200g else you are getting conned.
    Prepacked yoghurts have also shrunk in size but have risen in price.
    Large 4 pints of Milk have now become 2 litres A litre is 1.75 pints
    Be frugal out there..... No such thing as a bargain anymore ;-)
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
  • Russellf
    Whiskas and Felix multipacks used to be 48 pouches, now they are 44. Flora pro-active cholesterol lowering yoghurt drinks were 7 in a pack, now only 6!
  • ajd3
    Farmfoods Rhubabrb/Apple
    Farmfoods Rhubarb used to be £1 for 1kg, the bag size reduced a wee while ago to 750g and the sliced apple pack size has reduced from 750g to 500g while the price remains the same. They are the biggest size reductions I have come across.
    Last edited by ajd3; 19-09-2013 at 7:37 AM. Reason: forgot to put price info in
  • yakamalayo
    Hovis grrrrr...anary
    Fed up with Hovis. I like their sliced granary bread and while I don't keep a note of the weight, I can only seem to get the thick sliced now, not the medium sliced. So even if the loaf is the same weight, it has fewer slices so you get through it faster. I happen to prefer thinner slices anyway, but it's also a mean trick to sell fewer slices for the same price.
  • gazchaz
    Its annoying that the fruit shoot bottles have shrunk and now they want 2 in their lunch boxes so it costing me double (they love the stuff)
    Originally posted by Samchoco
    We got our little boy a sports bottle and fill with squash, its cheaper and also less waste/recycling.
    • JustLikeThat
    • By JustLikeThat 19th Sep 13, 10:53 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    JustLikeThat
    My complaint is not about a shrinking size but an enlarged one. we used to buy red or white pure grape juice (not juice drink) for 85p a litre carton. They now only stock the 1.5 litre carton at £1.89. Do the maths and it works out as an increase of 41p per litre because of the repackaging.
  • Mrs Peeps
    Morrisons - again
    Not from concentrate juices used to be 3 x 1 litre cartons for £3.50. It repackaged the juice into plastic bottles of 900 ml and kept the price the same. Rotters!
    Problem is I really like the juices ....
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Sep 13, 4:18 PM
    • 21,000 Posts
    • 124,388 Thanks
    maman
    Farmfoods Rhubarb used to be £1 for 1kg, the bag size reduced a wee while ago to 750g and the sliced apple pack size has reduced from 750g to 500g while the price remains the same. They are the biggest size reductions I have come across.
    Originally posted by ajd3
    I noticed on the flyer that came from Farmfoods that the bags of smoked haddock were now 450g instead of 500g. It's still good value at 900g for £5 but yet another sneaky price increase. Fortunately, 500g bags still in stock when I got mine last week.
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 19th Sep 13, 4:32 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 2,394 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Super noodles appear to have reduced size of the noodle nests.
  • fionajbanana

It's easy to think things used to be bigger (Martin remembers when Wagon Wheels were twice the size of his hands!) so please try and back it up with the stats and measures if you can.
    Originally posted by MSE Debs
    I have never seen an image of these Wagon Wheels on the internet. I have seen images of other packaging from the 60s and 70s. Could someone please show me a photo of it? I want it to be held by someone for size comparison.
  • fionajbanana
    I've notivced that multipacks are changing

Some beans etc are coming in 3's now but I used to get 4 for £1 on offer. Noticed the same with chocolate bars too. Those aren't always 4 packs now, again moving to only 3 bars..... These are both in infancy, but I'm sure it won't be long before that's the norm......
    Originally posted by twigpig
    Mars, Snickers, Rolos, Smarties and the various Cadbury multipacks are in 4 in supermarkets and 3 in pound shops. Stock up on the 4s when they are on offer for £1 at supermarkets.
  • Edwardia
    Heinz Classics soups 300g can in Poundland 3 x 300g for £2 but 400g can on offer Sainsbury's 3 x400g for 2.50 to 01/10

Edited to add that 99p Stores has 2 Heinz Classics cream of tomato soup for 99p but they are only 295g cans.
    Last edited by Edwardia; 19-09-2013 at 6:35 PM.
    • brown dog
    • By brown dog 20th Sep 13, 4:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    brown dog
    brown dog
    Hi,I used to buy Morrisons value toad in the hole where you got two in the box for £1.00 now they've changed the box and only put 1 in which is very slightly bigger than the previous ones but it's still £1.00! I don't think this is the only thing they've done this to and means that now if I buy them for our family of four it costs me £4.00 instead of £2.00!100% increase!!
    • Lyndi7
    • By Lyndi7 21st Sep 13, 5:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lyndi7
    3 Packets of Salmon fillets for £10
    Has anyone else noticed that the "offer" of 3 packets salmon fillets for £10 at both Tesco and Sainsbury's have shrunk in size - each salmon fillet in each 2 fillet pack is now so much thinner (smaller) than previously. So the £10 deal is not such a good deal anymore.
  • fionajbanana
    Has anyone else noticed that the "offer" of 3 packets salmon fillets for £10 at both Tesco and Sainsbury's have shrunk in size - each salmon fillet in each 2 fillet pack is now so much thinner (smaller) than previously. So the £10 deal is not such a good deal anymore.
    Originally posted by Lyndi7
    Why do people have to think you need to buy all 3 packs of the same meat on the 3 for £10 deal?

I always buy different meats - mince, chicken breasts and another. I once had the customer behind me saying to me 'the deal isn't going to work'
    • Whitemonk
    • By Whitemonk 22nd Sep 13, 9:22 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Whitemonk
    Why do people have to think you need to buy all 3 packs of the same meat on the 3 for £10 deal?

I always buy different meats - mince, chicken breasts and another. I once had the customer behind me saying to me 'the deal isn't going to work'
    Originally posted by fionajbanana
    This is a pick'n'mix deal. It's good for a weekly shop. Not so good now if you just want three of one item, especially the salmon fillets, which we like on the 'buy one to eat now and freeze the other two down' scenario. The main problem now is that the individual portions are now too small. It's much easier with the mince, whole chicken and diddy lamb chops to vary the portions.

For us, it's a bit of an own goal for Tesco/Sainsbury. We are fortunate in having a couple of reasonable fishmongers close by so that we can buy our salmon and ask them to cut the fish up to our requirements at the time of purchase and probably get a better deal.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Sep 13, 10:49 AM
    • 31,843 Posts
    • 66,125 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Toblerone went from 200g to 175g - but, it's now available in £shops, so really, their loss is our gain!
    Originally posted by gloriouslyhappy
    I remember the days of 400g Toblerones at the 99p Shop - maybe 6 years ago?

This was pointed out by a checkout assistant at waitrose - Innocent smoothness got smaller, price stayed the same. In case anyone from Innocent is reading, I never bought the product again. Funny how you get vivid indicators when it is 33% extra or "New Bigger Pack" but not when it is the other way around... it is quite deceiving, good if you're on a diet I suppose
    Incidentally, has Martin factored in that his hands have grown...?
    Originally posted by endafk
    Much cheaper to make your own, and you know what has gone into it using your own frozen fruit, no preservatives, and I was surprised to find that it stayed stable in the fridge for 48 hours. I wouldn't want to consume it much longer than after that, though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 22nd Sep 13, 11:18 AM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    Have smoothies got 20% tax on them?
  • mitch12
    same old really people complain about price increases and size reductions yet people still buy the items etc only way can change it is people not buying them
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Sep 13, 11:32 AM
    • 31,843 Posts
    • 66,125 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    same old really people complain about price increases and size reductions yet people still buy the items etc only way can change it is people not buying them
    Originally posted by mitch12
    Many of us put our money whe our mouths are and don't spend on luxuries we consider to be poor value. Lurk on the OS board to identify who's who...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,372Posts Today

6,808Users online

Martin's Twitter