Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 589
    • hildosaver
    • By hildosaver 7th Oct 19, 8:25 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    hildosaver
    I was delayed last Sunday by 11 hours due to a bird strike on the plane I was due to get from London Heathrow to Belfast.

Aer Lingus have rejected my compensation claim unfortunately. I'm assuming that's the end of it or could I go back to them claiming they had been unable to get me on an earlier replacement flight (there were at least 2 but all full-up by the time I was dealt with).

I'm assuming I'm clutching at straws here but what do you think?
    Mortgage balance September 2012: £121,086 (First ever OP)
    Mortgage balance June 2019: £73,650
    • Dan-1987
    • By Dan-1987 8th Oct 19, 8:35 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Dan-1987
    Looking for some advice,had an issue a few months back with a jet2 flight,I’ve since complained through the correct procedure and have just had a response stating that they won’t be issuing any compensation,I’m determined to pursue this and wondered if any one had any advice about how to approach this?

I booked direct with jet2 (flight only) For a flight on the 19th May 2019 from Manchester to lanzarote departure time of 15.45,the passengers on our booking were myself,my girlfriend & our 4 month old daughter.We boarded the plane as usual no issues but after a delay of an hour or so they informed us there was an issue refuelling and hopefully we’d be sorted soon,long story short we weren’t and eventually it turned out that Manchester airport had a huge fuelling issue that day and we wouldn’t be going anywhere,we left the aircraft and had to wait for a replacement flight later that night,eventually we boarded and departed on that replacement flight at approx 22.30 that night however after being in the air approx 3 hours
    they then announced that we would be unable to land at lanzarote & instead would be diverted to gran canaria where we would be put up in a hotel and,later the next evening (once the staff had had their 12 hours rest time) we would be flown to lanzarote.We arrived at our hotel for the night at approx 4.30 am to find that there wasn’t any sleeping facilities available for an infant! By this point we were tired and very angry given that when we spoke to a jet2 rep at the airport I specifically asked if the hotel/room would be equipped for an infant which I was assured it absolutely would be!
    As you can imagine it was an absolute nightmare,especially given that we’d been awake all day already!
    Eventually the following evening at 19.30 we were flown to lanzarote,so by the time we arrived at our hotel we were over 24 hours late.

Need to know where I stand with this,Ideally I’d like the flight refunding at least.Does this sound reasonable?
    I’m stuck in that I can’t use the usual templates and legislation to make a claim due to the circumstances.

Thanks in advance
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Oct 19, 8:53 AM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 8,140 Thanks
    Caz3121
    you have already posted this a couple of posts back. As advised post on the Jet2 thread. There were a large number of flights cancelled that day so there may be similar posts
    • Dan-1987
    • By Dan-1987 8th Oct 19, 10:48 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Dan-1987
    Ah yeh see it now,I didn’t think it the reply had worked yesterday when I wrote it!
    It’s not so much the delays caused by the refuelling that was the issue,the sleeping arrangements or lack of for my daughter was the main problem for us.
    I’ll head over to the jet2 thread & take a look

Thanks
    • Bill p
    • By Bill p 14th Oct 19, 10:15 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bill p
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for your reply and advice I will follow the advice and hopefully get a satisfactory outcome. Thanks again Bill p
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 14th Oct 19, 9:12 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Bill, Which airline was it?
    • JP368
    • By JP368 14th Oct 19, 10:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JP368
    Flight compensation miscalculated
    Our flight with Airtransat to Vancouver was delayed by 24 hrs in August. We applied for compensation and they came back with an offer of £1442 per person which we accepted. They have now replied saying that due to a currency conversion error they have reduced the offer to £522 each. Does anyone know if the original offer is legally binding or do we need to accept the revised offer which I believe is the maximum they are obliged to pay under EU regulations? Many thanks
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 14th Oct 19, 11:16 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Justice13075
    It is quite clearly a conversion error. The most compensation you get is €600 which funnily enough will be around the figure £522 when converted. I assume if you tried to sue them for the initial offer you will have a fight on your hands. I don't know if children are involved but if they are no matter how old they are the compensation is theirs, not yours.
    • Bill p
    • By Bill p 21st Oct 19, 7:41 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bill p
    Reply to Justice 13075
    Hi Justice,
    The airline concerned was easyjet.
    Thanks Bill
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 21st Oct 19, 7:48 AM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Justice13075
    You now need to contact them and ask for a deadlock letter so you can go to Arbitration.
    • gm786
    • By gm786 12th Nov 19, 10:29 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gm786
    Thanks all
    We have made a start with ADR using SÖP.
    I will come and post here once I hear.
    If they don't agree and reject, next stop is EUCLAIM.
    really grateful to everyone who took time to reply.
    Originally posted by gm786
    Update 12/11/19
    We raised our claim with ADR using SÖP.
    Had an email almost 2 months later where the solicitors suggested 75%of ticket prices + taxi fare from London to Birmingham as an amicable resolution.
    To our surprise, as soon as we replied with our confirmation to accept this, we received an email from the solicitors at SÖP in les than 24 hours to say Swiss Air had accepted it as an out of court settlement and will be contacting us for repayment. SÖP asked for our bank details which we gave. Didn't receive any call or mail from airline but can see an amount being initiated into our bank account for payment tomm.
    I wouldn't have been at this stage without the valuable guidance and support I received from this forum
    Thanks guys.. You all rock! 🥳
    • DaveyP13
    • By DaveyP13 13th Nov 19, 8:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveyP13
    Can someone give me some advice on my recent delay with Lufthansa. Me and my family were on a flight from Sophia to Manchester via Frankfurt. The initial flight was delayed for 50 minutes without explanation so we missed our connecting flights. At Frankfurt we were give a later flight some five hours later. At this time Lufthansa gave us forty euros of vouchers for food and a rep advised us we could make a claim for delay.

So we arrived at Manchester over 5 hours late and now Lufthansa are saying we are not eligible for compensation. They state the flights were affected by a third party. I looked at the incoming flights for Sophia and no others appeared to be delayed. They have offered 100 euro as a gesture of good will but I am yet to accept.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Dave
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 13th Nov 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Start by putting your flight details into euclaim and bottonline
    • DaveyP13
    • By DaveyP13 14th Nov 19, 8:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveyP13
    So I checked with the two sites and they say I am eligible. I gave Lufthansa the news and they are sticking to their guns on this one. So is it best to use one of the aforementioned companies?

Thanks for all your advice.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 15th Nov 19, 8:38 AM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Justice13075
    You would be due €1600 euros, if you did it yourselves but you can hand it to one of the companies they will take around a third around €500. leaving you around €1100. But then you have no hassle and they are experts.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 17th Nov 19, 7:54 AM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    rosie383
    Just got our comp through Bott & Co.
    Just a wee update. After Vueling refused our claim back in August 2018, we used the services of Bott & Co. Very efficient, kept us updated throughout and we have now received £218 each.
    Well worth the fees because we would have got nothing without them.

Thanks to all on this thread for your help and guidance through the early days off our claim.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • beckyblondon83
    • By beckyblondon83 18th Nov 19, 10:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    beckyblondon83
    I have a rather complex issue with BA to which I can't seem to find an answer. I attended a conference in Nova Scotia and they booked me a ticket via British Airways. It was a LHR > Toronto > Halifax - return ticket, with BA operating the London > Toronto leg and WestJet operating the Toronto > Halifax leg.

Outbound journey went fine. On the return leg we arrived at Halifax airport to find out that our Halifax to Toronto flight was cancelled, due to weather issues. When I reopened my BA app, it showed that I had been rebooked for the same flight 2 days later. I went to the WestJet counter straight away and was told that the best they could do was a rerouting the next day via Montreal with a 12 hour layover. I was offered no further offers of assistance such as a hotel.

I called BA, I naively thought that as a European ticket and a Silver Exec member they would try to resolve the issue in a more suitable manner. Got through to an indifferent member of the Customer Services team who said there was nothing further they could offer and they were not willing to re-route me on another airline, despite Air Canada having tickets that would get me home at a comparable time to my original ticket. She said they would be willing to refund half of my original ticket (£255), I explained that was seriously insufficient given a replacement ticket at the very last moment was £730.

Not wanting to be stranded in Halifax and worried I would miss the last option to get home (there was only a few tickets left on the one flight that day suitable), without a hotel and lose at least a day of work I bought a new one way ticket with Air Canada (£730) home, via Montreal. There were some issues (to say the least) but I got home only 3 1/2 hours late due to the new ticket, despite the weather.

I complained to BA as soon as I got home. They have said it's not their problem as the BA Toronto > London flight flew on time, and I need to take it up with WestJet. WestJet says talk to BA. BA are no longer offering their half refund either.

Canadian laws look like they are changing next month to give me more rights, but that's not much use to me at the moment. It's unclear if my European rights apply, looks like it's untested.

I have travel insurance in many different ways, but I'm not sure I'm covered for this flight, still checking my various policies.

I feel like I'm going crazy, but this indifference is totally unacceptable. If I'd have waited for BA/WestJet's proposed flight, I would have lost a days work and costs of a hotel and subsistence in hotels for another day.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Becky
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Nov 19, 10:42 PM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 8,140 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Westjet cancellation - best to try travel insurance
    • broonbear
    • By broonbear 19th Nov 19, 8:38 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    broonbear
    Ryanair flight delayed from Tenerife to Edinburgh 10/11/2019 for 12 hours , submitted form on website the following night 2x 400 euros paid into my account last night . couldn't believe it was sorted so quickly
    • dashdakota
    • By dashdakota 19th Nov 19, 9:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dashdakota
    Who do I claim from? Virgin or Delta?
    Hi, I am a newbie so please bear with me.

I booked a holiday to Vegas with Virgin Holidays, no problems outbound LHR>LAS direct with Virgin Atlantic.

The return journey had first sector to LAX as codeshare with Delta, 1hr 15m layover then connect to VA flight to LHR. The Delta flight was delayed by almost two hours due to a 'maintenance issue' and I was advised that I would not make my connecting flight to Heathrow.
    I was put on alternative flights the following day which resulted in a 20 hour total delay from when I should have arrived at Heathrow.

Originally, at the gate I accepted alternative flights with Delta but when I got to my hotel I had a look at available flights and found better options (less changes and total duration). When I called Virgin they advised that the booking had been taken over by Delta as it was their mistake and to call Delta (which I did).

I have followed advice from this thread and looked at Bott&Co (but did not give them my details as I wish to represent myself), it seems that I am eligible for EU compensation as the return flights were made on one booking.

However I am confused - who I should make a complaint to, Virgin Holidays, Virgin Atlantic or Delta?

Many thanks for any help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,590Posts Today

6,768Users online

Martin's Twitter